Texas Fishing Forum

Dying braid?

Posted By: Nick From Minnesota

Dying braid? - 05/11/17 02:03 PM

Anyone know how to dye moss green braid (powerPro) to a higher viz? It is getting harder and harder for me to see my line during certain parts of the day and I have 30 reels with braid on them.

I tried dipping it in JJ's magic and its a no-go. Worth a shot right?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Dying braid? - 05/11/17 02:10 PM

Do you need to dye the whole spool, or just an indicator section of line? A Sharpie works to make the line black, so don't see why it wouldn't work in a different color...

Try dip-n-dye, or just go to a craft store and buy some shirt dye (tie-dye setups).
Posted By: Rodslinger

Re: Dying braid? - 05/11/17 02:45 PM

I have one of those thick permanent markers that I cut a groove in that I run the last few feet of braid through to dye it black. It works for what I need it for and I just use it as needed.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Dying braid? - 05/11/17 05:00 PM

I use green or black big sharpie, with a cut line down the middle like stated above. Only mark about the first 6ft
Posted By: tejasbass

Re: Dying braid? - 05/11/17 05:00 PM

Go the opposite direction. Buy high vis yellow and dye the first 4 feet dark green with a Sharpie...
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Dying braid? - 05/11/17 06:11 PM

Get a bottle of Spike It scent in chartreuse (or any color you want). Thread your braid thru an old lead slip sinker, hold the tag end & drop the sinker in the bottle. Now pull thru however much braid you want to dye. You now have color & scent. You're welcome.
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Dying braid? - 05/11/17 11:51 PM

You should be able to feel the bite....your using braid.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Dying braid? - 05/12/17 12:00 AM

Try this, look for a bleach pen, I think Clorox sells them. Might turn the line white..might not.

fish
Posted By: bluebonnet2

Re: Dying braid? - 05/12/17 11:49 AM

good morning,

spiderwire, CAMO.............ebay,,,,,,,,,,,,,love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! never lost a fish or have any breakage.....

easy for me to see, bifocals and 71....just saying

good luck,
PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Dying braid? - 05/12/17 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By: tejasbass
Go the opposite direction. Buy high vis yellow and dye the first 4 feet dark green with a Sharpie...

tejasbass has it correct, I think. Spool on a high vis yellow braid, then if you fish it straight with no leader tied on, just use a marker to dye a length equal to a short leader. 4 to 8 ft should do the trick.

If you tie on a fluoro leader, put your Sharpie away. No alterations are necessary.

Brad
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Dying braid? - 05/12/17 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Rodslinger
I have one of those thick permanent markers that I cut a groove in that I run the last few feet of braid through to dye it black. It works for what I need it for and I just use it as needed.

this works for me.....been doing it for a number of years.....
Posted By: Kat-man-do

Re: Dying braid? - 05/14/17 05:55 PM

OP says he has 30 reels spooled with the braid in question. I don't think he wants to change it out. I like the ideas of the permanent markers and the trick with the slip sinker/spike it dye.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum