Texas Fishing Forum

Minn Kota Ultrex

Posted By: CartersFishingAdventures

Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/22/17 07:18 PM

does anybody have the new ipilot ultrex?

what does the 80lb thrust feel like, is it enough for a full size boat?

where is the best place to get one?

is this the new best thing? should everybody get it?
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/22/17 07:20 PM

What size boat do you have?

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/22/17 07:27 PM

Bass Cat Pantera 2
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/22/17 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: CartersFishingAdventures
does anybody have the new ipilot ultrex?

what does the 80lb thrust feel like, is it enough for a full size boat?

where is the best place to get one?

is this the new best thing? should everybody get it?

I can only answer the last two questions and the answer is yes.
Posted By: ColoradoAg

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/22/17 07:35 PM

I have a 112 on my Pantera and I've been happy with it. I had an 80 pound Fortrex and it did alright on most days but struggled in the wind.
Posted By: getbent956

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/22/17 07:36 PM

I have a Phoenix 618. Moves it fine and I can't believe they still make a fortrex. Ultrex is well worth the extra $$$.
Posted By: adam_p

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/22/17 08:01 PM

80 is plenty on my Bullet.
Posted By: C130

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/22/17 08:19 PM

I have a 112 on my Bass Cat Eyra. I used it for the first time yesterday and it's absolutely as good as everything I've heard from people that have them. Spotlock worked flawlessly and I used the navigate to a waypoint feature also which worked great. We ran it all day and still had plenty of battery left.

I had an 80 pound Fortrex on my Sabre and it was plenty. I know the PII is right in between the Eyra and Sabre. I'm very happy with the 112 on my Eyra. I bought my Ultrex at Jasper Outboard, not sure if he still has any or not. My Ultrex is the link model, not sure if it's worth the extra cost but it's pretty cool. I had to buy the Hummingbird 5 port Ethernet hub to connect my two Helix units and the i-Pilot link.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/22/17 08:23 PM

They are the best thing since sliced bread. If I knew a lake I'd rather have this trolling motor than a graph if I had to choose between the two.
Posted By: C130

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/22/17 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
They are the best thing since sliced bread. If I knew a lake I'd rather have this trolling motor than a graph if I had to choose between the two.

I think I might agree. My son and I fished a spot for over three hours Saturday. Hit spotlock and just sat there and fished without dealing with the trolling motor and trying to stay in position. I really like my power poles for shallow stuff but the Ultrex can't be beat in the deeper water.
Posted By: Blackcoal

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/22/17 08:48 PM

I upgraded to the Ultrex 36v 112 from a 24v 70 on a 20'foot boat. Night and day difference. IN the same wind conditions i would have to run the 70LB motor in the 70% -100% power setting i can now run the 112 in the 30% - 60% power setting.

As for the Ultrex features, way way nice. Spot lock is awesome. Catch fish hit a bottom stay on spot. Break off, hit button and retie..find a brush pile or hump....you get it. Ipilot works great too.

Long term reliability report is still TBD as i have just had it a short time. Waited 2 months for mine to come in but i was tied to one retailer due to having lots of gift cards..

grin
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/22/17 08:55 PM

80lb is plenty for me on a Phoenix 619. Love it and use the Spot lock every time I am out. It really shines when fishing offshore and you need to re-tie or put one in the live well.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/22/17 09:14 PM

A boat has always had a Drive, Neutral and Reverse. The Ultrex adds the Park.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/22/17 10:13 PM

Totally worth the money!
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/22/17 10:16 PM

Ultrex is worth it. I think the 80 will be fine unless you like to fish in the wind. It still might gold you but an 80 on high won't last very long where a 112 wouldn't be but maybe 50% and last all day without an issue.
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/22/17 10:21 PM

I think the main thing is do you have 2 or 3 batteries for the trolling motor? They may make a 36v 80lb motor but I'm not sure. This probably will be your best investment that you put on your boat.
Posted By: Starkfishes

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/22/17 10:31 PM

I have NEVER made a fishing purchase that I was happier with than my Ultrex, including my boat. I might rather have a float tube with spot-lock than a bass boat without it. It really is that good.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 12:39 AM

I have an 80 on my ZX225, and I fish in the wind, and the I have yet to have any issues with my batteries on a full days fishing trip.

I have the link model because that was the only one I could find available and I only use the link benefits when I am playing around, I never use the link stuff when I am actually fishing.

I would say that the Ultrex is the best thing to fishing since the reel.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 12:46 AM

get the 112 lb thrust trolling motor......when you need the additional thrust,you need it.....
Posted By: DJB

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 01:36 AM

Any concerns about the motor constantly running and stirring up the water? Just curious? Do they make a hand control model?

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: DJB
Any concerns about the motor constantly running and stirring up the water? Just curious? Do they make a hand control model?

It hadn't slowed me down from catching fish. If anything I helps me pick apart on deep structure especially.
Posted By: RCarter

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 01:39 AM

No....foot control only with built in transducer.

Can't speak for the 80 but my 112 is the 2nd best thing I have ever done according to the wife.

Like they say....Happy wife happy life
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 01:56 AM

I have an 80 on a smaller fiberglass boat. The spot lock is more than capable of holding a larger boat on most given days. It held mine last Thursday night in 35 MPH winds without ever going higher than 6-1/2 on the remote . That said, it does leave some to be desired when using the tm to jump spots. 10 (full speed), isn't quite as fast as I'd think it should be. Good enough for my smaller boat, but probably not enough for a full size boat.

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I have an 80 on a smaller fiberglass boat. The spot lock is more than capable of holding a larger boat on most given days. It held mine last Thursday night in 35 MPH winds without ever going higher than 6-1/2 on the remote . That said, it does leave some to be desired when using the tm to jump spots. 10 (full speed), isn't quite as fast as I'd think it should be. Good enough for my smaller boat, but probably not enough for a full size boat.

I'm happy with the speed in 10 with mine, it pulls my 22trx 3.2mph last I checked, spot lock and electric assist is the best features IMO.
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 03:25 AM

Anyone know where I can find an 80/45 without iPilot??
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 03:45 AM

Check Ebay!No Tax and Free Shipping! I purchased one on Ebay!
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 03:49 AM

I want one! Who finances them roflmao

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 11:40 AM

thank yall. im gonna order me one this week, still gotta make the decision on 24v 80 or 36v 112. idk yet. I have motorguide 72 24v right now.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 12:16 PM

The motor doesn't constantly run, it runs the bare minimum to keep you on the spot. It's far better at the job than you'd ever be. I fished a bed last night in about 3 feet of water with no issues with washout. That said, there was a light wind. If the wind were howling it would have to have used a higher thrust and there could have been an issue. Certainly I would think anything over 5 feet deep and there would not be much an issue with stirred up mud.
Posted By: DJB

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 03:17 PM

It's a shame they don't make a hand control. I've had hip and knee replacement and can't do the foot balancing act .It's hard just to find any hand control anymore.

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 03:40 PM

It's a shame they don't make a hand control. I've had hip and knee replacement and can't do the foot balancing act .It's hard just to find any hand control anymore.

You don't have to use the foot control at all. It can be ran with the remote.

If you don't want to use the foot control then you could save some change and buy the powerdrive or terrova with ipilot. You just wouldn't have the better bracket the Ultrex comes with.

Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 04:57 PM

Get you a recessed tray for the foot control pedal.Mine works perfect with my Ultrex.If you lived near me,I would let you try mine.

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 08:13 PM

well guys at lunch earlier I went and got the last one at bass pro. got me a 24v 80lb 45" shaft.

cant wait to install it and try it this weekend.

I bought the 3 year warranty, is that a good deal, does it benefit to have it ?

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 09:09 PM

well guys at lunch earlier I went and got the last one at bass pro. got me a 24v 80lb 45" shaft.

I bought the 3 year warranty, is that a good deal, does it benefit to have it
?

3 year warranty from BP? Guess it depends how much you paid and what the warranty does for you. If it allows you to take it in to BP and exchange for a new one if it messes up then it might be worth it.

Should have a 2 year warranty from Minn-Kota included.
Posted By: Igofish2

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/23/17 11:34 PM

I bought the 3 year warranty, is that a good deal, does it benefit to have it ?

No.

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/24/17 11:57 AM

yeah I read it has the manufacturer warranty for 2 years. Basspro had a warranty for 3 years on anything on the trolling motor just take it up there they will fix it or give a ya a new one they say.
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex - 05/24/17 12:09 PM

Bass pro warranty $199. I declined. Purchased it on 5/18 have not had chance to install due to knee surgery. Do you guys recommend the Quick Release?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum