Texas Fishing Forum

Shad Spawn Lake Grapevine

Posted By: Thor Outdoors

Shad Spawn Lake Grapevine - 05/14/17 03:02 AM

Shad spawn is in full effect at Lake Grapevine. Millions of shad near the dam on the rocks and coves. I was walking through about a 2 foot deep cove to get to some rocks and was actually stepping on shad there were so many. Had on 2 smallies but both came off because the hook I was using on my underspin was so dull ( would have been my first small mouth too). But as a dude who fishes a lot, I was totally geeking seeing all the shad spawning.
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: Shad Spawn Lake Grapevine - 05/14/17 11:30 AM

I was out there yesterday and saw that too, hundred+ almost trying to crawl up on the bank. Took awhile to figure out the good fish were around them but deeper. Most boats on Grapevine fishing I have seen in a long time when there wasn't a tourney going on, reminded me of Fork with a bass boat every 30 yards, maybe the word on the spawn got out. Had four boats in talking distance ask me how big when I caught a 5lber. Maybe everybody jammed onto Saturday because Mothers Day was Sunday
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Shad Spawn Lake Grapevine - 05/14/17 11:33 AM

I will be out there in the morning looking for sandies.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Shad Spawn Lake Grapevine - 05/14/17 06:45 PM

i was out there also and noticed there were a lot of boats also.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Shad Spawn Lake Grapevine - 05/14/17 09:50 PM

yep, lots of boats out there yesterday, and more kayaks than I can remember seeing. Really had to pay attention running up and down the lake. Shad were spawning all over the place, I saw them near the island and on lots of the northern points before the sun got high in the sky. Kept the topwater bite going nearly all morning.... that's fun fishing!
Posted By: Kensho TX

Re: Shad Spawn Lake Grapevine - 05/15/17 04:00 AM

I was in TC, didn't see much Shad action near dark Friday or Sunday.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Shad Spawn Lake Grapevine - 05/15/17 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Kensho TX
I was in TC, didn't see much Shad action near dark Friday or Sunday.

The shad spawn was on like neck bone in Twin, the shad were doing their thing on the floating slips in the morning not so much on the rocks. After the sun got up they were still going for a while in the shaded areas of the floating slips. Pitch a spinnerbait or swim jig in the boat slips and hang on!
Posted By: Thor Outdoors

Re: Shad Spawn Lake Grapevine - 05/15/17 02:03 PM

Yeah there was a kayak tournament there Saturday

Re: Shad Spawn Lake Grapevine - 05/15/17 05:09 PM

Fished this morning and caught maybe 15 sandbass. Saw no shad spawning and the sandbass were really scattered. Did get a couple of smaller bass and even a crappie all in less than 5 ft.
Posted By: SwampyMarsh

Re: Shad Spawn Lake Grapevine - 05/15/17 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: fishin'aholic2
Fished this morning and caught maybe 15 sandbass. Saw no shad spawning and the sandbass were really scattered. Did get a couple of smaller bass and even a crappie all in less than 5 ft.

Fishing along the dam?

Re: Shad Spawn Lake Grapevine - 05/15/17 07:36 PM

Southern most point at Murrell.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum