Texas Fishing Forum

$20 CHATTERBAITS?????

Posted By: JCBfromTHF

$20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 12:12 AM

Was at BPS yesterday and they had a display of Z-Man Jackhammer Chatterbaits for $19.99 each.

Is there something really special about these or has Z-Man simply lost their minds?
Posted By: mudd

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 12:14 AM

They cheaper online but they crazy still
Posted By: BoomBoom

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 12:30 AM

You can get them for $15.00 online. They are expensive, but by far its my favorite chatterbait and I've tried a bunch. I can't even find the green pumpkin color. Its on back-order everywhere. I was fortunate to ride with Brett Hite during the official practice round for the Classic and got quite a bit of insight on the design. Real easy to skip under docks and I like the hunting action. I like pairing it with a Yamamoto Zako or just a split tail trailer. Those combos produce that hunting action the chatterbait is known for.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 12:31 AM

at $16 TW can't keep them in stock.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 12:45 AM

Build your own
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 01:31 AM

Tackle Addict has some of the hard to find colors.
Posted By: Slade

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 01:39 AM

Good thing that Hite guy doesn't eat dog poop or you boys would have some bad breath
Posted By: goodman1389

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Slade
Good thing that Hite guy doesn't eat dog poop or you boys would have some bad breath

roflmao
Posted By: David Medler

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 02:35 AM

That's funny!
Posted By: crankn101

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 04:29 AM

Truth bomb!
Posted By: Beast From The East

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 04:32 AM

I bought one to try and they're the real deal!
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 04:34 AM

Thats crazy for a non-tungsten jig...
Posted By: dreamweaver96

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 06:27 AM

Can someone school me on the difference between these and the regular ones I buy for 4 or 5 bucks??
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 10:46 AM

Zman and Hite need more money and yes, people will pay for it. One born every second.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 11:23 AM

Capitalism at its best. The real kicker is they probably renegotiated the contract with their suppliers and these new jigs actually cost them less to produce. If the guy above is able to make a dime at $3.89 they must be making margins north of 80%. I wish I would have thought of it!

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 11:41 AM

Just wait until he comes out with his chatterbait rod... he will never have to win another tournament

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 12:20 PM

Just wait until he comes out with his chatterbait rod... he will never have to win another tournament

He already has.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Evergreen_Brett_Hite_Combat_Stick_Casting_Rods/descpage-COMX.html

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 12:23 PM

There's a reason TW can't keep this bait in stock, they flat out catch fish. People buy yellow magics and ricos when they could buy a pop-r.

Go dig some change out of your couch and try one. wink
Posted By: buda13

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 01:29 PM

Guys, other companies have been making pretty much the same design for a year now... it was stumbled onto tinkering with how to build a vibrating jig that didn't infringe on the ZMan patent for the original chatterbait. I've been fishing one nearly just like this $20 one since Feb of '16 and the cost is 1/3rd of what Zman is ripping people off for right now. It skips under docks like a ball head jig, has an insane hunting action, and is made of top quality components... do some looking around and you can find many options out there as good or better than anything ZMan put on the shelf.
Posted By: Bullet20XrD

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Build your own

Bingo.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 02:30 PM

I refuse to fish chatter baits until they reach $40+
Posted By: Ibock

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 02:53 PM

I was a sucker and bought one for 20 bucks and i have to say it is a great lure and has produced several nice fish in only 2 outings.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 03:53 PM

All I ever catch with a chatterbait are stumps. I don't know why I seem to have such bad luck with them. I know they work, they just don't work for me.
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 04:53 PM

Which chatterbait are you using Buda?
Posted By: crankn101

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 07:26 PM

Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 07:40 PM

ask yourself will a $20 bait help me catch more and bigger fish. I am betting it won't.
but to each his own.
Posted By: JCHANDLER

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: crankn101
Exactly! If it were $2.99, people (me included) would never even pick it up, but it draws you to it because it's $19.99! Won't we ever learn?

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/09/17 11:29 PM

So the general consensus is they crazy. grin
Posted By: jcwebb70

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/10/17 12:35 AM

The more I spend the less I catch, but I have gotten my price/# under $1K:)

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/10/17 01:20 AM

You guys are right, they're too high.

Don't buy any. thumb
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/10/17 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Beast From The East
There's a reason TW can't keep this bait in stock, they flat out catch fish. People buy yellow magics and ricos when they could buy a pop-r.

True but I can't build a yellow magic. I can build that chatterbait for less than half retail. It's component driven. The yellow magic isn't. And as far as a chatterbait rod, find you a quality blended blank and have it built to your liking. Throw it with 40lb braid

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/10/17 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Beast From The East

True but I can't build a yellow magic. I can build that chatterbait for less than half retail. It's component driven. The yellow magic isn't. And as far as a chatterbait rod, find you a quality blended blank and have it built to your liking. Throw it with 40lb braid

True and not to mention the chances of getting a yellow magic hung up somewhere and not being able to get it back are pretty rare compared to a chatterbait. A chatterbait may be the most likely of all baits to get hung and have to break off
Posted By: MudMan

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/10/17 02:28 AM

For $20, I would sell some of mine. For $10, I would tell you where to get some for less than $10.

Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/10/17 02:59 AM

My theory: Evergreen is making them. Zman is packaging them and slapping an Evergreen sticker on it. Two companies are making $ off one product thus a more than normal price tag.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/10/17 04:53 AM

Looks like its really inspired by the phenix which he used to be sponsored by. Way too much $$
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/10/17 02:14 PM

For those saying the bait is too expensive for it's effectiveness, obviously do not understand what makes a chatter bait effective. There is a reason z-man patented their design, and now every company produces less effective chatters. Keep in mind B-Hite is from Arizona, and in order to make a chatter bait work in water that's 20' visibility, it has to be perfect. He's been using this bait, and others that are not sold on the open market for many years, and has out caught competitors by quantity and quality. Look at recent videos of pros who talk about using a chatter bait, they all mention they use the jack hammer, with the exception of anybody sponsored by Strike King. There is a reason they're all using the jack hammer, it's flat out better.

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/10/17 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: rxkid2001
Looks like its really inspired by the phenix which he used to be sponsored by. Way too much $$

Yes the old Phenix baits were designed like the now jack hammer, and so were the D&M piranhas. No longer though, Zman owns the patent.
Posted By: railey

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/10/17 02:35 PM

Well where for 10 bucks...spill it..lol
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/10/17 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
Capitalism at its best. The real kicker is they probably renegotiated the contract with their suppliers and these new jigs actually cost them less to produce. If the guy above is able to make a dime at $3.89 they must be making margins north of 80%. I wish I would have thought of it!
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
They must have talked to the people from YETI!!!
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/10/17 04:11 PM

Build your own

this....I get the Strike King Swinging Swim jig.....take an awl/hammer.....open the hook eye enough to attach a bladed jig blade...then hammer the eye closed......best bladed jig I've ever used....

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/10/17 05:37 PM

The old Phenix CB's where the best I've ever used and I use CB's a lot. My PB off of a CB is 8.5lbs.
I don't believe for a second that Brett Hite is mass producing the exact baits that he is winning tournaments with. I've watched many of his lectures on CB's, he provides a lot of great insight but he has his secret weapons that won't be mass produced and I would also doubt that he uses the same ones people are buying for $20. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my 2 cents. And to me $20 is too much for a CB because I have lost a bunch of them fishing around brush, debris, timber, etc. maybe the guys on the west coast fish so
Much rocks or clear water that they don't lose them like I do.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/10/17 07:44 PM

RE: Quotes by PT Barnum.
Posted By: BoomBoom

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/10/17 10:32 PM

The old Phenix CB's where the best I've ever used and I use CB's a lot. My PB off of a CB is 8.5lbs.
I don't believe for a second that Brett Hite is mass producing the exact baits that he is winning tournaments with. I've watched many of his lectures on CB's, he provides a lot of great insight but he has his secret weapons that won't be mass produced and I would also doubt that he uses the same ones people are buying for $20. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my 2 cents. And to me $20 is too much for a CB because I have lost a bunch of them fishing around brush, debris, timber, etc. maybe the guys on the west coast fish so

Actually, at the Classic he was using the exact ones you and I can buy. There's various things you can do, i.e. different trailers and different retrieves to impart different actions. So, I doubt he's concerned about anyone having 'the exact' bait he utilizes.
Posted By: progolferv1

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 12:34 AM

Everything is getting out of control. 80k bass boats, 65k F150. It has to stop at some point.
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 12:39 AM

I'm a CB junkie so I will try a couple of these. Got a lead today on a tackle dealer that had a few and before I could place an order they were sold out and seem to be every where else too.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: progolferv1
Everything is getting out of control. 80k bass boats, 65k F150. It has to stop at some point.

Saw a yellow and white Bass Cat with a 400hp Merc that went for $92,500. Yep it's outta control alright but people are still buyin' and as long as they paying they'll keep making them. Never thought I'd see a crankbait sell for $18 either but they do and folks are buyin' them. Things must be great for everybody but me and you.

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 04:26 AM

Originally Posted By: BoomBoom

Actually, at the Classic he was using the exact ones you and I can buy. There's various things you can do, i.e. different trailers and different retrieves to impart different actions. So, I doubt he's concerned about anyone having 'the exact' bait he utilizes.

Show me the green pumpkin, with white, gold, and green pumpkin skirt, with the gold hologram blade... You won't find it for sale...

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 01:43 PM

What you're describing sounds like the color Bhite Delight.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Z_Man_Evergreen_Chatterbait_Jack_Hammer/descpage-ZEJACKX.html
Posted By: kellisag

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: DEFMP

Does that blade look gold to you?

So where are you guys buying your blades to build your own? I have seen the rounded ones @fishingskirts.com but I prefer the style like the original phenix vibrators had.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 02:12 PM

Is there a patent on the blade?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: BoomBoom

Show me the green pumpkin, with white, gold, and green pumpkin skirt, with the gold hologram blade... You won't find it for sale...

A skirt change and some blade tape is pretty easy to do. Does not mean the the lure itself is "different" than what is sold to the public.
Posted By: pwarren

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
All I ever catch with a chatterbait are stumps. I don't know why I seem to have such bad luck with them. I know they work, they just don't work for me.

Same here. I have never caught a large mouth with one. I caught a bunch of sandbass with one the other day, but that was because they were schooling.
Posted By: Alex Finch

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.
Is there a patent on the blade?

Can't patent the blade. Trademark protection on the hexagonal (coffin) shape.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 04:35 PM

I saw that thanks Alex!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 04:37 PM

you know what they say, " twenty dollars is twenty dollars"

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: kellisag
Does that blade look gold to you?

So where are you guys buying your blades to build your own? I have seen the rounded ones @fishingskirts.com but I prefer the style like the original phenix vibrators had.

I'd like to see this picture of him throwing one with a hologram gold blade. I may believe it then.

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 08:37 PM

You can make one with a better hook and any color skirt/ blade color you want for under $3.00. If you want to pay a $17.00 profit margin, then by all means... lol.
Posted By: Crankalot

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 08:42 PM

What's is the best color?

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Bullet20XrD
You can make one with a better hook and any color skirt/ blade color you want for under $3.00. If you want to pay a $17.00 profit margin, then by all means... lol.

Where do you buy your blades? Specifically I'm looking for the coffin style like Phenix used.

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 09:24 PM

a pair of tin snips will work wonders.

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Crankalot

depends on where/what/when you are fishing
Posted By: Crankalot

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Crankalot

depends on where/what/when you are fishing

Clear water
Posted By: Lil' Louie

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/11/17 10:00 PM

The outta control part ain't the prices of the boats, trucks, and baits nowadays.... Its people buying em for those prices that keeps em high and going higher.

I own 2 yellow magics. I got em for birthday presents because I'm not throwing a $16 dollar anything out in the lake with treble hooks on it that I paid for.

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/12/17 03:00 AM

Where do you buy your blades? Specifically I'm looking for the coffin style like Phenix used.

Tackle Warehouse sells them
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/12/17 04:17 PM

a pair of tin snips will work wonders.

I've tried that....didn't work, well, for me....that's why I buy my vibrating jig blades from www.proluresonline.com
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/12/17 05:26 PM

Well I for one will buy a few if I could just find some!
Posted By: Ibock

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/12/17 05:35 PM

Where can you find them for 10 bucks

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/12/17 05:47 PM

Tackle Warehouse sells them

Thanks!

Re: $20 CHATTERBAITS????? - 05/12/17 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Puma Jim
Well I for one will buy a few if I could just find some!

Just left BPS in Garland and they had a bunch of them still. Might be quite a drive from Nebraska for you but if they are really worth $20 then I know I would make the drive. grin I left with $45 worth of stuff that I am sure will catch more fish than 2 Jackhammers and best off all I got a whole box of Banana Moon Pies included in that same $45!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum