Texas Fishing Forum

What size braid is best

Posted By: Ibock

What size braid is best - 05/25/17 04:14 PM

I throw mostly swim jigs,Chatterbaits, and carolina rig. What size braid?
Posted By: Brent S

Re: What size braid is best - 05/25/17 04:18 PM

Depending on cover. 40lb to 50lb
Posted By: criglizard

Re: What size braid is best - 05/25/17 04:22 PM

65lb

That said, I would throw those baits on flourocarbon unless you are fishing really heavy cover, but even then...

Tie some 15lb flouro on and maybe 17-20 for the Crig with a lighter leader. Of those 3 techniques, braid makes the most sense on the Crig with a different type of leader.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: What size braid is best - 05/25/17 04:48 PM

Tried braid for main line on C-rig last week. After snapping 2 leaders on fish, I realized you have to either not set the hook very hard or back the drag waaay off! I don't think I will use braid again for c-rig, too many breaking points on that rig and braid is not forgiving, guess I don't see the advantage. I was only using 30 lb braid to 15 lb Floro leader. Back to 17 lb Floro main with 15 lb big game leader.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: What size braid is best - 05/25/17 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Brent S

thumb
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: What size braid is best - 05/25/17 05:16 PM

i don't understand...why do you use 65lb braid and tie a 15lb leader to it...???...what's the point of the braid???
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: What size braid is best - 05/25/17 05:20 PM

You're using it as filler to take up space on the spool. Plus it's cheap and has great sensitivity. I've fished it both ways, straight 20lb flouro, or braid to a flouro leader. The fact that I can get my swivel and expensive tungsten weight back makes it worth it to fish braid. That, plus the added sensitivity. As far as line size goes, I use whatever size is closest in diameter to the leader I'm using.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: What size braid is best - 05/25/17 06:26 PM

I use Fluoro 90% of time on a c-rig, but I will use braid for the main line when I start getting into the 25 foot range. To me, it is much more sensitive. I can feel the bottom better, especially if there is 1 oz tungsten weight on there. I ease into the hooksets because as stated earlier, it will break off.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: What size braid is best - 05/25/17 06:29 PM

For me, it's 65 lb. for heavy vegetation bait casting reels and 20 lb. for spinning reels.
Posted By: JPost

Re: What size braid is best - 05/25/17 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: crapyetr
i don't understand...why do you use 65lb braid and tie a 15lb leader to it...???...what's the point of the braid???
It's not just about line strength. Someone else mentioned, braid as the main line allows for a much better feel on what's going on at the weight (bottom comp, cover, etc.). Also, if you get wrapped around a bush, tree, or whatever getting a fish in, braid is usually much better at not getting sheared off.

Little flex, good abrasion resistance are 2 reasons why braid is sometimes the best choice.

I agree, 65lb is usually a good choice. But lighter tests (30 is the lightest I go) work well too depending on the situation.
Posted By: Desert Angler

Re: What size braid is best - 05/25/17 07:21 PM

swim jigs I throw on 17lb Flouro, but I will occasionally throw them on braid if I am fishing heavy vegetation. As far as Carolina rigs, I quit using braid a long time ago for the main line because I felt as if I broke off more than I do with 20lb flouro. Im not sure if it was getting cut from shell beds, rocks, beads breaking, idk but I do know I hate losing tungsten weights and having to re tie the whole thing realmad
Posted By: Barn

Re: What size braid is best - 05/25/17 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
Originally Posted By: Brent S

thumb

Yup thumb
Posted By: TX Rigged Senko

Re: What size braid is best - 05/26/17 01:50 AM

I'd recommend 40lb and 65 if flipping or throwing into heavy cover
Posted By: kellisag

Re: What size braid is best - 05/26/17 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: dmr183
Tried braid for main line on C-rig last week. After snapping 2 leaders on fish, I realized you have to either not set the hook very hard or back the drag waaay off! I don't think I will use braid again for c-rig, too many breaking points on that rig and braid is not forgiving, guess I don't see the advantage. I was only using 30 lb braid to 15 lb Floro leader. Back to 17 lb Floro main with 15 lb big game leader.

Why did you use a flouro leader with braid and mono leader with flouro main line? You should have stuck with mono leader on the braid, bet you wouldn't have broken off so easy.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: What size braid is best - 05/26/17 02:16 AM

40lb
Posted By: AvidOutdoors7

Re: What size braid is best - 05/26/17 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: criglizard
65lb

That said, I would throw those baits on flourocarbon unless you are fishing really heavy cover, but even then...

Tie some 15lb flouro on and maybe 17-20 for the Crig with a lighter leader. Of those 3 techniques, braid makes the most sense on the Crig with a different type of leader.

+1
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: What size braid is best - 05/26/17 03:04 AM

I agree with 65# braid. All my braid is still currently Lynch line, which you can no longer get. I still have 3 300 yards spools of the white and it is GREAT, unless the wind blows, then it sucks because it catches the wind very badly. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Ltcm09

Re: What size braid is best - 05/26/17 03:16 AM

man just go to walmart and buy the 20lb test power pro line

its all you need like $12

your not going to bust braid lol
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: What size braid is best - 05/26/17 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Ltcm09
man just go to walmart and buy the 20lb test power pro line

its all you need like $12

your not going to bust braid lol

20# braid is easy to break.

I only use 20# test on spinning equipment and light baits.
Posted By: jbassman

Re: What size braid is best - 05/26/17 12:17 PM

Posted By: Happykamper

Re: What size braid is best - 05/26/17 01:16 PM

I like 20 for spinning, 40 for most of my bait casters, 50-65 for frog and umbrella rigs.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: What size braid is best - 05/26/17 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: kellisag

Why did you use a flouro leader with braid and mono leader with flouro main line? You should have stuck with mono leader on the braid, bet you wouldn't have broken off so easy.

Good point, I would have, but I didn't have any mono in the boat. I've been fishing what I think are shell beds and they are shreading my floro, that's why I switched to braid that day on the water, just didn't have any reels rigged up with mono to use as leaders.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: What size braid is best - 05/27/17 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: kellisag

Good point, I would have, but I didn't have any mono in the boat. I've been fishing what I think are shell beds and they are shreading my floro, that's why I switched to braid that day on the water, just didn't have any reels rigged up with mono to use as leaders.

Either not swing as hard with braid & a fluoro leader or drop down one power on your rod. My guess is that you had a heavy action rod. Try going to MH for this application. The advantage is that when you get a bite in 25' of water at the end of a long cast you can still get the hook in the fish. thumb

Braid, as you mentioned has very little stretch so the leader takes all the shock. The first time I tried braid to mono for C-rigging, I broke off the first three fish that bit. It frustrated me and I told myself I would never do that again. Braid to mono or fluoro can work very well if you make a couple simple adjustments. wink
Posted By: catslayer

Re: What size braid is best - 05/27/17 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Isaiah Bock
I throw mostly swim jigs,Chatterbaits, and carolina rig. What size braid?

40 lb for all that

Only thing i move up for is punching rod. I even throw frog on 40 a lot

Please IGNORE anybody telling you to not swing hard. Fish it exactly like you normally would. Either he is using too small a leader or has bad knots.

Crig should be a sweeping HARD hookset, not a snap like a jig or a t-rig.

I am 80% or more braid and the rest flouro. I fish with guys who are 100% braid, even on cranks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum