Texas Fishing Forum

Eat Largemouth?

Posted By: SwampyMarsh

Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 03:33 PM

Do people eat largemouth bass? I've never kept one before, always considered them too magestic or something. Only way I'm keeping one personally is if it's a mounter! I've always targeted crappie, white bass, catfish and walleye for my eating fish. Number one would be walleye, but not many lakes have them down here.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 03:34 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Buddy E

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 03:36 PM

yes and they are tasty...
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 03:36 PM

I love them. I like them better than crappie. Versatile fish that can be prepared several different ways. I usually keep them between 14 and 16 inches. And I keep those same size while prefishing for a tourney. It's just a fish.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 03:38 PM

We used to harvest some from Monticello in the winter time, would make fish stew with them.

Sometimes if we camped out at the lake for a few days, we will harvest some and fry some up for dinner, Fresh fish is hard to beat.

Usually I just throw them back, I am not into cleaning fish after a day of fishing regardless of the species.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 03:41 PM

Absolutely, we have a large fish fry every weekend on Fork with Black bass.
Posted By: Catfish-hunter

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 03:51 PM

Cut down length ways in two pieces,then angle cut the red meat out and cook like any other. I kept 2 off Somerville once because I opened my mouth to coworkers that I would bring fresh crappie to work and they would fry. Tail end of spawn so bass was coming up the creek to eat the fry. I kept a 3 & 4-1/2lb and upon filleting,you couldn't tell which fish the fillets came from. 4-1/2lb just had a bigger head. Haven't kept any since.
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranger1
Absolutely, we have a large fish fry every weekend on Fork with Black bass.
roflmao
Posted By: GROD

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 06:02 PM

Keeping bass sometimes can actually help a fishery... just release the bigger ones.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 06:04 PM

Heck yeah....ditch pickle tacos are delicious. I don't keep any over 3 lbs. though.
Posted By: JJHunts

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 06:07 PM

I like to make ceviche out of them if I have one that takes a hook deep and if I don't think it will make it. As mentioned above the ones from 14-16 inches are pretty good and very versatile. I keep probably less then 1% of what I catch, however sometimes fresh fried fish is hard to beat. Spots are the best eating black bass in my opinion and smallmouth are my least favorite. There are bag limits for a reason and can be good for most fisheries.. I just see no good reason to kill a larger fish, but it is a right people have.
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 06:21 PM

Will be culling all under 12" from our 8 acre lake this weekend. It's been several years since we've done this but it's time again. The good thing is we will have a community fish fry this weekend so I'm sure they will find their way into some grease.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 06:37 PM

Bass are good to eat, I will only keep a few smaller ones when I run out of crappie.
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 06:46 PM

Very good eats
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 06:52 PM

Closest thing I'll eat is shrimp. I dislike the taste of fish.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 07:28 PM

Bass are very tasty! easy to clean and also skin out so you are left with a boneless/skinless fillet! less than 16" fish is what I prefer as its enough to feed 2 people. throw em on the grill with some lemon juice and black pepper and nom nom!!
Posted By: ROT Angler

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 07:50 PM

Absolutely! Fillet and coat with Kentucky Colonel and fry til they float, enjoy with the beverage of your choice.
Posted By: bccougar

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 07:57 PM

i have a private lake that we have to take them out of. I keep anything under 15 inch that's not genetically strong. they are great fried. I prefer crappie for baking or grilling though. Bass don't seem to be as good baked.
Posted By: cob

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 08:41 PM

Bass under 14"" out of water with a temp below 55 degrees are right next to Crappie in my world.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: bush hog
Heck yeah....ditch pickle tacos are delicious. I don't keep any over 3 lbs. though.

Ditch Pickle??? Anything like a limb bream?? That's funny right there never heard it before...
Posted By: Buckshotbuddy

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 11:37 PM

I have before but i wont again. Crappie and catfish though....
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/23/17 11:56 PM

Shameful post
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/24/17 12:10 AM

Firm, clean white meat that fry's up very good. Not quite as tasty as crappie but not far behind.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/24/17 01:04 AM

Yes, we have an annual fishing tournament then a fish fry each year at a private lake. We are trying to pull the number of small fish down and asking people to take more home. Hardly able to make a dent in the numbers but have a good time with friends and family.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/24/17 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Something about fishermen who don't eat fish has always made me chuckle.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/24/17 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: SwampyMarsh
Do people eat largemouth bass? I've never kept one before, always considered them too magestic or something. Only way I'm keeping one personally is if it's a mounter! .

The bigger they are the more majestic they are, get a replica made.
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/24/17 01:29 AM

7 to 10 lbrs taste the best
Posted By: Cheesehead Wes

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/24/17 02:40 AM

Spotted bass taste great.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/24/17 02:43 AM

I only keep the ones from Toledo like everybody else does to eat. de
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/24/17 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: 21xs Elite
Originally Posted By: SwampyMarsh
Do people eat largemouth bass? I've never kept one before, always considered them too magestic or something. Only way I'm keeping one personally is if it's a mounter! .

The bigger they are the more majestic they are, get a replica made.

That's what I was thinking with that statement... hmmm

But, I have had the same conversation with a couple friends before that feel that way. To each their own, and as long as people do it legally.. It is yours to do what you want with it.

Not bad eating, but I prefer crappie, walleye or yellow perch. Other than that, give me a steak! food
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/24/17 03:58 AM

Crappie and White Bass for me!
Posted By: Fisherdad58

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/24/17 04:01 AM

I couldn't tell you how many 15-20 pound sacks I've cleaned and eaten in the past. Now days, I might clean 1 or 2 a couple times a year mixed in with some crappie or sandbass. If they're cleaned right they all taste good.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/24/17 05:40 AM

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Something about fishermen who don't eat fish has always made me chuckle.

My only taste for fish is Ahi. Sushi-grade!!!

No shrimp for me, but I do Crab/Lobster...

Chuckle away, it was a bad run of rainbow trout two days later, then the smell of microwave fish at the office that put me off it for good!
Posted By: LA Ron

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/24/17 11:55 AM

Nothing like 1 lb 1/2 fillet seared in butter and seasoned with Tony's. Dipped in Louisiana fish fry or plain.Excellent!!
Posted By: Tufhrse

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/24/17 01:05 PM

It's all in the cleaning. If you don't remove the fat edges ( just pull it off ) it can leave a strange taste. Also soak your fillets in ice water for an hour before bagging to get the blood out. Black bass is great fried or baked.
Posted By: SK1

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/25/17 02:07 AM

Marinate fillets in beer for 1hr and coat with Zaterans deep fry corn meal seasoning and release to the grease.
Posted By: z520c

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/25/17 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Tufhrse
.... Black bass is great fried or baked.

Or smoked...
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/25/17 02:45 AM

soak them in buttermilk with mustard whipped in and add some testy phil robertson seasoning and La fish fry new orleans style. can't be beat had some crappie tonite food
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/25/17 12:43 PM

Once they get over 6 pounds they start tasting real good! roflmao food bolt
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/25/17 01:54 PM

I don't know about that, have you ever heard of the largemouth virus ? bad stuff man, I'm tellin ya.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/25/17 01:58 PM

I cull them from the ponds on our farm, preferring the 12-14" fish.
They are delicious.

And it helps the big fish get bigger - those go back.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/25/17 02:15 PM

There's nothing wrong with eating bass, they are actually pretty good, just don't keep the big females. I don't keep them unless we're pond fishing, but have seriously contemplated keeping a few 2-3 pounders out of Conroe to eat.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/25/17 02:44 PM

Nothing wrong with harvesting a few from time to time. Most biologists will tell you its healthy for a fishery. I will cook up some 14-18 inchers from time to time. Like someone said earlier, its all about trimming the fillets properly. Get that nasty bloodline out and bass are as good as any freshwater fish out there. When cleaning, I throw the fillets in chilled salt water and let em soak for about an hour before I bag the fillets. The salt water really helps to extract any blood that is trapped in the meat.

and yes, +1 on letting them soak in a beer bath before dredging!! Good stuff.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/25/17 03:31 PM

I don't eat any fresh water fish anymore. I have entirely to many specks, flounder and reds in my freezer. They taste WAY better to me. From April till hunting season I'm on the bay most weekends.
Posted By: gran86

Re: Eat Largemouth? - 05/25/17 03:32 PM

Bass are very tasty...almost as good as crappie
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum