Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Champion Reopening

Posted By: Bassin Fever

Lake Champion Reopening - 04/24/17 08:03 PM

For those who have been asking me about when Lake Champion will be open again:
There will be a Grand Reopening on April 28 at 7:00 pm.
Advertising Free BBQ, Live Music, and a Bonfire.
Come see the new park and get the season permits. This will be at Fisher Park .
My wife and I have already been fishing the lake out of our kayaks.
We've caught several in the three to four pound range. These are probably the ones that they stocked last year or the ones that escaped from the ponds of the dams on the creeks. The lake is reported to be Golden Algea free at this time.
Posted By: McKinneyMike

Re: Lake Champion Reopening - 04/24/17 08:43 PM

Is this also known as Champion Creek Reservoir just south of Colorado City?
Posted By: ksalmon

Re: Lake Champion Reopening - 04/24/17 09:02 PM

It is.
Posted By: squib

Re: Lake Champion Reopening - 04/24/17 09:45 PM

Are there any cabins there for rent? Is there enough water to run a boat? Always glad to see new West Texas options

Re: Lake Champion Reopening - 04/25/17 12:43 AM

I believe there are just camping spots. Plenty of water to run a boat though.
Posted By: Dosser

Re: Lake Champion Reopening - 04/25/17 01:12 AM

I can't wait to get out there for the first time. I've heard alot about this lake and never been but it is only 20 minutes away
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Lake Champion Reopening - 04/25/17 01:15 PM

Bonfire?
Posted By: hornet527

Re: Lake Champion Reopening - 04/25/17 04:49 PM

permit price? is it big boat accessible?
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: Lake Champion Reopening - 04/25/17 06:55 PM

Whats the water level like right now?
Posted By: McKinneyMike

Re: Lake Champion Reopening - 04/25/17 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Nathan_Flovin
Whats the water level like right now?

Champion Creek Reservoir water levels
Posted By: Dognot

Re: Lake Champion Reopening - 04/26/17 01:07 AM

I fished there a lot as a kid. banana

Re: Lake Champion Reopening - 04/26/17 02:17 AM

I can put my 21 Skeeter on it. So yes it is bass boat accessible. Water skiing and jet skis not allowed. It's just a fishing lake. Lots of structure, rocky cliffs in certain areas, many places have rocky places under water, flooded salt cedars, deep and shallow areas also. The lake has been stocked now with a Florida strain bass ( this is what I was told), they also stocked crappie, perch, and bait fish. In a few years if it keeps raining the lake will be definitely like it was in its glory days.

Re: Lake Champion Reopening - 04/26/17 02:29 AM

Don't know for sure I think permits are around $70.00 a year. I fussed about that as you can fish Thomas, Spence, and Ivie, for $10 but Champion is not in the CRMD lake chain ( Colorado River Municiple District) I think that's what CRMD means. I also think you have to buy a boat launch permit also. There's a number to call on Face Book page called Lake Champion Fisher Park.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Lake Champion Reopening - 04/26/17 02:33 AM

Don't fuss. That is a small price to pay to have a nice facility close to home. Not a lot of money being dropped on that place by the State. Wish I still lived close. Got lots of good memories of Champion and the big fish caught there.
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Lake Champion Reopening - 04/26/17 03:36 AM

That's cheap if you don't have to put up with the jet fleas.

Re: Lake Champion Reopening - 04/26/17 02:22 PM

I am very proud of the young man and his wife Ty and Amy Wood for the job they have undertaken in doing this. He told me that he wanted some trophy bass and it back like it was many years ago. The water levels should remain fairly constant as they are no longer pumping water out to cool the turbines at Lake Colorado City. I remember at one time when Champion was full I found one hole that was around 80 to 90 foot deep by the cliffs. My daughter and I used to scuba in the lake because the water was crystal clear. Hoping that the old seven wells will start flowing again, but they might never start back up as lots of farm and irrigation a few miles from the lake.
Posted By: Ty Wood

Re: Lake Champion Reopening - 05/04/17 01:28 AM

Thanks for getting all the good info out there. We have been back open right at a week now. Bassin Fever did an excellent job on the descriptions.

To add:

Day Use is $4.00 per person, over 65 and under 12 is free entry. Daily Boat Permit is $3.00.
Annual Vehicle Permit is $70.00 and covers the holder and four vehicle guest at no additional expense. Annual Boat Permit is $30.00.
Camping is $15.00 per night with water only sites until mid May when we will have water and electric hookups for $25.00
We also have nice 16X16 canvas bells tents set up with a full bed, chairs and coffee in the morning for $65.00 a night.

We will have live minnows and other bait on site in the next few weeks, as well as ice, etc.

The park is completely remodeled with a new dock, improved ramp, kid's fishing pond, and lots of other nice features.

Conditions have been choppy this week but lots of 3-5 lbs largemouths are being caught and we had a 7.5 pulled day before yesterday. Red power worms and jerk baits have been working well.

Gates automatically open at 6:00 a.m. and close at 10:00 p.m. We may try to adjust out the hours for earlier and later fishing as the summer progresses.

We're really proud of what has been accomplished in a few months. There is still a lot of work to do but the lake has come a million miles.

Also we will be looking for camp hosts this summer. If anyone is interested we'll have full hookups, utilities covered etc.. Just send me a message.

Re: Lake Champion Reopening - 05/06/17 04:00 AM

Ty it was good to meet you today. Appreciate all the work you have done to Champion. I look forward to fishing Champion on the regular moving forward. Fished this afternoon from 4 until about 730 and caught 10. Caught a four pounder on my second cast.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum