Texas Fishing Forum

Question about hooks

Posted By: SlowDown

Question about hooks - 05/13/17 01:55 AM

Am wondering if the EWG hook has become the hook of choice for worms and baby brush hogs. Do any of you use regular offset hooks any more. Straight shanks are also becoming popular, but I'm wondering if regular offset hooks are becoming a thing of the past? What say ye?
Posted By: Wise 1

Re: Question about hooks - 05/13/17 02:04 AM

Nothing but 4.0 Gammy offsets for me.It seem with the hook shank closer to the plastic let's it slide down through cover better. And also a better hookup ratio. I only use heavy EWG's on Senko's for the weight,when fishing them weightless.

Re: Question about hooks - 05/13/17 02:24 AM

Thanks for the reply Wise 1. Only thing that surprises me is that the 4/0 seems like a very large hook for a normal size worm or baby brush hog. I also still use Gamme Offset sometimes, but a 2/0 or 3/0.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Question about hooks - 05/13/17 01:43 PM

Pretty much 3/0 EWG Gama's for me with all "normal sized" worms & creature baits. 7" Power Worms, Chigger Craws.... Switch to a 4/0 EWG for bigger creature baits like big craws, full sized Brush Hogs...and go with a 5/0 EWG for big 10"-12" Worms. I do use a smaller wire 2/0 EWG for C-Rigged smaller baits like Bubble Fries....Good hook up ratios on all for me.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Question about hooks - 05/13/17 02:44 PM

I use the Owner J-hook in a 3/0 and 4/0 for creatures, beaver type baits, craws, and 8 inch+ worms and have these Tx. rigged.
I like the Owner rigging hook in a 1 to 3/0 for finesse worms and baby brush hogs.

I use Owner Beast hooks for swim baits.

The only place that I still like to use the offset round bend hook is on my Carolina rig. I use a 3/0-5/0 Gamakatsu.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Question about hooks - 05/13/17 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
I use the Owner J-hook in a 3/0 and 4/0 for creatures, beaver type baits, craws, and 8 inch+ worms and have these Tx. rigged.
I like the Owner rigging hook in a 1 to 3/0 for finesse worms and baby brush hogs.

I use Owner Beast hooks for swim baits.

The only place that I still like to use the offset round bend hook is on my Carolina rig. I use a 3/0-5/0 Gamakatsu.

+1

The Owner hooks have much less flex than the Gammys with similar wire diameter. Test them for yourself. Take two hooks out of the package and flex them with your fingers side by side. Less flex equals better penetration on the hook set and less chance of a big fish opening up the hook on heavy line in heavy cover.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Question about hooks - 05/13/17 04:00 PM

I only use EWG with bigger thicker baits. Still prefer offset with just about everything else. For me it's more of a comfort thing than performance.

Re: Question about hooks - 05/13/17 07:56 PM

Thanks to everyone that replied. Although I have fished steadily since the early 1960s, I still enjoy learning what other fishers think about every aspect of fishing, and following trends in our sport.
Posted By: Chasin'Bass

Re: Question about hooks - 05/13/17 09:32 PM

Check out Trapper Tackle Hooks they are the best I have ever used.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum