Texas Fishing Forum

Alarm System for Boats

Posted By: tommyc

Alarm System for Boats - 05/21/17 01:03 PM

What are you using for an alarm system on your boat these days? I do realize 2nd amendment security as a top option but was thinking more along the lines an audible alarm on the boat and/or something that triggers an alarm on a FOB inside the house. I really don’t know what is out there these days. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Alarm System for Boats - 05/21/17 03:06 PM

Might consider a Pit Bull on a 20ft. leash attached to the trailer. But then again if there's something there they want bad enough the dog won't be a problem. I have security cameras set up around my house and they have already paid for themselves. Be surprised what shows up on them.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Alarm System for Boats - 05/21/17 03:12 PM

Just have good insurance to cover it and not worry about it. It starts loaded with everything unless I am staying at a hotel. Then I carry everything into the room.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Alarm System for Boats - 05/21/17 03:41 PM

Re: Alarm System for Boats - 05/21/17 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by crankn101

And then some dude bumps into your boat/trailer, an acorn falls out of a tree or a squirrel jumps on your boat looking for something and the alarm goes off. Like Milam if I'm staying in a motel everything not locked down goes in with me. Boat stays in the garage at home. If you have insurance on the boat AND contents you better have pictures and/or receipts for everything stolen and have a good answer to your agent how, where and why it was stolen.
Posted By: Diezel_Rocker

Re: Alarm System for Boats - 05/21/17 03:55 PM

I have that KVD model that has a siren and a paging remote. The first one worked OK but the siren went out and I got a new one still sitting in the box I never installed. It seemed like it would work OK when the boat is sitting at a hotel or something.
Posted By: Alex Finch

Re: Alarm System for Boats - 05/21/17 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by crankn101

That's what I'm using on my boat. $99.99 at TW normally, but if you have time to wait, you can get a good discount that'll bring the price down a little during one of their sales.
Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: Alarm System for Boats - 05/21/17 05:01 PM

A good insurance policy is enough for me. I am not risking my safety or killing someone over a recreational watercraft or some fishing stuff.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Alarm System for Boats - 05/21/17 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: AgSellers04
A good insurance policy is enough for me. I am not risking my safety or killing someone over a recreational watercraft or some fishing stuff.

An alarm makes you kill?

thats a strange alarm system...
Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: Alarm System for Boats - 05/21/17 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: crankn101

An alarm makes you kill?

thats a strange alarm system...

No. Missed the point a mile.

Re: Alarm System for Boats - 05/21/17 07:38 PM

I am not of that cloth. If you try to take my property, and that includes any and all of my property, you will be confronted and to what extent depends on the perpetrator. I will protect my property and I make no apologies for it. Thieves these days don't steal for food, many steal for drug money and those are the most dangerous. I don't have time or the inclination to try and decide their purpose for taking my property. I am prepared and equipped to protect. So far, so good.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Alarm System for Boats - 05/21/17 08:29 PM

I got one from the tackle Smith. Has a pager and all just like a car alarm and I got the model with the magnetic switches for all my doors. I like it.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Alarm System for Boats - 05/22/17 01:50 AM

Car alarm with magnetic switches works better than the ones that go off every time a loud truck drives by. I used car alarms before on a couple of boats
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Alarm System for Boats - 05/22/17 12:19 PM

Like AgSellers said Insurance policy is all I need.
I take an extra $10,000 policy out on just the contents in the boat.
I fished a tourney a few years back and we were packing away our rods and tackle away at the motel and there was a group of guys from Wichita Falls who just left all their stuff out at night at the hotel, I asked them aren't you concerned about your stuff getting stolen, and they just laughed and said "no, it's all insured, if it gets stolen, we just get new stuff"
My boat has been paid off for 12 years, and I had dropped my insurance when I paid it off, so I picked up insurance on the boat and the contents pretty cheap for peace of mind.
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Alarm System for Boats - 05/22/17 03:25 PM

Loc-R-Bar + padlock alarm. If the padlock senses movement it will go off. Its not overly sensitive but if someone hops in the boat it will go off.

Also, don't be a dummy. Get good insurance and make sure your gear and other items not permanently mounted to the boat are covered as well. I feel bad for anyone that has stuff stolen, but there is no excuse for not having good insurance coverage if you have any $$$ tied up in tackle/gear.
Posted By: tommyc

Re: Alarm System for Boats - 05/23/17 06:15 PM

I certainly appreciate all the ideas and comments provided.

I leave no rods or reels in the boat at home or on the road. Already have an extra 5k for contents of the boat. I could not imagine the hassle of dealing with the insurance and having to purchase new equipment. Sounds like a lot of time and work to me.

I like the idea of an alarm to alert me and potentially run the thieves off before I get out outside here at the house or on the road. Also would save on hassling with insurance and replacement if the crime was successfully completed.
Posted By: bubbaque

Re: Alarm System for Boats - 05/24/17 12:16 AM

After my Triton was stolen in Clewiston Florida, I bought the Find it Now tracking device, track anytime, humans answer the phone
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum