Texas Fishing Forum

Yellow Magic hooks

Posted By: toddfish

Yellow Magic hooks - 04/08/17 05:00 AM

Just curious, have any of you replaced the hooks on the Yellow Magic? If so, which ones did you go with?
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/08/17 05:49 AM

Owner Stinger!Stronger hook than the original hook and it doesn't take away the Yellow Magic's action.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/08/17 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Champion 221 Elite
Owner Stinger!Stronger hook than the original hook and it doesn't take away the Yellow Magic's action.

thumb
Posted By: BigHead248

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/08/17 04:15 PM

+1
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/08/17 05:35 PM

You can get YM brand replacement hooks at most YM dealers
Posted By: JJHunts

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/08/17 09:35 PM

What size on the owners for the original size YM?
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/08/17 10:20 PM

I know the hooks are light, but I have found others to modify the action on them, so I back off my drag and play the fish down. This is NOT my standard, as I prefer to get the fish in as quickly as possible, to get them out of their living quarters. The YM hooks are so sharp and I cannot find anything as light as the hooks, so I just back up on my drag and let the fish play itself out. I have caught several over 7 and 8 lbs on the standard hooks, but MOST people DO change the hooks, because the YM are weaker than most hooks. To each his own. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/09/17 12:23 AM

The YM hooks tend to break over time I always replace them!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/09/17 12:29 AM

nope, they're fine.
Posted By: mbassn

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/09/17 02:18 AM

The YM hooks are so light that I have been afraid to change them out due to screwing up the action of the lure. Also I have never had an issue with losing fish due to the hooks failing. The bigger fish that I have caught that could potentially straighten out the hooks are usually hooked to deep to do so. Now if those same hooks came on any other bait with trebles and you better believe
Posted By: mbassn

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/09/17 02:19 AM

they would be replaced before that particular lure sees the water!
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/09/17 04:58 AM

#6 Owner Stinger
Posted By: ScottSecs

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/09/17 10:22 AM

Another option might be the new Gamakatsu Aaron Martens Nano Finesse trebles - sharp strong and lightweight -
Posted By: GROD

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/09/17 12:44 PM

I don't change a thing on them.... have landed many large bass with zero issues. Different hooks will change the action and weight of the plug. There's a reason they out catch any other popper bait, so why mess with it.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/09/17 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: GROD
I don't change a thing on them.... have landed many large bass with zero issues. Different hooks will change the action and weight of the plug. There's a reason they out catch any other popper bait, so why mess with it.

This ^^^^^

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/09/17 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: JJHunts
What size on the owners for the original size YM?

ST-35 Size #6

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/09/17 10:26 PM

I want to try these but haven't yet.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamakatsu...scpage-NFH.html
Posted By: Rob Matthews

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/09/17 10:39 PM

What size on the 1/4 and 1/2 models?
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/09/17 11:13 PM

+1

Originally Posted By: GROD
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/10/17 01:00 AM

I change the hooks before it hits the water. Had one straighten hooks on Falcon. That will never happen again. Short shank #2 and they don't change the action at all.
Posted By: toofy

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/10/17 01:26 AM

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get those dang red rubber things off the hooks when you first buy them. Frustrating and almost a reason for me not to buy them again.
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/10/17 01:38 AM

Razorblade works.

Originally Posted By: toofy
I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get those dang red rubber things off the hooks when you first buy them. Frustrating and almost a reason for me not to buy them again.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/10/17 01:40 AM

Owner hooks are balanced out and are the best hooks for replacements. They do not affect the action of your bait. ST-35's are a great starting point for a popper that requires thin wire hooks.

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/10/17 03:31 AM

You mean UPSIZING and getting a STRONGER HOOK DOES NOT CHANGE THE BAITS ACTION AT ALL????????????????? I DOUBT THAT, by a lot. I would have to see it to believe it. Just my 2 cents worth, because I have caught a BUNCH of big fish on them w/o having the hooks straightened out. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/10/17 04:06 AM

You ok Thad? Looks like your caps button got stuck......
Posted By: DevinJoe

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/10/17 07:37 AM

Thicker-heavier hooks do change the action of a yellow magic. I'm talking bout the little one. And if your gonna kill the action with bigger hooks then you shouldn't waste the money. Buy a 5 dollar pop-r and put big hooks on that
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/10/17 10:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Cass Caldwell
Razorblade works.

Originally Posted By: toofy
+1

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/10/17 11:04 AM

Originally Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.
You ok Thad? Looks like your caps button got stuck......

roflmao
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/10/17 11:04 AM

I use VMC short shanks on most my stuff. Using short shanks you can use a bigger hook.

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/10/17 07:40 PM

Sorry about shouting guys, but I just couldn't believe that it doesn't change the action of the YM. Upsizing and getting strong hook most certainly will change the action of the YM. Sorry, again. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: JoeyC

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/10/17 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

I haven't tried these on Yellow Magic but I have them on a few traps and squarebills for a couple months. They seem to be strong as I haven't had any bend. Fish seem to stay pinned and they are very sharp.

Re: Yellow Magic hooks - 04/10/17 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: JoeyC
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

I haven't tried these on Yellow Magic but I have them on a few traps and squarebills for a couple months. They seem to be strong as I haven't had any bend. Fish seem to stay pinned and they are very sharp.

Cool thanks. I don't get to go as much these days so I have to rely on the reviews from others. I used to be the Reviewer, now I am more like the "Reviewee!" thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum