Texas Fishing Forum

12v battery questions...

Posted By: RJF1423

12v battery questions... - 06/01/17 12:53 AM

Bought a boat that hasn't been used in over a year...

I'm assuming if a cranking battery shows 3.6 v its gone bad? Put it on the charger and there's no progress.

Also, I have another trolling motor battery I'm trying to check on. It has been on the charger since around 9 am and it does show a small amount of progress and when I unplug the charger it shows to have around 12.6v. What do y'all think?
Posted By: HItec Redneck

Re: 12v battery questions... - 06/01/17 12:58 AM

I would replace the cranking battery without thinking twice about it. It sounds like they are all bad based on your results. When batteries stay discharged for long periods of time they will never be the same again.
Posted By: RJF1423

Re: 12v battery questions... - 06/01/17 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: HItec Redneck
I would replace the cranking battery without thinking twice about it. It sounds like they are all bad based on your results. When batteries stay discharged for long periods of time they will never be the same again.
I was really hoping that at least one would be ok... Wishful thinking I guess. After just buying a boat I want to cut out as many expenses as possible.
Posted By: emorydog

Re: 12v battery questions... - 06/01/17 01:29 AM

I have three blue top optimas I'll sell you for $25 ea. Still hold a good charge and been using them, I have two group 27 I used for trolling and a smaller cranking. Are several years old but can't take a chance with a bay boat that far from shore.....just replaced all 4 the other day and one grp 27 gone bad three still good Might get you a year on the cheap. Shoot a pm if interested I'm in Emory.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: 12v battery questions... - 06/01/17 01:39 AM

A 12 volt battery reading 11 volts is dead....one reading that low is trash.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: 12v battery questions... - 06/01/17 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: RJF1423
Originally Posted By: HItec Redneck
I was really hoping that at least one would be ok... Wishful thinking I guess. After just buying a boat I want to cut out as many expenses as possible.
unfortunately....buying a new boat is expensive...buying a used boat is more expensive. Set aside a fixed amount every month for boat repairs and you'll be fine. I speak from experience. I have 3x more money invested in maintaining and upgrading my boat than it's worth on NADA.
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: 12v battery questions... - 06/01/17 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: RJF1423
[quote=HItec Redneck]After just buying a boat I want to cut out as many expenses as possible.

If you don't replace those batteries, you won't be thinking that it was all that great saving money when those batteries shut down a fishing trip.

It's best to just replace them all and have the peace of mind that they're good for a few years. Plus by starting fresh, you can maintain them properly from the get-go (keep water in them, and charge them up right after being used).
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum