Texas Fishing Forum

2006 Yamaha HPDI 200 Question

Posted By: BigHead248

2006 Yamaha HPDI 200 Question - 05/24/17 10:41 PM

I recently changed my impeller and after pulling the lower unit and drive shaft I noticed a very small amount of oil dripping down the area where the drive shaft was. It was barely enough to drip one drop on the ground. Has anyone seen this before? I've had no issues with anything, just curious where it's coming from and if I should be concerned.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: 2006 Yamaha HPDI 200 Question - 05/25/17 01:14 AM

Need more info.. Little confusing.
- Was the lower unit off the motor when you discovered the drip?
- Did you have everything back together and discovered the drip?

If the lower unit was off; there is no way you could have wiped all the oil off the shaft and etc.. After setting, GRAVITY brought it down from somewhere. I am pretty sure it was a little build up there some where and when the air temperature heated up it ran down and dripped. Shouldn't be an issue.

If everything was back together and the boat was sitting in your shop and you noticed a drip on the floor; then the area inside the plug cavity probably was not cleaned and dried properly. Sometimes the O'ring needs replacing or even the whole plug. If you replace the whole plug there is no guarantees that they will sell you the right one. Nautical Mile never got this little problem right on my new boat; so I had to go with North TX. Marine in Gainsville to get them to fix the problem which was wrong plug.
Posted By: BigHead248

Re: 2006 Yamaha HPDI 200 Question - 05/25/17 03:52 AM

Thanks Harper for the response. To clarify, I pulled the lower unit/drive shaft and while it was out and I was working on the impeller I turned and saw a very small stream of oil coming from the slot where the driveshaft had been. The lower unit and shaft are still off (waiting on parts for another non related issue), but it appears the leaks has stopped as I've not seen anymore oil.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum