Texas Fishing Forum

Two fishing off front deck...

Posted By: Raskydoo

Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 04:15 PM

When there are only two in a boat, why do both fish off front deck? My boat isn't that big but there's still more than ample room to fish off the back deck. I've never even thought about leaving the back deck to go "hold hands" with the person fishing up front.

Why do so many people fish two off front deck and leave the back empty?
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 04:17 PM

Bromance?
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 04:19 PM

noidea Lovers!
Posted By: Chet

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 04:26 PM

To help avoid fishing used water.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 04:44 PM

In a team tournament, you can better see where your partner is casting, and what he is throwing to "work together". Sometimes it gets in the way if you're working small targets, but it definitely prevents the casting way forward from the back deck and blocking the front deck.

I like my back-deck partner to work differently than me until we are on a pattern. If I am fishing shallow and/or slow, they can fish the deep side or get multiple casts at different angles from targets I skipped over. I'll even save some specifically for the back deck when fishing team tournaments, it takes communication that I haven't mastered to point those out...
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 04:53 PM

I can't stand anyone on my back deck. If you fish with you will be up front with me.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 04:57 PM

this subject reminded me about 1 time I was fishing Welsh and saw 2 guys out there fishing front deck in matching rain suits........ that was cute.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 05:02 PM

I'm not standing up there....never....I catch fish partners miss and I don't have to run the boat.
Posted By: Raskydoo

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Dubee
I can't stand anyone on my back deck. If you fish with you will be up front with me.

Why?

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 05:42 PM

Makes boat control easier. Don't have to worry about where the back end is. Also if i need to step off the trolling motor in the wind. You are right there to take over.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 05:46 PM

I don't care either way. It's their choice. Plenty of room up front or they can stay on the back deck.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 06:00 PM

Bass fishermen are a competitive breed in general. One of my buds that I used to fish with a lot would get right on the nose of the boat with me running the TM. He would get so excited when the fish were biting, trying to hit the prime spots first, he would be standing in front of the trolling motor foot pedal.

I told him one day at Monticello, "Bro, I bought way too big a boat". He asked why do you think that??

I said, "Well, I have a 20 foot boat and we are standing on the front 3 feet of it!"

He turns around and realizes where he is standing and says "Ha! I see what you mean" but he still wouldn't go to the back. LOLS
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 06:26 PM

When im the nonboater i jump from front to back to hit the angles i want.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 06:34 PM

If you fish off shore in the waves, it's easier to control a boat with more of the weight up front
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 07:52 PM

I like fishing two up front, easier if there is a partner you're accustomed to fishing with.
Posted By: djones03

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 08:58 PM

I fish out of a Pantera II (19 ft boat), our club is individual and I usually have a buddy fish out of the back. I prefer he stays in the back, as I feel it crowds me up front. If we were fishing team format, I could see it being beneficial, depending on how we are fishing though.
Posted By: dandeeks

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 08:58 PM

because you can not have the boat setup in the ideal position and satisfy both front and back positions. Most likely, one of them will have way less targets to cast too.. often it is the back. There is a term for when the boater does this.. it's called front ending. With 2 experienced fisherman, it's a lot more fair and sometimes more fun to share the experience in the front.

That's the reason why.

Do what you want, and quit worrying about what the others are doing and you'll be fine wink
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/29/17 09:27 PM

I was sharing the back of my boat last weekend. Spot lock and wind made the back the better place to be for long Carolina rig casts. The rear deck is small on every boat. Not a lot of room. But, a right handed casting guy and a left handed casting guy made it work.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 01:36 AM

When someone is in the boat with me I always tell them they can fish up front with me or in the back. It doesn't make me any difference at all. The younger guys tend to want to be up front while the older guys like the idea of the back seat and being able to sit down. As long as you both work well together its a non-issue either way.

When I am in someone elses boat I just ask where they want me to fish. If they dont care where I fish I will usually spend about half the time up front and the other half in the back. No real reason for it......its just the way it usually works.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 02:32 AM

As long as both are in those new metro-sexual rompers for men on sale everywhere! https://youtu.be/pJ2W8tn7zl8
Posted By: Jswanz58

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 02:33 AM

No problem with 2 on the front deck!
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Raskydoo
Why do so many people fish two off front deck and leave the back empty?

Anymore it seems they are probably fighting for air time on the go-pro. laugh
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 04:24 AM

If we are bed fishn between docks its ok but other than that I want them in the back. 2 reasons. 1-I like to sweep my hookset most of the time and I don't want to cross their eyes. 2-I am worried about where they are standing [on my rods] even though I told them you can come up front just don't stepp on my rods. mad
Posted By: BASS GURU

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 06:24 AM

Here in Arizona many of our lakes are deep and steep. Some places three feet from the bank can be 50+ feet deep. When the fish are holding against the walls you need to position the boat tight to the bank and make long casts parallel to the bank. Hard to do if you stay in the back of the boat.
Posted By: Buckshotbuddy

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 11:51 AM

Seen too many people catch their partners trebles with 2 up front
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 01:07 PM

It all depends on how we are fishing. Going down a bank I prefer them to be in the back as we can get different angles on targets. Fishing offshore spot specific it's easier if we are both up front.
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 01:33 PM

More feet to step on my rods
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 02:12 PM

Depends on boat positioning. Sometimes, especially when pitching, it makes more sense for both guys to be up front. You aren't working the rod much and sometimes the wind makes boat positioning a little screwy. Now, 2 guys up front bombing crankbaits with 8' rods in open water? Dumb.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 02:23 PM

I'm dangerous enough to my partner from the back deck. To easy to hook or get hooked, or get in the way of a hook set standing next to each other. Sometimes you get a different angle on the back. I understand the control in the wind is not always what I would like it to be. Space is more important to me. Unless I can't be back there, I'm back there
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Dubee

Always
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 06:10 PM

Really depends on how and what you are fishing, sometimes when my buddy is crowding me I will make a sharp turn away from his side of the boat, lol, left turn Clyde.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 06:16 PM

IMO 2 righty's or 2 lefties is problem waiting to happen; however, 1 lefty and 1 righty works perfect.
Posted By: David Allen

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 06:29 PM

Doesn't work to well when fly fishing duel
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 06:44 PM

I just don't see how its feasible. Between casting, hooksets, and random fishing mishaps, two in the front equals one in the er.

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnButte
I just don't see how its feasible. Between casting, hooksets, and random fishing mishaps, two in the front equals one in the er.

Been doing it this way for 30+ yrs. Only time anyone has ever been hooked was when i took one to the head by my gf.
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 06:48 PM

I see a big benefit sight fishing or pitching/flipping. Unless it's a calm day, it's almost impossible to keep the boat parallel with the targets that are being fished.

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 08:42 PM

Actually the middle of the boat is the most dangerous place to stand. It is pretty hard to hook someone that is standing right next to you when you are casting.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/30/17 11:08 PM

It's pretty easy really. Been doing it for years and years and ain't got hooked yet.
Posted By: heybaylor

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/31/17 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Actually the middle of the boat is the most dangerous place to stand. It is pretty hard to hook someone that is standing right next to you when you are casting.

Kinda like walking behind a horse, either get real close ,or out of range away
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/31/17 01:07 AM

so you can both be on TV at same time,.. argue

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/31/17 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
so you can both be on TV at same time,.. argue

What? Not everyone is a db youtuber. I have never had a gopro in my boat.

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/31/17 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: heybaylor
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Kinda like walking behind a horse, either get real close ,or out of range away

Yessir!!
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/31/17 03:18 AM

The only time I don't like someone fishing on the front with me is when we are flipping within 20' of the boat. Seen and heard of two many people getting a tungsten weight to the face, or body in general...and apparently that's extremely painful. So no thanks.
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/31/17 04:19 AM

My buddy and I fish all over my boat when we are fishing tournaments together... I use all 20 feet, and so does he. With ipilot and spot lock these days, no longer always have to be tied to the trolling motor. Sometimes he's in back I'm up front, sometimes we switch, sometimes both up front, sometimes both in back. I stand all over the rub rail on my boat, alllllll the way around. From the very point beside my TM to the very back rail, and anywhere in between. Just depends on what we are fishing and what we are doing, but I sure use every inch of my boat and we walk around each other back and forth while we are doing it.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/31/17 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Buckshotbuddy
Seen too many people catch their partners trebles with 2 up front

This would be my concern.
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 05/31/17 10:23 AM

Some people like fishing from the front deck together. Maybe it's a hearing thing. Sometimes I fish from the front deck with my partner. If you casting will allow it without problems, what's the big deal.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 06/01/17 03:26 PM

Depends on what kind of areas we are fishing. If its deep, I will stay in back and I want my partner in back as well. If we are fishing to shallow targets, he can stay in back if he wants, but I WILL be up front if we are in his boat.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 06/01/17 05:29 PM

It doesn't matter to me. If you want to be up front, come on up, if you wanna be in the back, go ahead. I only ask that you watch where you're casting.
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 06/01/17 05:33 PM

Only on the kayak... banana

It is usually done to help make both anglers more efficient in fishing the more productive target(s), though this isn't always accomplished....this is one of those 'to each their own' deals...
Posted By: Lil' Louie

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 06/02/17 08:07 PM

Doesnt matter if he's in the front or back (hes always in the back) my ole man will still throw up in front of me or over my line just to jack with me roflmao
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 06/02/17 08:22 PM

one front, on back
Posted By: tsspencer2887

Re: Two fishing off front deck... - 06/02/17 09:25 PM

Most of the time, I feel comfortable to fish on the front deck but when Dad starts flinging a spinner bait or crank bait, I'm headed south.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum