Texas Fishing Forum

Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite

Posted By: big mike

Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 02:58 PM

Some good deals to be had at Gander Mountain in Mesquite. Store is closing everything on sale. Also, Dick's Sporting Goods at Town East Mall is under construction and should be open by Spring of next year.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 03:06 PM

We talking 5 10 or 40%.I remember when the one by cedar Creek closed down and it was pretty good the last few days
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 03:07 PM

10-15% is all I saw on fishing items, so they are still 5-10% higher than most places laugh
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 03:08 PM

Tyler location closing also.
Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 03:09 PM

They're all closing
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 03:14 PM

I've been in there twice. Wasn't worth my time. Not surprised they're closing. And Doug is right on about the prices.
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 03:34 PM

I went into the Texarkana Gander yesterday. Big Store Closing signs. Everything must go.

They had a whopping 25% off of the fishing stuff. They had 10% off of the Yamamoto Senkos. Rods/Reels 25% off. Some of the marine stuff was 30% off. I browsed for awhile and walked out with nothing.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 04:06 PM

Stores staying open in Texas (so far):
Amarillo, College Station, Fort Worth, Spring, Tyler..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bus...aved/101453086/
Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: 6BOOMER
Stores staying open in Texas (so far):
Amarillo, College Station, Fort Worth, Spring, Tyler..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bus...aved/101453086/

I hope this isn't true because I live in Spring roflmao. I'm hoping Gander Mountain leaves and opens up a spot for BP or Cabelas.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 06:25 PM

Tyler store has big sign...."going out of business"....
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 06:29 PM

Was in college station Saturday and they had signs posted going out of business . Only say 10-20% off though. Coach
Posted By: TDR2

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 06:41 PM

Some stores will stay open. Inventory is owned by liquidators.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
10-15% is all I saw on fishing items, so they are still 5-10% higher than most places laugh

I was about to say the same thing. Everything at 20% is still more than some places I buy.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 07:06 PM

I have heard from good sources that they are all closing. Terrible business plan.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 07:08 PM

No surprise that they're going out of business. Their assortment was terrible and anything decent that they actually carried was overpriced. I went in there once, walked around, laughed, and left with nothing.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: west tex angler
I have heard from good sources that they are all closing. Terrible business plan.

Their website is a pretty good source... wink Camping World might convert a few locations.

Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 07:52 PM

I have also been in the mesquite location twice and never bought anything.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 09:09 PM

I went in to look a pistols but guns and ammo are not included in liquidation discount yet. This was at the Arlington location.
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 09:11 PM

I don't want to beat on Gander too much, but I will relay a few experiences with the Texarkana store.

When it first opened up, I would go in and buy some stuff. It was the best outdoor store in Texarkana, but still overpriced. I was willing to pay to have the convenience of walking in and grabbing what I wanted.

I went once and they had an end cap with some soft plastics at 30% off. I grabbed several packages and went to check out. 1/2 rang up with the discount and 1/2 normal price. I pointed this out and after waiting around for ever I found out not all of the packages were discounted. I told them that was pitiful and left it all on the counter.

Went another time and there was a bin in the aisle with a discounted sign. I picked out several baits and went to check out. Around 1/2 rang up with the discount and 1/2 normal price. Again, I pointed this out and got the explanation that someone must have misplaced some baits in the bin. Again, I left it all and walked out.

This happened a third time and that was it for me. At that point, I realized this was a sales strategy that was blatantly dishonest.

There are a lot of people out there that don't watch the products ring up while checking out. They just hand their credit card over and pay the total.

Not sure if this was standard practice across the Gander Mountain Stores, but I started shopping Academy when they came to town and I'm still happy with them.
Posted By: big mike

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/09/17 11:40 PM

I'm sure the Dick's Sporting Goods in Town East Mall won't have much fishing stuff.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/10/17 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: EastTexasBassin
No surprise that they're going out of business. Their assortment was terrible and anything decent that they actually carried was overpriced. I went in there once, walked around, laughed, and left with nothing.

I have the same story. I looked at some rod wraps that looked cheap and wavy so I figured they would be about $1.99 from the looks of them but they weren't marked so I asked....$9.99 You are kidding me!!! They look like junk and are almost twice the price of name brand ones.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/10/17 02:06 AM

Good deals?
Posted By: jackwabbit

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/10/17 02:34 AM

Found a mojobass rod for 90 bucks
Posted By: Beast From The East

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/10/17 02:34 AM

I remember when tru tungsten went out of business. GM put all of their tru tungsten weights on sale for 99 cents a pop. 1.5 oz, 1oz, 3/4oz all 99 cents a piece. That basket had to weigh 25lbs by the time I got to the register. roflmao
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/10/17 12:01 PM

I bought a set of their rain gear this week

30% off. So I saved $65
Posted By: jb504079

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/10/17 12:06 PM

Gander in Amarillo closing too. Big sign out front. Haven't been in yet.
Posted By: BassKarma

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/10/17 12:41 PM

Gander was sold and most of the stores will now become..........Camping World
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/10/17 05:13 PM

went to the frisco store yesterday. the tackle is only 10% off. i bought a couple of must haves but still probably paid MSRP.
Posted By: FlaNative

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/10/17 06:25 PM

I guess the Fort Worth store they're keeping open is the one in Lake Worth on Quebec Street... I was hoping that one would close and be replaced by an Academy. They stocked the entire back wall with firearms thinking that the gun-buying frenzy inspired by Obama would continue. Their fishing section was minimal, which is strange since their location is convenient to several decent fisheries. They've added some fishing tackle displays in the aisles but they look like exactly what they are, an afterthought. Too little, too late...
Posted By: progolferv1

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/11/17 12:34 AM

Frisco is closing also. Went the other day. Deals are not very good yet. No discounts on weapons or ammo
Posted By: cg203

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/11/17 12:36 AM

Yeah Fort Worth is closing too. It's a joke of a sale tho. Huge signs out front that say storewide 30% off sale, but when you get inside most things are 5-15% off. I walked out.
Posted By: pagemaster

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/11/17 12:39 AM

Same in Amarillo. Maybe when they get to 50% off might be worth a look.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/14/17 01:17 PM

I was watching MLF on Saturday and noticed that Gander Mountain is still advertising on the show. I guess that money had already been contracted but I don't know why a store that doesn't specialize is fishing tackle, would spend ad money on a fishing show.
They never found their market.
Posted By: tsspencer2887

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/14/17 02:41 PM

Went yesterday. Most of what I got was already on clearance and they took another 10-30% off the clearance price. Most everything else was about what you'd pay retail.
Posted By: SIR-FISH-LOT

Re: Gander Mountain closing - Mesquite - 05/14/17 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
Originally Posted By: EastTexasBassin

I have the same story. I looked at some rod wraps that looked cheap and wavy so I figured they would be about $1.99 from the looks of them but they weren't marked so I asked....$9.99 You are kidding me!!! They look like junk and are almost twice the price of name brand ones.

+1 SAME HERE
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum