Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing Line?????

Posted By: UsCav28

Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 01:57 AM

I'm having trouble with 15lb fluorocarbon both Berkley 100% and Seagar red label.... I used them both to wacky rig and have broke off at least 5 fish in about month.... anyone have recommendations on a better stronger line? I upgraded to 17lb but seems like less bites.
Posted By: Skeeter0524

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 02:00 AM

sunline sniper 16lb or for a few bucks less assassin 15lb both better and longer lasting than the two you have tried.
Posted By: Mordecai

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 02:25 AM

Is it the line breaking? Are you fishing heavy cover?

I use the Berkley Trilene, but normally only 8 lb. test and I've never had an issue with the line itself breaking.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 02:31 AM

12lb pline cxx for senkos. Very tough line
If the water is stained enough, just straight 20-30lb braid
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 02:47 AM

12lb pline cxx for senkos. Very tough line

+1..... I agree

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 05:10 AM

I'll flip a bush here and there but check my line frequently most times line breaks on a gradual hook set

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 05:26 AM

Really isn't this co-polymer? I haven't had good experience with that type of line.
Posted By: BASS GURU

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 06:03 AM

What knot are you using? A friend was tying a Palomar knot incorrectly (it's easy to do) and kept breaking off until he figured out the problem.
Posted By: dreamweaver96

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 06:32 AM

Originally Posted By: BASS GURU
What knot are you using? A friend was tying a Palomar knot incorrectly (it's easy to do) and kept breaking off until he figured out the problem.

With floro the knot is key. I've never broke off on red label. Make that know WET before cinching it down then give it a little test pull. Not too hard. If it's a bad knot you'll know.
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 07:17 AM

How long have you had the line on your reel? It seems to me like Red Label tends to break fairly easy if you don't change it often.
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 02:29 PM

If you're flipping brush, I would use 17-20 lb flouro. I use 15 lb but for docks and more open water fishing. When I'm in the cover, it's 17-20 for me. But I've used both those lines and never had a problem. So could be the cover causing issues or your knot.
Posted By: DaveTV

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 02:40 PM

In most applications I have had good luck with 15lb Pline using an Improved Clinch Knot. Also 17lb Segaur Invisix has been reliable on a heavier set up. Still using a Improved Clinch Knot tied carefully and wet.

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 04:00 PM

Are you sure it isn't the knot breaking?

P-Line CXX is a very strong, low stretch copolymer line. Very good line.

If you are having problems with copolymer and fluorocarbon lines the first thing I would do is make sure your knots are tied correctly and then check your rod guides and make sure they are not cracked or chipped. You should not be having that much trouble with line since you are using good brands of line.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 04:36 PM

Man I feel you. I went through this a few years back with every brand of fluorocarbon I used. I was breaking off 12-15 lb line fishing weightless wacky far too often, just like you mentioned. I will tell you exactly what a poster told me a few years back when I posted the same exact problem. Heed the advice because it has helped me 100%!!

First thing I will say is RE TIE often, but what helped me was switching rods. Simply put, you have to have some "tip" on your rod or you will snap the line from time to time, regardless of the brand. Also, don't get to excited on the hook set. Just ease into the fish. If you feel like you must jerk, then don't jerk 8-10 foot of line, just take up slack and give a quick jerk that only moves 3-4 foot of line. This has helped me tremendously.
Posted By: RickS

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 04:58 PM

Are you breaking off on the hookset? I have experienced this too many times. I changed knots and haven't had any more issues. Was using palomar, now using san diego jam for fluoro.
Posted By: tsspencer2887

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: GeoFisher
First thing I will say is RE TIE often, but what helped me was switching rods. Simply put, you have to have some "tip" on your rod or you will snap the line from time to time, regardless of the brand. Also, don't get to excited on the hook set. Just ease into the fish. If you feel like you must jerk, then don't jerk 8-10 foot of line, just take up slack and give a quick jerk that only moves 3-4 foot of line. This has helped me tremendously.

^^^This

Make sure that you have the right rod for the job.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 06:11 PM

I use McCoys Mean green for all my moving baits, Trigs and jigs. Only application I do not use it on is Crigs, but I use it as a leader. STRONG, abrasion resistant, low memory and affordable. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 06:22 PM

I'm going 100% Big Game ,once I use up all the Seagaur Fluoro I have.
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/09/17 09:23 PM

I think getting a rod with a softer tip should help, but I personally don't like the softer rods so I mainly use medium heavy/fast. I started out tying the improved clinch knot which is what I've used most of my life. It works most of the time, but I did have a few break offs. After reading up, I started tying the palomar, but again, had a few break offs. I may have been tying the palomar wrong. I don't trust my ability to tie that knot without having the lines criss cross and cut itself.

I've been tying the uni knot for awhile now and really like it. I don't have to worry about the criss cross and the knot cinches down very smoothly once you wet it. I don't feel any friction on the line when I'm pulling it tight. I'll keep fishing this knot until I notice a problem, then I'll be on the search again.
Posted By: Nick2021

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/10/17 12:19 PM

Surprised your line broke, I'd double check your knot as others have said and inspect your line for any possible "weak points." A little more info. would help such as where your line is breaking at?
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/10/17 12:25 PM

Ditch the flouro, get you some big game.

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/10/17 12:58 PM

Wow, going back to big game from name brand fluorocarbon. I would never do that but then again I don't have all the line breakage many of you are experiencing.

If you are breaking CXX quite a bit you have equipment issues or knot issues, it isn't the line.

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/13/17 01:24 AM

Appreciate the info guys.... I mainly use 7 MH rods and the line is breaking right at the knot.... I ordered the CXX p-line.. gonna give it a shot... but I love my fluorocarbon... guess I'll just have to go heavier if need be

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/13/17 02:51 PM

What knot are you using? It sounds more like you have knot issues and not the line. Try a double pitzen knot and see how it holds up. With every knot make sure it is wet before you tighten it up.

Netknots.com is a good place to learn how to tie tons of knots.

What size CXX did you order. CXX does have more memory than many other lines but it is VERY strong and LOW stretch. Many times if you were using 15# in other lines you can go down to 12# with CXX

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/13/17 04:39 PM

I tie a Palomar knot on everything and wet it before cinching every time and I did order 12# CXX.... I hope it's as good as everyone says it is
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/13/17 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin

There is no way you fish with all big game bud. Not buyin it
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/14/17 02:25 AM

I never have problems with Palomar knots, have nearly broken wrist and ribs setting hook into log or stumps using Invisx fish
Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/14/17 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin

There is no way you fish with all big game bud. Not buyin it

Line of choice for punching grass on PK.
Posted By: TX Rigged Senko

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/16/17 03:11 AM

No problem with those lines, but I've switched to the uni knot now
Posted By: H B

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/16/17 05:38 AM

^^^. It's probably the palomar knot breaking, try a uni knot and maybe loosen the drag a little. Good Luck
Posted By: BASS GURU

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/16/17 05:59 AM

Video on why your palomar knot might be breaking.

https://youtu.be/L4lGUK_12Uo

Re: Fishing Line????? - 05/16/17 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: UsCav28
I tie a Palomar knot on everything and wet it before cinching every time and I did order 12# CXX.... I hope it's as good as everyone says it is

You must tie the Palomar knot correctly. If the double line through the eyelet of the hook or bait you are tying on forms an X it will break and it does so easily with fluorocarbon, not so much with a copolymer line. The double line through the eyelet must be side by side to have a strong knot.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum