Posted By: Mark Perry

Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/26/17 08:06 PM

https://www.bassmaster.com/greg-hackney/bass-fishing-myths
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/26/17 08:45 PM

good stuff!
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/26/17 09:54 PM

Read that earlier this morning. Love how Hack is so matter of fact. Great observations.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/26/17 11:16 PM

First light is an advantage in Texas in August....for me. It's cooler. That's a BIG advantage to me. He's right though, I have caught some giant fish in the hottest part of the day in mid-Summer.

Fishing into the wind? I agree, not so much. To me the big picture is to fish on the wind blown side.

An East wind is trouble because here in Texas, it symptomatic of a newly passed cool or cold front. In May..no big deal. In February - with a 30 degree drop - much bigger deal.

High skies do pull the bass tight to cover usually. That can help.

thanks for posting it.

2cents

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/26/17 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan

First light is an advantage in Texas in August....for me. It's cooler. That's a BIG advantage to me. He's right though, I have caught some giant fish in the hottest part of the day in mid-Summer.

Fishing into the wind? I agree, not so much. To me the big picture is to fish on the wind blown side.

An East wind is trouble because here in Texas, it symptomatic of a newly passed cool or cold front. In May..no big deal. In February - with a 30 degree drop - much bigger deal.

High skies do pull the bass tight to cover usually. That can help.

thanks for posting it.

2cents

I will go with Hack on this one....lol
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/26/17 11:58 PM

Me too
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/27/17 01:52 AM

I bow to his greatness.
I'll stick with what I know works for me, here.

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/27/17 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan
I bow to his greatness.
I'll stick with what I know works for me, here.

Everyone has their own ways. Keep on keeping on. I have certain beliefs in fishing that are out of the norm.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/27/17 02:50 AM

The one absolute, there are no absolutes.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/27/17 11:07 AM

I wouldn't disagree with anything he said, I mean after all the pro's have to and do catch them in all conditions and all hours. How many times have you seen an instance when they caught the winning fish minutes before weigh in. I caught my 14.19 right after lunch. For me personally, I don't catch'em when the lake is flat, need a little chop on the water.
Posted By: cali kid

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/27/17 03:40 PM

Interesting read. About the early morning bite though, if I have a day to fish I am not waiting until 9 am to go, lol.
I have to get out there early! Caught many a sassy bass at or near first light.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/27/17 04:24 PM

Hackney just blew the excuses, a lot of people use because they can't catch fish, straight out of the water! roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/27/17 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Hackney just blew the excuses, a lot of people use because they can't catch fish, straight out of the water! roflmao roflmao roflmao

Yep.
Posted By: beeflover

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/27/17 08:13 PM

as far as catching fish I'm not going to argue with Greg Hackney!

He doesn't address the ascetics of fishing at all because nothing is better than than first magic hour after dawn on the lake! Maybe he'll get more fisherman sleeping in.
Posted By: retdbasser

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/27/17 09:05 PM

I watched the Texas Elite live cast at Rayburn and they had a list of the number of fish caught by the hour. Largest numbers of fish were caught in the first 3 hours. Fish were caught all day but numbers declined all day after 9 AM. Not saying this is always the case but interesting data for that lake and conditions.
Posted By: retdbasser

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/27/17 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Originally Posted By: Doug R.

Yep.

You guys are mean. whip
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/27/17 09:52 PM

More often than not he is wrong about the early morning bite (he knows it) BUT people (like myself) tend to use it as a handicap and just fish the first few hours then give up and head home.

Nowadays I tend to do as he described, sleep in then try to figure out the midday bite. It can be fun and rewarding some days and also make me want to drive into the dam on other days.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/28/17 12:14 PM

Excellent points. The only "myth" I still have is the full moon...I find the bite better later in the morning. I do like to hit the lake at daybreak but that has more to do with getting off the lake around noon to avoid the pleasure boaters. Before the Ultrex I'd fish with the wind and drop a drift-sock or two to slow me down or use the Talon in 11' or less. Never really thought about wind direction except for which bank would be a good run. I like it when the wind is blowing down a bank more than waves hammering straight on it. Love clear sky days but clear skies and no wind can get brutally hot. Breakfast is done and heading to Lavon to fish areas with a ton of trees to avoid the boaters.

The Hack knows fishing. Now if I can only improve my jig fishing. That's my lure for the day.
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/28/17 12:26 PM

i like to use the nature logic...if the cows are feeding, the fish are biting...

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/28/17 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: crapyetr
i like to use the nature logic...if the cows are feeding, the fish are biting...

Sounds awesome if you are trying to catch cows. Not sure a domesticared four legged animal has same eating habits as a bass in the wild.
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/28/17 01:40 PM

There are times of year where the very early morning bite is likely the best action of day. Like over the last month on most lakes where there was a good shad spawn. Phenomenal fish catching and you seriously are missing out if you don't think that early early bite is sometimes better, i.e. shad spawn. That said, his points make sense but I really doubt too many people believed those "myths" anyways.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/28/17 01:45 PM

I catch more early....and bigger fish always around 2 pm.

....and I know why!!

I'm energetic early and fish too fast, and sore mouth every dink in the lake. By 1 or 2, I've been hammering the lake for 8 hours and I'm tired, so I slow down and catch big ones.

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/28/17 02:02 PM

Yep, and if they're laying down you might as well stay home. "Don't believe me just watch, Bruno Mars"

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/28/17 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Yep, and if they're laying down you might as well stay home. "Don't believe me just watch, Bruno Mars"

So if cows are laying down in one pasture but another pasture up the road they are standing how will the bite be? What if a few to half are laying down in a pasture and ret are standing?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/28/17 02:42 PM

So if cows are laying down in one pasture but another pasture up the road they are standing how will the bite be? What if a few to half are laying down in a pasture and ret are standing?

The same at the lake....they are always biting somewhere. Just gotta find the right strectch of pasture.

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/28/17 04:17 PM

Ha Ha, we've had this discussion before Mark. More than once when I left the lake and either zero'd or only caught a couple of dinks I would notice the cows were laying down and chewing their cud. No scientific evidence to back this up just an observation on my part. Now if half or more are standing the fish will bite but be on the bottom, lol. My son is a rancher in Kansas with more than 1000 Black Angus and when I mentioned this to him he said 90% of the time if one cow is laying all will be laying and it means they are not feeling well and is an indicator that most animals don't feel well. He doesn't know if it has anything to do with barometer, wind direction, cloudy/sunny, etc. but the only thing cows do is eat and poop and if they're laying they can't do either. I don't let this prevent me from going and neither should anyone else, I just find it a coincidence and amusing.
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Hackney on bass fishing myths - 05/28/17 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I catch more early....and bigger fish always around 2 pm.

....and I know why!!

I'm energetic early and fish too fast, and sore mouth every dink in the lake. By 1 or 2, I've been hammering the lake for 8 hours and I'm tired, so I slow down and catch big ones.

Steez, is on the money. I don't think it's because he gets tired though. He knows to adapt and change with the conditions. Most peoples problem is they don't change. They start the day doing one thing when the fish are aggressive and it is working. The fish change so that technique dies. The fishermen don't change they just keep de
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum