Texas Fishing Forum

Best Chatterbait

Posted By: Crankalot

Best Chatterbait - 05/12/17 04:25 PM

There are copious amounts of chatterbaits on the market and I don't have one. What are some brands and models I should purchase? The Z-Man brand seems to receive great reviews, but even then there are a lot of models.

I fish the Guadalupe, Frio, Llano, Medina.

Thanks
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/12/17 04:47 PM

I pretty much just stick to Z-Man or Phenix. With the Z-Man, I just buy the cheapest one then put my own skirt on it. I don't mind when I lose them either because they don't cost as much. The only bad thing about it is that the hook isn't the greatest, but it gets the job done.
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/12/17 05:22 PM

Make sure to get more than just one....they are far from weedless

Try the Finch Nasty Thumpers, they are the bomb...or get u some Z Man Elites
Posted By: Ibock

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/12/17 05:23 PM

First let me say I have thrown every chatterbait on the market and I buy the z man pros. The original will catch plenty of fish but is not near the quality and will not hold as well. Having said that I might recommend trying the original first because most people either love or hate a chatterbait. I personally love the bait. From years of throwing them I have found the don't catch as many bass as a spinner bait typically, but you catch larger fish. White and chartreuse is phenomenal and a close second would be green pumpkin with a black blade and then add either a Gary Yamoto Zako or swim senko for your trailer. Throw it like you would a spinner bait and you will catch fish. For me the slow steady retrieve where I can see it has been the most productive for me. They work best around any structure but my favorite is grass beds. It is defiantly a bait that you need to build confidence in. The reason most people don't like them is the don't know how to fish them and then they lose confidence. Read alot of articles about the bait and I think you will like it.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/12/17 05:23 PM

I still use the original Z Man and they are on sale right now at Bass Pro.
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/12/17 06:12 PM

I make my own....and they are AWESOME....
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/12/17 06:34 PM

I agree with Z Man Pro. Really good bladed jig that catches big ones.
Posted By: charles mcmahan

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/12/17 11:47 PM

Finch Nasty for me!!
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/13/17 12:54 AM

I buy the original. Its cheap. It catches. I modify it. It catches more. Its cheap.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/13/17 03:30 AM

Alex's Finch Nasty chatterbaits are great and catch plenty of fish and he is a local TFF'er so nice to support him
Posted By: Jason Burton Guide Service

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/13/17 05:06 AM

Finch Nasty all day!!!
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/13/17 09:01 AM

Finch Nasty FTW!
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/13/17 11:28 AM

Not considering cost it's the Evergreen.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/13/17 12:24 PM

Strike King Pure Poison
Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/13/17 03:37 PM

Z Man chatterbaits are hard to beat. The cheaper original ones have cheaper snaps and hooks but they catch fish. I use the Project Z the most but I think the originals and customs have more wobble to them. Finch nasty's are good but the hook shank is a little shorter than I like. Just personal preference.
Posted By: Ibock

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/13/17 04:14 PM

I agree evergreen are the best the just are pricey. What I don't know is if the evergreens catch more fish than the pros
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/13/17 06:49 PM

Finch Nasty or Phenix. Be sure to pair them with a Lake Fork Live Magic Shad.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/13/17 11:47 PM

Zman original . Best bait I have seen in my lifetime for catching fish. IMO
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/15/17 04:17 AM

Pre zman chatter baits if you can find them. Phenix if you can find them. Or make your own.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/15/17 12:07 PM

All this chatter bait talk....

So, Saturday I was on good fish and I thought, well...might as well try the new chatterbait that's been in my boat for months. Green Pumpkin zman elite. I put on a green pumpkin zoom speed craw as a trailer. Flipped it out to a shallow stump that I had already tried a SB on and a rage craw on with no bites. First flip with the CB and BAM! Fight lasted 3 seconds and broke off my line.

Wish I would have checked the line for knicks before just chunking it out. It was my first chatterbait ever, and hooked a really heavy fish on the first cast with it. Now academy is sold out of them.

I guess I'm late to the game.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/15/17 12:10 PM

The best is probably the $20 one discussed here last week.
Seems logical.

azn

Posted By: RBO

Re: Best Chatterbait - 05/15/17 04:30 PM

If the blade doesn't contact the head, it's just a swim jig with no weed guard and blade in front. Z-Man's patent is pretty strong in regards to direct head to blade connection; IE: no split ring, and blade to head contact.

Knock offs pop up, gain traction, then get the dreaded cease and desist letter.

The original sucks, the Elite is better, and the Evergreen is the best.

Pick your poison.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum