Texas Fishing Forum

Braided line info......

Posted By: Fish2222

Braided line info...... - 04/03/17 04:00 PM

Assume I use 50lb Power Pro original braid on several rods.....How long should it last with weekend warrior type use?
I have some that is at least 3 yrs old.
It seems fine.
Just curious.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Braided line info...... - 04/03/17 04:05 PM

Unwind and reverse it for longer life. I usually go 2-3 months on the top, then same time on the bottom of spool before changing, if it even lasts!
Posted By: Barn

Re: Braided line info...... - 04/03/17 04:10 PM

It should be fine. Just color the faded part with a dark sharpie. If it starts to look too frayed then you can cut off several yards and you should be good to go. Also, you can pull it off to another reel and use it again. The used end will be at the bottom of the spool and the section that has never seen daylight will be at the top. This lets you double the use.

I spray all my lines with KVD line conditioner. I think it helps braid last longer too.

Posted By: prospec1

Re: Braided line info...... - 04/03/17 04:21 PM

I use Daiwa Samurai Braid and it's been on my frog rod for a year with no fade or fray.
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Braided line info...... - 04/03/17 04:25 PM

I have used 65lb PowerPro for bed fishing and frog fishing, same rod/reel, for 1-2 years with no failures. Hundreds of fish caught over that period of time. Plenty of retying my knots, but the line doesn't fail.

I don't use anything smaller than 65lb on a baitcaster.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Braided line info...... - 04/03/17 04:25 PM

I've been fishing PP 65# on my frog setup since early February...Caught tons of fish on it. Same knot. I've dragged them over cables, through branches, etc. It's a little faded, but I'll keep throwing it for awhile longer.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Braided line info...... - 04/19/17 04:11 PM

Braid lasts me a long time but I get nervous with any over a year old
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Braided line info...... - 04/19/17 04:39 PM

I'm a charter member of the "Line Junkie Club of Texas", but I do have some reels that
I know have 1-2 year old braid, thumb
Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum

Re: Braided line info...... - 04/19/17 05:15 PM

My braid is at least a year old like stated above, just use a sharpee to darken the line
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Braided line info...... - 04/19/17 08:13 PM

I've got 50# Power Pro that's been in use 6 or 7 years and other than fading is as good as the day I spooled it up.
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Braided line info...... - 04/19/17 09:27 PM

Years.
Posted By: stringwise

Re: Braided line info...... - 04/20/17 12:06 AM

I have some on my swimbait rod that is at least 5 years old, still going strong. I wouldn't worry about it at all. If it's all frayed up, that's another story but if it isn't, cast away.
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Braided line info...... - 04/20/17 01:08 AM

I have never seen braid wear out and fail, maybe it happens eventually but I think most people just think they need to change it.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Braided line info...... - 04/20/17 01:20 AM

I've never had it fail me, I just change it every now and then because I buy braid and fc in 1000 yards at a time.
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Braided line info...... - 04/20/17 12:59 PM

The info on "reversing" your line is good stuff.....works well with FC and mono, as well....gotta save those $$$
Posted By: 361V

Re: Braided line info...... - 04/20/17 01:05 PM

Years to people who are not overthinkers! :-)
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Braided line info...... - 04/20/17 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
Years to people who are not overthinkers! :-)

Yup, the right answer.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Braided line info...... - 04/20/17 03:57 PM

I have never swapped it due to age. I just break stuff off and retie and end up short on line and respool
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum