Texas Fishing Forum

Boat insurance

Posted By: The Rodfather

Boat insurance - 05/25/17 03:56 AM

I know this is discussed quite a bit but what is the best insurance company to use for boat insurance? I'm currently using Geico Marine and received my policy update and the rates went up dramatically, $23 more a month than last year. I have only filed one claim for a lost tackle bag in the the last 5 years. I think it's time for a change!
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 04:22 AM

I use Geico and found their rates to be about half of what St. Farm was on a comparison of equal policies. I have been satisfied but have never made a claim.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 04:36 AM

Originally Posted By: The Rodfather
I know this is discussed quite a bit but what is the best insurance company to use for boat insurance? I'm currently using Geico Marine and received my policy update and the rates went up dramatically, $23 more a month than last year. I have only filed one claim for a lost tackle bag in the the last 5 years. I think it's time for a change!

How much was the claim for?
Posted By: Bruce Bullard

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 07:35 AM

I filed a claim with State Farm on May 8, I know boats are low on the list in this area this month, but at least a phone call would be a start. I actually had to call in last week to find out the steps I need to take to get my end of the process started.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 08:35 AM

change every year
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 11:34 AM

I went from State Farm to Allstate last week. Exact coverage, dollar for dollar, and the rate went down 20%.
Posted By: Catching Air

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 12:34 PM

I just got finished at the first of the month doing the same thing. I switched from State Farm to Allstate on vehicles but stayed with state farm on my boat and house. Allstate was gonna be $400 a year more on the boat than state farm with less coverage. I have not had a boat claim in about 10 years. Good friend just bought a new Phoenix and he had to change cause State Farm wanted 2X more than anyone else. Just gonna have to get on the phone and call.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 12:52 PM

I didn't have much choice. My sons driving record caused my wife and I to be "non-renewed" on our vehicles. They didn't cancel my houses and boat. Just the cars. So I went to Allstate and switched EVERYTHING to them. The vehicles went up slightly, the houses went down as well as the boat. They took my State Farm policies and switched covereage to them dollar for dollar. Net savings is almost $1500 a year. I had no claims on my vehicles (with respect to my son, who is aspiring to be a NASCAR driver), houses, or boat. So, to me, I felt the non-renewal was unjustified. But, it's business. I guess.

Kinda makes me wonder how much money I wasted having StateFarm for 32 years. Ha
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 01:00 PM

Just switched from World Wide Marine to Foremost and saved $296.00 with a few minor adjustments, it pays to shop around! thumb
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 01:11 PM

You gotta shop these fools every year. They're counting on you just signing up, at the new premium, without question.

You must've had a lot of valuables in that tackle bag though.

Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 01:49 PM

I use Progressive, thru USAA. I had a 12k claim last year and my rates did not change when I had to renew this year.
Posted By: cbog34

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 02:21 PM

I use World wide marine also talk to them Bob will take care of ya.
Posted By: White Oak Skeeter

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 02:47 PM

Progressive, through an independent agent who I use for all assets. Progressive only insures the boat but their rates were much lower than the rest. Paying $300 per year for 100/300/100, 5k personal, towing, uninsured, and 5k fishing equipment.
Posted By: Dillon Lee Ins & Guide Service

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 02:49 PM

I dont get involved in the insurance topics and usually wont even open them lol. Everyone talks about price over coverage for the most part. Everyone’s rate is different. Just because your buddy pays x amount of dollars does not mean you will get a similar rate there are lots of specific rate factors that all company’s use like credit/consumer reports, loss history, speed, what brand of boat etc etc. I do like to help anglers with boat insurance though so i am going to leave a few key factors here for you to ask about when shopping insurance that could mean the difference in major claim issues then I won’t post on here again. All policies are different remember that too.

does your company cover your power poles, electronics, trolling motor as part of the boat or does it cover it under personal effects?

Do you have replacement cost, actual cash value or agreed value on your boat?

Do you have replacement cost on your tackle and personal property or actual cash value?

How much is your trailer insured for?

What is my liability limit?

Are you getting a triple discount on home and auto and boat?

Do you have permissive use coverage if someone else borrows the boat even immediate family?

I could go on but I am sure you see where I am coming from. Price is important for sure i agree 100%. I just urge people to think more along these linse when shopping any of their insurance . Have a grerat Memorial Day weekend and remember what it stands for. GO FISHING!!!!! If I can ever help feel free to call 903 575 0000

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I went from State Farm to Allstate last week. Exact coverage, dollar for dollar, and the rate went down 20%.

That's like going from a Diawa Steez to a Zebco 33. Allstate blows

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: redskeet100
I use Progressive, thru USAA. I had a 12k claim last year and my rates did not change when I had to renew this year.

USAA is the best out there, and I have never seen better Customer Service. I don't have them but work a lot of insurance claims, I have even had their adjusters thank me for taking care of their customers.

I can't say enough good things about them.
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 02:59 PM

Insurance depends on how many policies you have and how long you have them. I have had Allstate for 35 years, have 6 policies with them so I get maximum discount on everything. I have replaced 3 lower units and one had 1 boat listed as totaled (they paid me for the loss then gave me the boat back saying they had no use for it). I have a 250.00 deductible. My rates have never really gone up enough to matter about it. Whenever I have filed a claim on the boat their service has been beyond reproach. Always received a check within a week.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 03:03 PM

There is a separate forum for this.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger

USAA is the best out there, and I have never seen better Customer Service. I don't have them but work a lot of insurance claims, I have even had their adjusters thank me for taking care of their customers.

Amen and true.

Originally Posted By: forkduc
There is a separate forum for this.

Amen and true.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: cbog34
This^^^ $50,000 boat coverage, $10,000 in personal gear & $300,000 personal injury. Also(very important) $50,000 is the insured value so in the unlikely event of a total loss that is paid value not some depreciated value. I was paying $1000 a year with State Farm and World Wide cut it in 1/2. $500/year. No claims in a couple years but have heard they pay when needed. Ask for Bob Luellen but anyone there can help you: http://worldwidemarineins.com/
Posted By: Texasdeepv

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: B. Dill
You gotta shop these fools every year. They're counting on you just signing up, at the new premium, without question.

Exactly!!!! i do the same with cell phone companies. Being loyal to a company really doesn't get you anywhere because i promise, most will never be loyal to you.
Posted By: Lip Grip

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: cbog34

He saved me (ahem) a boat load of money and I got better coverage to boot! Call Bob for a quote, won't cost a thing.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger

Ditto.
Posted By: MV

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I didn't have much choice. My sons driving record caused my wife and I to be "non-renewed" on our vehicles. They didn't cancel my houses and boat. Just the cars. So I went to Allstate and switched EVERYTHING to them. The vehicles went up slightly, the houses went down as well as the boat. They took my State Farm policies and switched covereage to them dollar for dollar. Net savings is almost $1500 a year. I had no claims on my vehicles (with respect to my son, who is aspiring to be a NASCAR driver), houses, or boat. So, to me, I felt the non-renewal was unjustified. But, it's business. I guess.

Kinda makes me wonder how much money I wasted having StateFarm for 32 years. Ha

alot
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Boat insurance - 05/25/17 11:56 PM

you're in good hands with allstate.....if you've got a good attorney....had cars,boats and home owners with them for 20 plus years...2 claims and I had to get an attorney both times to make them pay off....had lot of hail damage in my neighborhood a few years ago.....adjustor didn't show up when he was supposed to then acted like a jerk when he did come....had a roofer friend confirm I didn't have any damage but decided I'd had enough dealing with allstate and went with farm bureau....

Re: Boat insurance - 05/26/17 03:48 AM

The tackle bag had a full tray of lc cranks, Norman cranks(3 trays), all my tungsten, hooks and other terminal. To much to list but it was right at a $1000. And actually, that bag was lost two years ago.

Re: Boat insurance - 05/26/17 03:54 AM

Thanks for the input, guess I'll be shopping.
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: Boat insurance - 05/26/17 04:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Dillon Lee
I dont get involved in the insurance topics and usually wont even open them lol. Everyone talks about price over coverage for the most part. Everyone’s rate is different. Just because your buddy pays x amount of dollars does not mean you will get a similar rate there are lots of specific rate factors that all company’s use like credit/consumer reports, loss history, speed, what brand of boat etc etc. I do like to help anglers with boat insurance though so i am going to leave a few key factors here for you to ask about when shopping insurance that could mean the difference in major claim issues then I won’t post on here again. All policies are different remember that too.

does your company cover your power poles, electronics, trolling motor as part of the boat or does it cover it under personal effects?

Do you have replacement cost, actual cash value or agreed value on your boat?

Do you have replacement cost on your tackle and personal property or actual cash value?

How much is your trailer insured for?

What is my liability limit?

Are you getting a triple discount on home and auto and boat?

Do you have permissive use coverage if someone else borrows the boat even immediate family?

I could go on but I am sure you see where I am coming from. Price is important for sure i agree 100%. I just urge people to think more along these linse when shopping any of their insurance . Have a grerat Memorial Day weekend and remember what it stands for. GO FISHING!!!!! If I can ever help feel free to call 903 575 0000

This is by far the most educated answer on here. Cheap does not always equal good. You get what you pay for in life, and that includes insurance.

There are so many variables in insurance prices now from company to company (credit score/open accounts, driving record, experience, claims, amount of premiums paid vs money paid out, number of vehicles, age, having multiple policy discounts, affinity discounts, and who knows how many more) that there's no way to say one company is going to be cheaper for everyone.

If you ever need a policy looked over in the Tarrant/Hood/SomevellJohnson area feel free to give me a shout. I would love to help out as well.

-
Bruce
Texas Farm Bureau

Re: Boat insurance - 05/26/17 08:59 AM

Originally Posted By: The Rodfather
The tackle bag had a full tray of lc cranks, Norman cranks(3 trays), all my tungsten, hooks and other terminal. To much to list but it was right at a $1000. And actually, that bag was lost two years ago.

Me personally I wouldn't file a claim that small, My reasoning is the insurance rate that will probably come will eat away that check.

I have only done one claim on my boat and it was for around 7K, and dropped coverage a few years afterward but never got a rate increase.

Insurance is one of the oldest industry in the USA, they are not going to loose money.

Re: Boat insurance - 05/26/17 09:01 AM

Originally Posted By: beartrap
you're in good hands with allstate.....if you've got a good attorney....had cars,boats and home owners with them for 20 plus years...2 claims and I had to get an attorney both times to make them pay off....had lot of hail damage in my neighborhood a few years ago.....adjustor didn't show up when he was supposed to then acted like a jerk when he did come....had a roofer friend confirm I didn't have any damage but decided I'd had enough dealing with allstate and went with farm bureau....

Yep It appears as if Allstate is a PITA now of day, I see people who do roof complaining how bad they are. From my personal dealing I would never use Allstate.

I was talking to a Water Restoration company last month and I asked them whom was the worst insurance they had to deal with and Allstate took that honor
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Boat insurance - 05/26/17 02:50 PM

cheers
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Boat insurance - 05/26/17 05:55 PM

Been with Foremost for 10 years

I had 4 claims over that time span (2 of them with in 6 months of 8K or more) and have never had any increase.

All claims were simple and painless.
Posted By: irbf

Re: Boat insurance - 05/26/17 06:22 PM

Only problem with USAA as they do not write boat insurance. It is subbed out to Progressive which doesn't have the best reputation
Posted By: bassin518

Re: Boat insurance - 05/30/17 06:49 PM

[img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/p
ics/usergals/2017/05/full-23973-163410-20160831_151705.jpg[/img]

Progressive said no thank you and guess who my agent was _ _ _ ? You guessed it !
Posted By: H2O.crank

Re: Boat insurance - 05/30/17 09:45 PM

I use Travelers, I had two claims last year, one for the power head and the other for the lower unit. They covered both claims quickly and my rates went up $30 per year. I could not be happier with their service and cost.
Posted By: Joe Rome

Re: Boat insurance - 05/30/17 09:59 PM

Foremost has been great for me I had 3 claims over 3 years. Called them up told them what happened and where the boat was. They fixed everything hassle free. My rates did go up but I can only blame myself for hitting stumps. I am still with them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum