Texas Fishing Forum

Boat went over the Palestine Spillway

Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 04/20/17 02:14 AM

There was a boat went over the Lake Palestine Spillway. 1 dead 1 injured. Witness said the boat driver never turned and went over the spillway. Sad deal.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 04/20/17 02:18 AM

OMG. So sorry to hear that. Didn't think that was possible. Prayers for all involved.
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 04/20/17 02:20 AM

http://m.kltv.com/kltv/db/330566/content/Ocld9BTB
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 04/20/17 02:23 AM

Sad deal prayers for the family and hope for a quick recovery for the other.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 04/20/17 02:39 AM

Can't believe this has happened. There should be huge buoys out front. Prayers sent to all.
Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 04/20/17 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Can't believe this has happened. There should be huge buoys out front. Prayers sent to all.

There are a lot of buoys 80+ yards in front of it that say "no boats".
Posted By: whitecapping

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 04/20/17 02:49 AM

Prayers for those involved as well as their families.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 04/20/17 02:53 AM

Sad....and weird.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 04/20/17 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Sad....and weird.

Absolutely. I don't get it. I've been there a thousand times and don't really get how that could happen in daylight.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 04/20/17 03:18 AM

Sad deal, same thing happened a few years ago at Lake Nasworthy at night.
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 04/20/17 12:43 PM

Alcohol involved?
That would be my guess.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 04/20/17 01:58 PM

So awful.
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 04/20/17 03:14 PM

Obviously I don't know exactly what happened here, but one way to miss "navigational aids" like buoys is to have your eyes glued to your electronics instead of the lake.
Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 04/20/17 05:24 PM

Could have had a stoke or heart attack but either way it's a bad deal
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 04/20/17 05:47 PM

I was working at camp Longhorn on Inks when I was in college in 79. A lady was driving the boat pulling her husband on skis with no observer in the boat. She went over the spillway. He was waving trying to get her attention, and dropped off as the boat went over. All he had to do was drop and she would have naturally turned around, but you don't think logically in those situations. I taught water skiing so took the boat I had over the next day and you could see the boat crashed at the bottom of the spillway. It was a terrible feeling. That was almost 40 years ago.
Posted By: TigersWhiteSon

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 04/20/17 07:04 PM

wow thats crazy to see something like that happen with clear warnings
Posted By: tin man 55

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 05/08/17 09:04 PM

any additional news about this tragic situation?
Posted By: scottsoutdoorworld

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 05/08/17 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: tin man 55
any additional news about this tragic situation?
sadly both died
LAKE PALESTINE–The man who survived his boat going over the spillway at Lake Palestine April 19 died Sunday. His wife, Billemarie, 67, was pronounced dead at the scene. A double memorial service is set for Bille and Keith Wagnon, 69, was held Wednesday (April 26) at Rhone Memorial Chapel in Palestine. They were both local residents.
The News reporter Russell Slaton happen to have witnessed the horrific event from a distance, catching it on video, using his cell phone. Slaton said he felt helpless to do anything to prevent the tragedy from occurring. “I looked and kept thinking he would turn back, but he didn’t,” Slaton said. “Suddenly it went over and then there were several loud bangs or thuds.”
Game Warden Mike Hanson said freeing the boat to remove it was a problem because it got caught on some concrete pillars.
According to Hanson, the boat, occupied by a man and a woman, was traveling at a fast pace along the lake, traveling southward toward the dam. Hanson said the boat continued to travel and then passed the buoys which indicate the spillway’s edge, and continued straight on.
Hanson said some fisherman on the river near the spillway rushed over to try to save the boat’s occupants.
The man survived, but the woman was declared dead by Justice of the Peace Precinct 3 Phillip Grimes from Cherokee County. He was taken to a Tyler hospital and placed in Intensive Care, where he later died. Keith and Billemarie Wagnon were married for 50 years.
No foul play is suspected.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 05/08/17 10:14 PM

That is horrible on so many levels. My condolences and prayers go out to all the family and friends.
cry
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 05/08/17 10:31 PM

eeks
Posted By: H.H. Hipshot

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 05/08/17 11:40 PM

I boat on Lake Palestine regularly, and quite frankly, the spillway is not very well marked. It is actually a little scary, as all you see is open horizon. The last time I was by the dam, some of the buoys had broken loose and were lying on the rocks.

The buoys that are there are the same white color as "no wake" markers at the entrance to inlets and boathouse areas. So, if you were not familiar with the lake, you might not notice that you were in a dangerous area.

Also, the buoys at the spillway are quite a distance apart, and are not lighted. You could easily get disoriented at night and go over the spillway.

Hopefully, the lake authority will now give some attention to the proper marking of the spillway.

HHH
Posted By: Buckshotbuddy

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 05/09/17 12:42 AM

I remember as a kid fishing either kentucky lake or cumberland and we alkost went over a lonnnng unmarked spillway.nothing like being 100ft from a mega drop off and seeing what was about to happen
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 05/09/17 12:44 AM

What about the 1 on Tyler.
Posted By: DJB

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 05/09/17 01:16 AM

That's just so sad.But I can think of at least a half dozen east Texas lakes that it could happen on.It makes you wonder about local authority enforcing mi minor stuff when they do nothing about the obvious. Again this is so sad.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 05/09/17 03:24 AM

I still can't see how that happened. Crazy way to go that's for sure prayers sent
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 05/09/17 03:56 AM

Until Saturday, I couldn't see it happening either. However, I realized those buoys are not easy to spot until you are right up on them. I was making a run down the middle of the lake, headed to check out the dam. I don't know why, but I was expecting something more obvious; like Fork, Granbury, or Monticello. This was definitely different, although not completely out of the norm, I thought Squaw Creek looked iffy... A little distraction at the wrong time, major mechanical, or slowed responses due to intoxicants, and it happened. It was a tragedy, but could have been avoided.

Pay attention, and be SAFE out there!!!
Posted By: beeflover

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 05/09/17 04:26 AM

teach them birds to run buoys
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 05/09/17 12:21 PM

Terrible tragedy. Sad to hear.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 05/09/17 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Terrible tragedy. Sad to hear.

^^^^^^^^^^^This , prayers sent
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Boat went over the Palestine Spillway - 05/09/17 01:24 PM

Sad news. Prayers sent for the survivor and for the family and friends of the deceased. angel2
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum