Texas Fishing Forum

Any advice for Lake Fork

Posted By: Country Fishing

Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/17/17 11:32 AM

Anyone have any advice for Lake Fork such as what to use for bait? Going mostly for LMB. Staying at Oak Ridge Marina for Memorial Day weekend. Plan on tent camping and fishing all weekend. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/17/17 12:41 PM

I fished there on Saturday.....perfect conditions....I caught several smaller fish (under 2 lbs) close to shoreline vegetation on a weightless double fluke rig.
Stayed in Birch Creek area all day.
Good luck!
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/17/17 02:24 PM

welcome to the TFF

Don't get spun out by the number of boats on the water, be flexible, and idle in areas outside of the boat lanes that you're unsure about. You should be able to find some fry-guarders/bluegill beds to get you started, look for a mix or transition of multiple forms of cover near a channel swing or a drop and get to work. Also wouldn't hurt to ask the guys there at Oak Ridge for some up to date intel. And my best advice: NEVER shy away from the windy side of the creeks/cuts/coves you are in. thumb
Posted By: Tritan Bass

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/17/17 02:51 PM

Just spent 4 days there. Most productive pattern was frogs (Zoom Horney Toads) around vegetation (Lily pads, flooded willows, matted floating plants). Sometimes they are waaay back in there ...sometimes they are in around 2-3 foot. Go to the back of creeks. We caught some decent fish but there are a lot of 1 and 2 pounds mixed in there. We found some on Carolina Rigs around Bird Island but not enough to put up with the smell and the squaking!

Good Luck!
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/17/17 02:57 PM

Don't leave anything in your boat overnight, the area is crawling with meth heads who will steal you blind.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/17/17 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: JD/76708
welcome to the TFF

Don't get spun out by the number of boats on the water, be flexible, and idle in areas outside of the boat lanes that you're unsure about. You should be able to find some fry-guarders/bluegill beds to get you started, look for a mix or transition of multiple forms of cover near a channel swing or a drop and get to work. Also wouldn't hurt to ask the guys there at Oak Ridge for some up to date intel. And my best advice: NEVER shy away from the windy side of the creeks/cuts/coves you are in. thumb

+1
thumb
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/17/17 03:00 PM

Back in my days at Fork I always looked forward to Memorial weekend because it was when I would start night fishing. I have had some great times staying away from the daytime crowds and the night fishing is awesome this time of year. My four rigs were always Black Hilldebrandt spinnerbait with gold Colorado blade, Berkley Red Shad 10" power worm, Larew's Hawg Craw in Black Neon and Carolina rig on the 10" worm. I got pretty spoiled through the 90's and for a long time night fished that lake from Memorial weekend into the fall most of the time.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/17/17 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
Don't leave anything in your boat overnight, the area is crawling with meth heads who will steal you blind.
Posted By: BarryH

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/17/17 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Country Fishing
Anyone have any advice for Lake Fork...?
...crawling with meth heads who will steal you blind.

Yes. My advice is: Take comments that are sensationalized for dramatic effect with a grain of salt.

It's 2017. Be smart. Don't invite theft. Don't leave anything in your boat anywhere that it's not secure.

And enjoy your time at the lake...

- From one of the MANY non-meth heads that live full time at Lake Fork with fewer theft problems here than he had in the "big city"
Posted By: heybaylor

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/18/17 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: BarryH
Originally Posted By: Country Fishing
Anyone have any advice for Lake Fork...?
...crawling with meth heads who will steal you blind.

Yes. My advice is: Take comments that are sensationalized for dramatic effect with a grain of salt.

It's 2017. Be smart. Don't invite theft. Don't leave anything in your boat anywhere that it's not secure.

And enjoy your time at the lake...

- From one of the MANY non-meth heads that live full time at Lake Fork with fewer theft problems here than he had in the "big city"

yeppers, I have lived on Fork for over twenty years, have not had a problem,

lost two cars and a motorcycle in Austin
Posted By: Country Fishing

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/18/17 03:26 PM

Thanks for all the advise.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/18/17 03:40 PM

take a wind sock! Its freaking blowing out there!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/18/17 06:35 PM

Get some onion rings @ Oak Ridge
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/18/17 07:05 PM

Go to East Fork in the evening, lots of hawgs to be caught there........
Posted By: iVegotGREYS

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/18/17 09:07 PM

Watch lake fork guys YouTube videos. Tons of fork fishing with lots of advice.
Posted By: 203 CHAMP

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/18/17 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Get some onion rings @ Oak Ridge

+1
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/18/17 11:55 PM

But don't eat the food.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/19/17 12:07 AM

Or the tacos
Posted By: Chato

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/19/17 12:18 AM

The SOS at Mommas B you gotta try it

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/19/17 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman

But don't eat the food.

Or the pie
Posted By: ETFK

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/19/17 12:23 PM

Why would he go to east fork? hmmm barf That's the place crawling with meth heads and roaches... hammer then again that may be your point. huh He's staying at one of the 3 must go to places on lake fork. Lake Fork Marina, Oak Ridge Marina and Lake Fork Trophy Lures should all be on the list of places to hit to get some solid intel on fishing, if all else fails ask the locals. Best of luck don't listen to "Bassholes" fish
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/19/17 07:12 PM

Try night fishing for sure. The best times are usually 10-4am. We're hoping that all the Legend Tournament commotion will get them fired up tonight!

Good Luck

Re: Any advice for Lake Fork - 05/19/17 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: ETFK

Why would he go to east fork? hmmm barf That's the place crawling with meth heads and roaches... hammer then again that may be your point. huh He's staying at one of the 3 must go to places on lake fork. Lake Fork Marina, Oak Ridge Marina and Lake Fork Trophy Lures should all be on the list of places to hit to get some solid intel on fishing, if all else fails ask the locals. Best of luck don't listen to "Bassholes" fish

Or Newbies
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum