Texas Fishing Forum

First trip to fork. Leaving from rockwall. Where to put in?

Posted By: Garett

First trip to fork. Leaving from rockwall. Where to put in? - 04/14/17 01:48 PM

Best place to put in if I'm coming from rockwall? Never been to fork before so if anyone knows a good pattern right now that would be very helpful
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: First trip to fork. Leaving from rockwall. Where to put in? - 04/14/17 01:52 PM

I would launch at the 154 ramp on the east side or Oak Ridge. It's close to restaurants, tackle, gas and more....
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: First trip to fork. Leaving from rockwall. Where to put in? - 04/14/17 02:45 PM

515 public ramp is the first one youll come too.
Posted By: buda13

Re: First trip to fork. Leaving from rockwall. Where to put in? - 04/14/17 03:27 PM

IMHO, launch at one of the marinas and pay the $5 for piece of mind. Majority of the break ins and folks having stuff stolen tends to occur at the public ramps.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: First trip to fork. Leaving from rockwall. Where to put in? - 04/14/17 03:30 PM

Lake Fork Marina is great
Posted By: Doyle Hargraves

Re: First trip to fork. Leaving from rockwall. Where to put in? - 04/14/17 04:47 PM

Popes
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: First trip to fork. Leaving from rockwall. Where to put in? - 04/14/17 05:08 PM

Oak Ridge, great place with great food.
Posted By: Kage

Re: First trip to fork. Leaving from rockwall. Where to put in? - 04/14/17 06:16 PM

Lake Fork Marina or Pope's
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: First trip to fork. Leaving from rockwall. Where to put in? - 04/14/17 06:58 PM

Mustang resort, $3. It's on the same road that goes to Popes just keep going straight. Both are off Hwy. 17 between Mustang and Little Mustang creeks. Good Luck, before the water came up I was catching them pretty good on 10" worms in 5 to 8 ft. Of water around wood. If I was there now I would start with a frog up next to the bank. When the frog bite goes away try a fluke and that worm.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: First trip to fork. Leaving from rockwall. Where to put in? - 04/14/17 08:01 PM

Garrett - Good luck on your first time at Fork. When I saw your post I was trying my best to remember my first time I went to Fork. It wasn't long after they first opened the lake and I had a buddy Eddie Whaley who took me that first time and we launched off of an old road. I would give anything to have pictures from back then to show how you had to run boat lanes between all of the timber back in those days.
Posted By: FlaNative

Re: First trip to fork. Leaving from rockwall. Where to put in? - 04/14/17 09:14 PM

I generally use Pope's if I plan to fish the west fork and Oak Ridge if I'm fishing the east fork. If I'm fishing Caney, I go to which is closest. The public ramps are very convenient and free, which is nice after being ripped off for $20 launch fees on Eagle Mountain. As stated above, there have been a lot of break-ins at the public ramps. Going to one of the private ones doesn't guarantee your security, but at least there's a chance someone will see what's going on and report it. I wouldn't recommend leaving much of value in your vehicle wherever you launch.
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: First trip to fork. Leaving from rockwall. Where to put in? - 04/15/17 01:56 AM

I'm not sure where Rockwall is maybe someone will chime and help with directions for you. If it waz me I would put in at Quail Hollow Motel And Rv Park. It is 2/3 the way back in Little Caney (the middle fork). That arm is huge and has everything you need no matter the season (deep water, skinny water, timber, grass). The ramp is protected but if the wind is howling out of the south it would be blowing into the arm. There are plenty of places to fish out of the wind. Another option is to put in at Williams Creek. You could fish Williams Creek and Little Mustang (if there is a strong south wind). If the water is up you can cut through the island that is the point of Williams and Little Mustang and not have to go out in tge big water to get from one to the other. When you cut through Doooo Nooottt fish around the cut through he!!! he!!!
Posted By: Saltcreek

Re: First trip to fork. Leaving from rockwall. Where to put in? - 04/15/17 02:13 AM

Minnow Bucket ramp. Great people at the minnow bucket. Bait tackle gas food and lodging. Launch from minnow bucket ramp run straight west hit the 8' to 10' area of wood. Main lake points, secondary points deep wood and shallow bed areas. Did really well there a couple of weeks ago.
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: First trip to fork. Leaving from rockwall. Where to put in? - 04/15/17 02:43 AM

The public ramp by minnow bucket sucks. You will get a scratched up boat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum