Texas Fishing Forum

Hookset on a dropshot

Posted By: kirbydog

Hookset on a dropshot - 06/03/17 03:06 PM

I find it hard to do the sweep set or just reel against the fish when I get bit on a dropshot. Anybody else have this problem-when I get bit I just naturally do a firmer hookset and I'm missing some fish with those tiny little hooks made for a dropshot.. So I've gone to using a 1/0 or 2/0 EWG hook and that allows me to do the hookset like I'm used to doing it.

Anybody else using a bigger hook on their dropshot.
Posted By: Wise 1

Re: Hookset on a dropshot - 06/03/17 03:20 PM

I use a 1.0 Gamakatsu Shiner hook, always seems to get them right in the roof of their mouth.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Hookset on a dropshot - 06/03/17 03:25 PM

I use a 1/0 Owner rig n hook and just quick set upwards. No sweep, no reel just a quick upward motion. Works every time.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Hookset on a dropshot - 06/03/17 04:31 PM

just reel till the rod loads, then you can do whatever.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Hookset on a dropshot - 06/03/17 04:36 PM

I've settled n a 1/0 Trokar drop-shot or octopus hook and reel in then pull back but not viciously or I snap my line. you are going to lose some drop shot fish, just the nature of it.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Hookset on a dropshot - 06/03/17 04:41 PM

I use a size 1 Gamakatsu drop shot / split shot hook, mind you I'm using either a 4 1/2" or a 6" Roboworm. I've yet to have issues
I use more of sweeping hook set. I use 10 pound fluorocarbon and medium action baitcast rod. I have landed up to 9 pound bass with this set up.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Hookset on a dropshot - 06/03/17 08:28 PM

Smaller the better.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Hookset on a dropshot - 06/03/17 10:40 PM

Rebarb hook! Set it however you want..
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Hookset on a dropshot - 06/03/17 10:41 PM

I use 1/0 to 3/0 EWG hooks on my drop shot rigs. I get to load up on them. If someone is using circle hooks for their drop shot, just reeling will set it, but I use the WEG hooks. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Hookset on a dropshot - 06/03/17 10:44 PM

when I first started drop shotting, the little number 6 Gamakatsu split shot drop shot hook was what I was advised to use. This was with 8-10lb florocarbon line and just reeling the line faster when the fish loads up on the bait. That was about 10 years ago for me and I was just never really comfortable with that rig.. either missing fish on the set or having my line break. I was fishing in a really clear lake in North Georgia at the time, so that mandated some of those parameters, but fishing in primarily Joe Pool.. which is stained at the least and muddy at the worst.. I have adjusted to 30lb braid with a 12lb floro leader and a 1/0 Drop Shot hook. I always do a fairly small hook set straight up.. relative to a texas rig hook set.. but still a hook set and straight up as opposed to sideways sweep. That has worked really well for me.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Hookset on a dropshot - 06/03/17 10:59 PM

Straight upward hookset
Posted By: Cheesehead Wes

Re: Hookset on a dropshot - 06/04/17 01:27 AM

I do a lot of mag dropshotting with a 3/0-5/0 EWG hook. if i'm in the middle of the cover I will set the hook like a txrig bc I want the fish to come out of the cover fast. If i'm just letting the fish load up i can't control where the fish takes me and i lose said fish.
Posted By: Jswanz58

Re: Hookset on a dropshot - 06/04/17 02:15 AM

When setting hook on a drop shot don't jerk it like a jig. Reel and lift your rod or sweep just enough to get a good bend. Also depends on hook. I ONLY use rebarb hooks and fish usually get themselves
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Hookset on a dropshot - 06/04/17 02:43 AM

I use a medium light rod for drop shot because I have the same issue. This rod flexes soooo much I have better luck with it. Wish me luck when I hook into a big one though..hasn't happened yet. Biggest is 3 pounds or so and it felt like a blue cat.
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: Hookset on a dropshot - 06/04/17 03:12 AM

I use a 1/0 EWG owner with a 1/2oz weight, I'm able to use a MH casting rod which I like a lot better. most people refer to this a power shotting and theres people that use a jig as the weight.
Posted By: Mega23

Re: Hookset on a dropshot - 06/04/17 04:17 AM

Yep, truly the best for drop shot
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum