Texas Fishing Forum

Elites offering guide trips?

Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

Elites offering guide trips? - 05/20/17 02:38 AM

I overheard Jamie Hartman say he was hanging around for this upcoming week to guide on Rayburn. I guess that makes sense being they have a week off, but is this common? This would be a great opportunity for someone to take a guide trip with an elite guy.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Elites offering guide trips? - 05/20/17 02:39 AM

He's been on Toledo doing trips for couple weeks now. It's honestly his only source of income if he don't cut checks

Re: Elites offering guide trips? - 05/20/17 04:28 AM

Gotta respect a guy that's hustling.
Posted By: aking

Re: Elites offering guide trips? - 05/20/17 12:50 PM

Stetson Blaylock was doing the same recently at Fork.
Posted By: Rick Collis

Re: Elites offering guide trips? - 05/20/17 01:00 PM

James Niggemeyer has been guiding for years on Fork.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Elites offering guide trips? - 05/20/17 03:34 PM

id book with him

Re: Elites offering guide trips? - 05/20/17 09:03 PM

I saw Jamie at the expo and he said he's got 3 days open next week as of now. I guess it's a pretty good gig when you have an extra week inbetween events and can pick up an extra $800-1000.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Elites offering guide trips? - 05/21/17 12:38 PM

best definition I've heard of a guide is "a guy who is unemployed and has got a boat".....
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Elites offering guide trips? - 05/21/17 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: beartrap
best definition I've heard of a guide is "a guy who is unemployed and has got a boat".....

Any guy who guides full time works his butt off. I don't see how they do it honestly. They are hardly unemployed
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Elites offering guide trips? - 05/21/17 03:23 PM

back in the early days they used to say a pro was anybody with a week off and a boat....
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Elites offering guide trips? - 05/21/17 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

Any guy who guides full time works his butt off. I don't see how they do it honestly. They are hardly unemployed

Seems like you gotta work at least 50 hrs/wk just to break even. It's almost not a good decision. LOL

Re: Elites offering guide trips? - 05/21/17 08:41 PM

I know some guides who get 600-700 a trip +tips for crappie. Much easier than trying to keep people happy with bass. Do that for 6-7 months and it's a pretty good living.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Elites offering guide trips? - 05/21/17 11:03 PM

600-700 + tips for crappie good lord you would have to be plum crazy to pay that.

Re: Elites offering guide trips? - 05/21/17 11:11 PM

Crappie trips can be 7-10 people you do realize. It's not a bass boat with 1 or 2 guys. More people do crappie trips, it's cheaper per person, kids stay catching. It's big with families
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Elites offering guide trips? - 05/21/17 11:36 PM

Not sure about that, most of us would love to fish every day. But no way in heck I could ever be a guide!
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Elites offering guide trips? - 05/21/17 11:44 PM

They are crazy if they don't,...I'm surprised they don't do pro-ams like golf,..
fish
Posted By: Igofish2

Re: Elites offering guide trips? - 05/22/17 12:06 AM

I don't see a problem but he'll need some kind of commercial fishing guide license.I can't find the correct license required. Back in the 70's I had to go to Rush Tx, and get a permit to legally guide while living on Toledo Bend.
Back then as now, there are probably a lot of unlicensed guides.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Elites offering guide trips? - 05/22/17 12:11 AM

165 dollars to get the permit to guide
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum