Texas Fishing Forum

Prop size/pitch

Posted By: wlgorman

Prop size/pitch - 05/29/17 01:09 PM

Picked up an older Stratos last week. Was able to take it out and put it through the paces yesterday. Motor starts good, compression test (before I bought the boat) done by me is good. Fresh rebuild. Previous owner told me the prop was too big. He had a 27 raker and it wouldnt plane. 26 raker takes about 10-15 sec to plane w WQT RPM just above 4500.

Stats:
94 Stratos 201 XL Pro
94 Rude Vindicator 200
PTP: 3.5"
Current Prop: 14.25/23 Turbo.

What prop size/pitch would you guys run? Im not a speed demon, but would like an even trade between hole shot and top end.

Posted By: BigCaseyB206

Re: Prop size/pitch - 05/29/17 02:55 PM

24 p Raker II
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Prop size/pitch - 05/29/17 03:12 PM

Agreed.

26 is probably too much prop for that rig, especially in the summer. They make a 4 blade prop that may be a good alternative. My advice to you is to test every prop you can get your hands on. No two props will run the same, even the ones that are marked the same on the box.

Also keep in mind that heat & humidity zaps 10-15% of the power from your motor. There is a noticeable difference in how your motor performs in July versus December.

If you don't want to buy another prop, talk to a good prop guy like Josh at Steve Propeller or Bobby at B & B Props in North Richland Hills. They can most likely take the prop you have and tweak it so it performs much better than stock for not much $$

Re: Prop size/pitch - 05/29/17 03:58 PM

Ok it must have been dark the other day as I was completely wrong on my prop. It currently has a 14.25 23 Turbo prop on it.

I also have a 14.5 24 raker.

If the boat is only turning a hair above 4500 rpm, should I try the 24 raker? Going lower than 23p seems like it wouldnt be a prop issue, am I right?

Re: Prop size/pitch - 05/29/17 07:47 PM

Just measured prop to pad. 4" as best I can tell with boat and motor level. Would anyone expect a noticeable difference by raising the engine 1/2"??? Thats about all I can get off the manual plate.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Prop size/pitch - 05/29/17 09:56 PM

So with the 23 Turbo the maximum RPM is 4500? Is that WOT and fully trimmed out?

If so that is pretty low. I would expect to see about 5,500 RPMs with that prop. If not you may have other issues that are not prop related.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum