Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing in the rain

Posted By: junbengreat

Fishing in the rain - 06/02/17 01:43 PM

Is it good, bad, or doesn't really matter?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Fishing in the rain - 06/02/17 02:25 PM

Calm, light drizzle and heavy cover is my best top water days with a Spook. My best days have been on the river trees in 3 to 5 ft. of water. The thicker the trees and larger trees have been best. I call it "Walk and Bump". Then let it sit.

Stormy days with one coming across after the other is my best Orange Spinner Bait days.
Big Bass are on the move and looking for heavy cover, like hardwoods with grass to group up in. Work the back of the creeks looking for the small flats on the inside bends with heavy cover on top. They will be very aggressive to Orange and seem to come from both directions of the creek to group up there.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Fishing in the rain - 06/02/17 03:26 PM

Love fishing in light rain.
No fireworks though or I'm gone..... bolt
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: Fishing in the rain - 06/02/17 03:31 PM

Love fishing in light rain, not a downpour.
Posted By: jwcromer

Re: Fishing in the rain - 06/02/17 05:05 PM

best day I ever had was a down pour,fish don't care they are already wet...................
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Fishing in the rain - 06/02/17 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: jwcromer
best day I ever had was a down pour,fish don't care they are already wet...................

Me too!
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Fishing in the rain - 06/02/17 06:25 PM

When I've dug into data on this I haven't seen much of a positive or negative effect. That said, fishing effort drops dramatically, so I suspect catch rates actually increase somewhat in light to moderate rain.

cloud cover is good. Rain keeps others off the water, and that is good as well. Overall I'm a fan.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Fishing in the rain - 06/02/17 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: jwcromer
really? I have heard they hate to get wet. roflmao
Posted By: BassCrankin

Re: Fishing in the rain - 06/02/17 06:45 PM

Fishing always seems to be good for me in the rain. I usually throw a Spook or some sort of topwater (Frog, Yellow Magic, Buzzbait) through the timber, just above the timber if the lake is full pool, or throw in or near cover. Just a week or so ago it started raining on me and I started with a Spook in a cove that I knew had flooded timber and caught several in no time, then I started fishing a Frog in and near cover when the rain eased up to a light sprinkle and caught a handful more. Just throw on some rain gear, getcha a big Ole dip of Copensnuff, and fish away. I plan on going Sunday if it isn't raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock or spitting electricity.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Fishing in the rain - 06/02/17 08:09 PM

Light rain is fine, recall doing a few tournaments with my partner wife, it rained all day from staging through weigh=in and all the way home. We did fairly well also. Now with lighting it's Get Off The Water Time!!!
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Fishing in the rain - 06/02/17 10:05 PM

Best day I had on Roberts for volume was a very rainy day. Nothing huge, but we wacked them. Bilge was running a lot that day to give you an idea how much rain. Lightning, and I'm out.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Fishing in the rain - 06/02/17 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: El Skeeter
Light rain is fine, recall doing a few tournaments with my partner wife, it rained all day from staging through weigh=in and all the way home. We did fairly well also. Now with lighting it's Get Off The Water Time!!!
I've done out of state tourneys where it was raining here when I loaded the truck and boat....rained the whole week prefishing, then the tourney was a mud hole....then rained all the way back to Texas. Those kinda trips will make a single rainy day on the lake a cake walk.
Posted By: mbassn

Re: Fishing in the rain - 06/02/17 11:22 PM

I love fishing in the rain, drizzle or down pour. The low pressure gets the fish active. They do seem to act differently depending on size for some reason though. Seems like the smaller fish (3 pounds or less) seem to scatter along the outer edges of cover (grass lines, timber, docks, etc) and the larger fish seem to bunch together a little tighter cover. The harder the rain the tighter the bunch and the tighter to cover. Either way the fish become pretty aggressive.
Posted By: cbeathard

Re: Fishing in the rain - 06/03/17 02:06 AM

topwater topwater topwater
black buzz bait black buzz bait black buzz bait
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum