Texas Fishing Forum

Rod Blanks? Custom Build!

Posted By: Bassbruiser12

Rod Blanks? Custom Build! - 04/24/17 11:24 PM

I'm wondering if any of you guys have ever done a custom build of your own. I was thinking about investing some time and money and doing myself some custom builds. Has anyone had any experience with some of the blanks out there on the market such as the MHX Mag Taper MB843 or any others. Looking for sensitivity in these blanks. I fish a lot with ducketts so obviously im used to their sensitivity in their blanks. Any help would be much appreciated.
Posted By: RKT

Re: Rod Blanks? Custom Build! - 04/25/17 12:04 AM

I have built rods on the Mag Taper blanks and on the High Modulus blanks. I have enjoyed both models and fish with them two to three times per week. The HM is lighter and I do like it better but I feel you need a little stiffer blank in the HM model. I captain high school kids. One of the kids only uses Ducketts. He picked up my HM rod I built while I re-tied his and he stated that it was more sensitive than his Ducketts. I believe that you will be happy with the MHX blanks. Especially for the price.
Posted By: brandon f.

Re: Rod Blanks? Custom Build! - 04/25/17 03:58 AM

I agree with the above. If you're looking to build a rod for sensitivity techniques (TRig, CRig, etc) I would recommend the High Mod. line of rods. I like them just a little better than the Mag Taper line. You mentioned the MB843. My very first rod build was on that blank and I like it just fine. I use it every time I get on the water.

I personally like the micro guides and like to wrap mine in a spiral wrap. Just a preference though.

My favorite seat combo is the SK2 seats and grips. Ive build a handful of rods and all of them have the SK2 seats/grips.

You can build a pretty dang good rod for $150-$200 with quality materials. That being said you can also buy some good rods in that range as well.

I really enjoy making rods but wish I could sell some just to keep building new ones.

I'll try to post some pics of some pics tomorrow. Feel free to ask any other questions, im not a professional rod builder by any standard, but I might be able to help answer some questions.
Posted By: Newly Retired

Re: Rod Blanks? Custom Build! - 04/25/17 01:23 PM

I think Mudhole is putting on a rod making class in the DFW area in September.
Posted By: 007.

Re: Rod Blanks? Custom Build! - 04/25/17 04:27 PM

I just built my fishing partner a rod on the MB843 blank. He's only used it once and he said the sensitivity was good, but he is also using braid w/ a fluoro leader. As others mentioned above, if sensitivity is key, then go with the HM model. Over the winter I built a rod on a HM-MB843 blank and I really like it. I was concerned about the the power of the rod, due to how light the blank is, but after catching many fish on it the rod has plenty of power.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Rod Blanks? Custom Build! - 04/25/17 04:29 PM

The new graphite foam filled grips add sensitivity too.
Posted By: 007.

Re: Rod Blanks? Custom Build! - 04/25/17 07:41 PM

Rod building is fun. Here is one I just finished.

Re: Rod Blanks? Custom Build! - 05/12/17 04:13 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys, I think I will definitely be using the HM blank.

Re: Rod Blanks? Custom Build! - 05/12/17 04:14 PM

Hey that looks pretty good, nice job.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum