Texas Fishing Forum

Weatherman's not an angler...

Posted By: FlaNative

Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 11:22 AM

So the forecast for the weekend was for storms and wind, but then Saturday afternoon turned out to be cloudless skies, though still a little windy. I checked the forecast for Sunday (today) and it was 0% chance of rain and low winds. So of course I got my boat and gear ready to go only to wake up to thunder and lightning. Apparently this stuff is boiling up out of nowhere... and I'm sitting home again! (at least until the storm passes) mad
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 11:26 AM

I know there's always the possibility ofvthem being wrong but so far this year it seems they've been completely opposite of what happens more times than not. I guess that's Texas weather
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 11:27 AM

We are getting pounded with heavy rain, some hail, and high winds here in Palestine right now.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 11:38 AM

I agree. They have really dropped the ball this spring on forecasting these storm.
Posted By: Trx21

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 11:39 AM

Man I was just about to post this. It's so aggravating. Of course had a large cup of coffee while getting ready and didn't even check radar I mean there was little to no chance. I hook up to boat and see some lightening and the pull up radar to realize I could have slept another 2-3 hours. Now looks like it will be a late start with some added road grime.

Thanks Pete, ya jack wagon, I wish I made your kind of money to be wrong 85% percent of the time.

At least no one plays fishing shows anymore to watch while we wait for this to pass.

Alright, done complaining, now just clear up and let's go fish!
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 12:22 PM

Storm will not pass. Radar has it off and on all the way past Abilene
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 12:30 PM

I usually just go fishing, I don't pay much attention to the weatherman.

He is pretty good with wind and wind speed, but rain and stuff like that is hit and miss.

If I went fishing based upon the weatherman, I would of missed many a days.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 01:09 PM

Orange Spinner Bait time. Get on out there and load the boat.
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 01:18 PM

Same here. Loaded the boat this morning and then went back to sleep. Was going to wait for it all to pass but doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 01:26 PM

All you're ever going to get from them is an educated guess.
When it's Spring in Texas that's pretty dubious at times.

I rarely let the weather forecast dictate whether I go or stay.
If you're going, then go. Most times the weather changes a lot over the course of a single day.

Besides, the best fishing is often in the worst weather.
And if you let wind or rain effect your decision you won't fish much here in the Spring.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 01:38 PM

I think our weatherman over here sucks too!! Came a flood yesterday morning and then again last night!!! 30 percent chance my butt!!

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 01:57 PM

Don't mind the rain, but when I see lightning all around while loading the boat, it's time to sleep in and let it pass.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 02:06 PM

Weathermen are wrong a lot. Biggest waste of time on the local news program.
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 02:11 PM

Left the boat out uncovered yesterday. Planned on cleaning it up this morning.
Now I've got to wait for sunshine to dry it out. bang
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 02:26 PM

Saturday was definitely the better opportunity.....I had planned on hitting it EARLY (4:45 launch).
HA! After a three hour delay, I stuck 9 at Athens in semi-perfect conditions.
Today looks rough. Think I'll let this cold front slide on by.
Night fishing starts in Two weeks for me!
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 02:37 PM

I'm here to say...

Up at 4am. Drive to Monticello. Rain is out of forecast. Get here and watch it build and sky to ground lightning all around...

Now collincountytx and myself are sitting in the truck wondering how long it's gonna take for the lightning show to pass

laugh
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 02:58 PM

Here's how weathermen keep their job, " 50% chance of rain today, tomorrow and forever ". Never wrong. Don't know if any of you remember Harold Taft but he was the best ever, done more with less than all these guessers today. Can't wait for Monday morning and hear their excuses if they even mention it.

Posted By: CCTX

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 03:17 PM

Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 04:50 PM

few weeks ago saturday was doom and gloom forecast on texoma. biblical amounts of rain, tornados, canelope size hail and 100mph wind if you listened to the weatherman. we went to weigh in with a sunburn, didnt see a drop of rain realmad
Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 04:57 PM

Trying to predict weather in Texas this time of year is like trying to predict women. You are going to be wrong most of the time and the ol lady is going to be mad at you.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx

Now THAT is a fish catching opportunity!
Git 'em!
Posted By: texasdrifter

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 08:05 PM

Was a good morning and the fish were biting at ole Lake Worth, my son and I started at 7:30 and
quit at 9:45 with a total of 21 bass upto 4 lbs.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/21/17 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: texasdrifter
Was a good morning and the fish were biting at ole Lake Worth, my son and I started at 7:30 and
quit at 9:45 with a total of 21 bass upto 4 lbs.

Worth is on fire right now, I absolutely smashed them Saturday. Caught fish from the nature center all the way to the dam. It was the forecast for bluebird skies today with no rain that kept me off the lake, had I known it was going to be like this I'd have been there again today. Can't wait for the Wednesday night tournament so I can get out there again!
Posted By: etexbasser

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/22/17 02:12 PM

My last three biggest bass, one of them 9 pounds, came on days I probably shouldn't have been on the lake. The 9 came on a very, very windy day, I think I was the only one on the lake that day. If I am going on a given day, I go, the only thing that keeps me in the truck is lightning, I am a scared of lightning. I watch the weather for the wind direction so I can choose the boat launch I want to use; since I go by myself most of the time, it can very difficult to load and unload by yourself on an unprotected boat ramp.
By the way, my wife says I am idiot anyway. I always call somebody when I am at the ramp unloading and call when I get back.
Posted By: str1249

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/22/17 03:42 PM

That's why they're called "Weather-guessers".
Posted By: mrdvant

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/22/17 06:25 PM

They've been consistently wrong the last year. Best part is how much they get paid to make poor guesses.
Posted By: gatoreyes

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/23/17 02:16 AM

My beef is their inaccurate wind forecasts. Each Monday, they should have to say "My weekend wind forecast was x and the actual wind was y" (y would usually be 2x).
Posted By: redmojo

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/23/17 02:57 AM

I've learned to add the 2 numbers together to get the actual wind! 10-15=25mph, 5-10=15mph.

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/23/17 03:33 AM

We'll give them another go at it tomorrow. I'm planning on fishing in my rain gear. We'll see.
Posted By: ROT Angler

Re: Weatherman's not an angler... - 05/23/17 01:06 PM

The weatherman may not be angler but he ought to be, he's got the lying part down pat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum