Texas Fishing Forum

Garmin Pros/Cons

Posted By: blackhorse

Garmin Pros/Cons - 06/03/17 03:53 PM

going to replace old electronics looked at Garmin and biggest concern is wiring goes directly into mount.
Is this the same type that Humminbird used to use? Had those before and they were terrible, would always lose connection in any slightly rough water.
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Garmin Pros/Cons - 06/03/17 04:09 PM

Have a Garmin 73SV and a Garmin 551DV.No problems with the wiring going into the mount.Actually like the quick disconnect feature this creates.The wiring is very strong and durable.

Re: Garmin Pros/Cons - 06/03/17 04:16 PM

yes i liked the feature on HB 798 but hated it losing contact while boat was on plane

Re: Garmin Pros/Cons - 06/03/17 04:16 PM

thx for the input
Posted By: FWFish

Re: Garmin Pros/Cons - 06/03/17 07:28 PM

I have a 93sv and 73 dv, no issues. I don't use the quick disconnect much.
Posted By: Wes H

Re: Garmin Pros/Cons - 06/03/17 07:49 PM

Also have a 93sv and 73dv and have never had an issue. When you plug the cables in there is a little cover piece that locks them into the unit so there is almost no way for them to jar free.

I miss the shortcut buttons on my humminbird and the lack of navionics maps is annoying, but other than that I am very satisfied with the units.
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Garmin Pros/Cons - 06/03/17 08:45 PM

I have a 93sv and a 53cv. I've never had an issue with the wiring losing connection. I like the disconnect feature as I take my graphs off after every trip. I have been very pleased so far with my Garmin units.
Posted By: Corey Stanley

Re: Garmin Pros/Cons - 06/09/17 03:53 PM

Garmin does have some really cool features that show incredible detail on some of their scan technolgies, just hate that you are forced to use only their mapping. On lakes they have scanned it is pretty decent, just havent scanned many. Other units(Bird, Lowrance, Raymarine) each of multiple mapping options so you have a much better shot at getting quality mapping for the areas you fish. What did you mean about you Humminbird losing connection? I have had all the 1100 series and never had an issue and the Helix is even better, the wiring locks into place and does not budge.

Re: Garmin Pros/Cons - 06/09/17 08:48 PM

the HB 700 series has quick release where the whole unit snaps on and off. not the same as the 1100 series.
if Garmin hasn't scanned Whitney that's a deal breaker, since I live here.
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Garmin Pros/Cons - 06/09/17 09:22 PM

They have 1' contours across Whitney
Posted By: Jason Hoffman -- Lake Fork Guide

Re: Garmin Pros/Cons - 06/10/17 12:10 AM

I really like my Garmins, and I use them everyday. They have surveyed quite a few lakes, and I can tell you, their maps are MUCH more accurate than others. There are several humps that I knew of on Lake Fork that Garmin maps show that don't show up on other maps.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum