Texas Fishing Forum

A three Drum day on RR

Posted By: Bass Buster1

A three Drum day on RR - 05/01/17 03:46 PM

Man the drum are getting huge in Roberts. They will bite bass baits in the same areas the bass are, this has been happening to me the last two years now. Not sure if they are eating zebra muscles or what but they are huge and fun to catch. My son in law caught one that went 7.2lbs. on a spinner bait and the other two we caught were at least 5lbs each.

On the bass side of things Saturday we had one good one at 5 plus and then a lot of dinks. I am ready for some stable weather!
Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Re: A three Drum day on RR - 05/01/17 04:15 PM

They're fun to catch until you catch one in a tournament and think you have an 8 lber on the line. They've got some fight to 'em!
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: A three Drum day on RR - 05/01/17 05:12 PM

Funny thing about those here in Texas vs. up north. I used to catch 'em in lake erie when I would visit family in ohio, and they fought like a wet blanket up there. No fight, no run, just dead weight. Down here every time I hook one its a brawl.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: A three Drum day on RR - 05/01/17 06:13 PM

shoot i think the record here on tawak is only like 6lbs!
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: A three Drum day on RR - 05/01/17 08:29 PM

I caught one several years ago that was about 5lbs. Caught it on a jig fishing a tree line right off a point early in the spring. Thought I had an 8lb bass...
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: A three Drum day on RR - 05/01/17 10:45 PM

I hope you filleted them and ate them.

Take the meat off the bones like you would a crappie and then skin them.

Broil at 350 for 10 minutes under some lemon butter and then you have got a great meal.

To me it tastes like puppy drum (red fish). I suppose if they are big enough you could stuff them with crab meat or oysters.
Posted By: "Old School"

Re: A three Drum day on RR - 05/01/17 11:53 PM

They will dang near rip the rod out of your hands! They love Speed Craws too!!
Posted By: boatfisher

Re: A three Drum day on RR - 05/02/17 12:17 PM

Last three years I have caught many drum on a crankbait. Most 5 - 7 lbs. Caught one yesterday that went about 5 lbs. Only a couple of bass yesterday, both dinks to 1 1/2 lbs. Still it was nice to be on the water without the wind blowing 15 - 20 MPH. Fishing yesterday was slower than usual.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: A three Drum day on RR - 05/02/17 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen
I hope you filleted them and ate them.

Take the meat off the bones like you would a crappie and then skin them.

Broil at 350 for 10 minutes under some lemon butter and then you have got a great meal.

To me it tastes like puppy drum (red fish). I suppose if they are big enough you could stuff them with crab meat or oysters.

Really?? I did not know they were edible. They will sure slime up some boat carpet! I may give it a shot, we need to start taking some of them out of there!
Posted By: Ryno

Re: A three Drum day on RR - 05/02/17 06:24 PM

I grew up fishing in Minnesota and I remember one weekend we banked on catching crappie and sunnies for a fish fry, well someone forgot to tell the fish. So we went to a lake that has drum (sheephead as we called them) and absolutely clobbered them. We filleted them out and ate em.....awesome. Very very tasty
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: A three Drum day on RR - 05/02/17 08:44 PM

This one hit a Fat Free Shad on RR. I've caught a few others that were good sized and now when I get a good fish on, I sort of expect it to be a drum. It's nice when it's not!
Posted By: Texjef84

Re: A three Drum day on RR - 05/02/17 09:19 PM

We've caught several nice drum on different bass baits recently, good to know others have had this. On Palestine we caught two huge carp on bass baits, one on a senko and the other on a swim bait. The carp will let you know if your drag is set proper that's for sure.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: A three Drum day on RR - 05/03/17 01:24 AM

I caught a drum last year on Joe Pool fishing a drop shot! I didn't bring it in the boat but it was 5+ easy.. bout took the rod out of my hand. I let it go.

BD
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: A three Drum day on RR - 05/28/17 03:00 PM

Well about those zebra mussel eaters. This is the first article I have seen that confirms, from TPWD, that buffalo and drum are documented as eating zebra mussels - http://www.tdtnews.com/news/article_db167aee-435a-11e7-9a8d-63c6a424b81d.html . So for all you trash fish talkers, there is your silver lining for not wasting drum or buffalo or carp for cheap live targets. Try poodles instead.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: A three Drum day on RR - 05/28/17 04:14 PM

Caught several over the years. Good fighters.
Posted By: captain-kilroy

Re: A three Drum day on RR - 05/28/17 04:33 PM

Went to Toledo bend yesterday and caught one about 6lbs on my second cast on a rattletrap. Oh and by the way weather men lie like a dog. Never been in water that rough. 11 mph wind my butt.
Posted By: chevy2011

Re: A three Drum day on RR - 06/02/17 01:45 PM

Caught about twenty of them last year in a two day period, all were 4+.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum