Texas Fishing Forum

Best Top Water Frog

Posted By: Ibock

Best Top Water Frog - 05/19/17 07:42 PM

Whats your favorite Top water frog and why?
Posted By: Rockie Martin

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/19/17 08:14 PM

Spro Jr. Leopard..... Durable and catches alot for me.....
Posted By: ROT Angler

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/19/17 08:46 PM

Scum Frog Popper, I've tried others at 4x the price with realistic taxidermy quality eyes etc. but I have caught a lot more fish on the Scum Frog Popper. When you are in the right area they will hit it nearly as soon as it hits the water.
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/19/17 08:49 PM

Spro popping frog. Been the best for me so I have the most confidence in it which means I throw it more. Learn how to replace legs and hooks and get plenty of life from it. Coach
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/19/17 08:51 PM

I like the Iobe.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/20/17 01:58 AM

Black Scum Frog, Pad Crasher - several colors, Spro Popping Frog in green pumpkin.

...because these work for me.
Posted By: Kyhokie

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/20/17 01:00 PM

I'm a fan of spro. Durable and decent hooks.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/20/17 01:28 PM

Spro or Booyah for me. They both create a similar presentation and I've already boated a lot of nice fish with them this year.

I have some of the River 2 Sea popping frogs that do well too, but they have their place.

I finally broke down and bought a SK Popping Perch in white/silver, but just tied it on last night so I can't comment on it yet.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/20/17 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: LinkLowrance
Spro or Booyah for me. They both create a similar presentation and I've already boated a lot of nice fish with them this year.

I have some of the River 2 Sea popping frogs that do well too, but they have their place.

I finally broke down and bought a SK Popping Perch in white/silver, but just tied it on last night so I can't comment on it yet.

Let us know if the Popping Perch does anything better than the frog. I have watched several videos on the popping perch and have heard all about how it was designed and all the pros input into making it but have yet to hear how it is better for catching fish than the frog. I haven't even seen anyone catch a fish on it yet after watching 4 different videos.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/21/17 12:28 AM

I've fished a lot of frogs and have never been completely satisfied with any of them. Won't turn over, fills with water and sinks, won't hookup.

At Academy I bought a few of Booyah frogs. One in the large size and two Jr's. Flip right over, don't sink, don't get water in them and I have actually caught some bass.

I am impressed.
Posted By: m.sherman

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/21/17 12:44 AM

booyah pad crasher is the ones i use
they dont fill with water and i catch alot of fish with them and good price point
black with the blue legs is the color i use the most
the worst is the strike king sexy frog that is a sinking pile of [censored] save your money and buy the booyah
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/21/17 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin

Let us know if the Popping Perch does anything better than the frog. I have watched several videos on the popping perch and have heard all about how it was designed and all the pros input into making it but have yet to hear how it is better for catching fish than the frog. I haven't even seen anyone catch a fish on it yet after watching 4 different videos.

Last year before they were on the market I fished with a buddy that had a couple. He kicked my butt out of the back of my boat with it. He got bit on it when other frogs would not work.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/21/17 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Last year before they were on the market I fished with a buddy that had a couple. He kicked my butt out of the back of my boat with it. He got bit on it when other frogs would not work.

I can't find the episode, but there is a Fishing and Hunting Texas with Clark Wendlandt episode where he fishes with Todd Castledine on Lake Naconiche that aired a few weeks back. They fished it all day. Very informative episode where Castledine talks about the PP and why they designed it
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/21/17 02:25 AM

I will go against the norm here and say that I personally prefer a Ribbit frog made by Stanley Jig Company or a similar soft plastic top water frog. Maybe it is just because I am much more confident with them, but it seems that I have a much better hookup ratio and the fish seem to like them more in my opinion. I very rarely have a fish swirl and short-strike when a soft plastic frog is tied on. When rigged properly they won't turn upside down and there is no way for them to take on water. Plus when they are reeled constantly the legs make a great kicking motion. They cost a little more, but even just the confidence boost is worth it for me. I still fish a hollow-body frog some, but rarely.
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/21/17 02:59 AM

Booyah Pad Crasher or the Koppers Live Target Hollow body. Yes the Live Targets are more expensive but I've had tremendous success with them.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/21/17 03:38 PM

I tried a lot of frogs a few years ago and liked the Booyah Pad Crashers the best. Durable, don't take on water, really catch bass. I fish the junior size (1/4 oz.) more than the full size. It catches quantity and quality. Biggest has been 8 1/2. pounds. Bullfrog and Leopard frog colors.
Posted By: Diezel_Rocker

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/21/17 04:06 PM

I have tried them all including $15 ones from Japan and honestly, my favorite is the Academy H20 frog in Bluegill color. Not very durable but cheap and seem to catch the most fish.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/21/17 07:24 PM

Popping perch is the real deal. It's caught NUMEROUS fish this year for me when I couldn't get but on a frog. That bait walks and bloops amazingly. They do tear up easy and start taking on water.
Posted By: krypto357

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/22/17 03:39 AM

Spro poppin frog, spro bronzeye. I had great luck with a Molix frog, but the legs come off too easily
Posted By: FlatBack4

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/22/17 11:46 AM

Really doesn't matter which one as long it's white on the bottom.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/22/17 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Popping perch is the real deal. It's caught NUMEROUS fish this year for me when I couldn't get but on a frog. That bait walks and bloops amazingly. They do tear up easy and start taking on water.

Yep, I was impressed. It will stay tied on.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/22/17 03:17 PM

I like Booyah and Spro, but my 'go to' in a hollow-belly is either a River2Sea Bully wa or a Spittin' Wa. Top Toads are next in line. For plastic, it's a Bull Ribbit.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/22/17 04:39 PM

I fish 4 frogs consistently. Ish's Phat frog, Spro Poppin frog, Horny toad and the new Spro Spitter.

Conditions tell me which to throw or what combination to throw. I really like the new Spro Spitter. It walks like a reg frog but gurgles like a poppin frog. I can actually work it faster because it has a lil less drag than a true poppin frog.

I only throw white or black colored frogs. Hope it helps.
Posted By: Ibock

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/22/17 05:17 PM

I ended up buying some Spro popping frogs and caught a couple in bad weather. They did not hold water and I had great hookups.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/22/17 05:31 PM

Top toad or poppin toad (if water is choppy).

Cast further, better hook up ratio, and you can cover more water.

You will get more blow ups on a spri style, but you can cover more water and increase your odds.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/22/17 05:55 PM

Spro Poppin' Frog for me.
Posted By: McBassman

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/23/17 12:37 AM

+1 on the Spro!
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/23/17 12:40 AM

Bobby Barracks perfect frog. it works.
Posted By: TravisRage

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/23/17 02:02 AM

Love the booyah pad crasher(if that's the popping one),zoom horny toad, ish phat frog

What else do I need!?

Get them in basic colors- black, white, green pumpkin and yellow and twerk it all day!
Posted By: mikemtx

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/23/17 03:13 AM

Same here with the Live Target. My PB on it 9.5
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/23/17 05:45 AM

Originally Posted By: senko9S

Shhhh dont spread that around
Posted By: TravisRage

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/23/17 09:37 PM

Just bought two poppin perch. Hate all you guys!
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/24/17 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: catslayer
Originally Posted By: senko9S

Shhhh dont spread that around

yep
Posted By: Burgerboy

Re: Best Top Water Frog - 05/25/17 11:01 PM

I like the spro popping from , with a Lake Fork trailer hook, which I think is the big key to frog fishing and getting hookups. I love froggin but am the first to admit there are easier ways to catch them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum