Texas Fishing Forum

Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum?

Posted By: Ryan B

Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 01:21 AM

Went to cabelas and picked up a quantum energy pt so I could have a quantum to try out. The reel looks super good and feels great. I use Abu garcia and Lews but wanted to try a quantum. What do yall think of this reel? What's yalls opinions on quantum?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 01:26 AM

You WANT my opinion of them?

The handle on a Quantum PT fits a Lews....that is what I use my Quantum for now-a-days. Parts
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 01:37 AM

If it's good enough for Z-Train & Hack well....... it's got to be good. thumb
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 01:49 AM

Let us know how you like it. I've got an old one with iridescent pink/blue metallic side plates that is the worst (most untunable) reel I ever owned. I've tried it on many different setups and different line/lure weights and different spool fulness and just can't get it to work for me.
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 01:50 AM

Bought one, tried to out. Ended up giving it away and all but a couple of my reels are Lews BB1 Pros. That about sums up my experience with them.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 02:01 AM

I suggest you stick with Abu Garcia or Lews. They are much better quality than Quantum. I've had several in the past and they just did not hold up well, and one of them was an Energy PT.
Posted By: Ryan B

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 02:05 AM

so I take it quantum is not a good reel company in some of yalls opinions lmao. im gonna use it til it breaks then il see how much I like it. I wish I could of got another revo but I didn't have enough money. the quantum was on sale for 89.95 so it was in my price range. il continue to buy abu and lews after this reel.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
If it's good enough for Z-Train & Hack well....... it's got to be good. thumb

I think Zona uses Shimano reels.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 02:10 AM

Oh ........ I take everything I said back
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 02:12 AM

They suck so bad that KVD has been using them for decades. The rest of the Quantum Pros, like Jordan Lee who just won the classic, are no slackers either. I use Gen II Smokes and love them. Gave my Gen I Smokes to my son and he loves them as well.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 02:42 AM

I used to have quite a few Quantums. I only have Smokes now, I have two of them and they are pretty good best I can tell. One thing about quantum, they have a good website you can get pretty much any part you want or they used to.
Posted By: stringwise

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 04:24 AM

Got the Quantum Tour KVD regularly $229 for $89 at Cabelas. Probably was worth $89, but wouldn't put it in the $200 reel class. It's fine, you will like yours, I like Shimano better.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 12:04 PM

I have Exo's and they are very nice but not in production anymore. They have performed great. I don't like them better than my Diawa's though, but now we are talking personal preference and the opinions will be many.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 12:13 PM

I have 2 Quantum 1310 reels that I've had since the early 90's and still work great. I can cast a fluke into the wind with them without an over run and they're just as smooth as the day I bought them. Don't know if they still make that model but these are good reels.
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 12:47 PM

I have had several with no issues over the years. If I have a "which reel" question, I would post it in the reel cleaning area. Those guys that tear them down get to see which ones have plastic vs metal parts and see lots of issues. They probably can give you a good assessment.
Posted By: LvilleLrat

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 01:02 PM

All I own are EXO since they came out. Only issue I ever had was a drag washer. Sent it to be fixed and found a screw inside the reel was cross threaded when put together at the factory. The reel was sent to Quantum. When they received it, customer support called and said they apologize for the inconvenience and sent me a new reel and 25% off coupon on my next reel. Just bought a Smoke Speed Freak spinning reel since the EXO's are discontinued and love that reel too. Customer for life!!
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 01:23 PM

I guess if someone was paying me tho use them, I would, but I have traded all of mine off. I don't care how far you try to throw them, the lure still ends up closer to the boat than any other reel. They are just slow to me. Harder to cast than all others. I think the low priced Argent is a better reel.
Maybe all of the ones I bought were lemons.
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 01:57 PM

I see reels as an investment that should last 5-10 years if maintained properly, sometimes longer. Good luck getting 10 years out of a quantum. The pros that promote them probably have to swap them out quite regularly. To me it's not Ford vs. Chevy on this one.

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 02:21 PM

Having said what I did earlier I'm now saying just give it a try since you already bought it. If it works of you great. A reel that works for one guy won't necessarily work for another. There have been many models of Quantum reels that have emerged since the model I own. I think rods and reels and combos are a pretty individual choice. I know I can't effectively use some of my buddies setups.
Posted By: cruzfishing

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 02:54 PM

I use to love Quantum, you have to hand it to them, they have a great marketing team...
but after years of using them and the constant problems with them, (quality issues), I have realized that most Chinese made reels are all the same and are average to below average in quality for weekend warrior use and in between, (I fish 1-3 times a week non-professionally). So this review is based on that. If you only fish once a month most reels would be fine for you.

I have personally owned: Mitchell, Penn, Abu Garcia, Quantum(KVD, EXO and Accurist), Shimano, Pflueger, Daiwa, Lew's, Bass Pro, KastKing, Browning, Shakespeare, and Zebco

Here is my list of reels in order of quality...GENERALLY (all makers have cheap version of reels but buy a mid grade or higher and you should be good). After using all of these, I'm most partial to Lew's Tournament series and Shimano now..I use to hate Shimano just because everyone used them and talked about them (haha) but I finally broke down and got one a couple years ago and bought one and now I can see why people talked so much, they really are great reels.

Mid-High Quality
Shimano
Lews
Daiwa
Abu Garcia

Mid Quality
Quantum
Pflueger
Ardent?(Never used it not sure)
Mitchell
Bass Pro

Low Quality:
KastKing
Browning
Shakespeare
Zebco
(most are made in China...)
Just my opinion.
Posted By: thirtysixit

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 06:06 PM

The first "set" of reels I ever bought were five gen I smokes. They have all lasted three years of consistent use so far. I'd recommend them. I also own an Icon PT. For 100$ I'd say it's a really good reel too.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 06:21 PM

Ryan, I just trashed a Quantum EX500. It made so much noise when I cast it, I couldn't stand it.
Oh, it was purchased new from BPS in 1998.

True story....They are solid reels.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 06:29 PM

They last about a year.
Posted By: BoomBoom

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/29/17 06:50 PM

Own a few Tour KVD reels that I used for cranking. No issues.
Posted By: befuddled

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/30/17 11:03 AM

I have 6 Quantum PT's (the very light silver ones with the halo look) and love them! Fish them hard and have had very little issues. Cast smooth, easy, strong drag. My reels are 5:1 up to 7:1. Have caught several bass over 8-10 lbs with them. They were about $15 new. Everyone has their favorites.
Posted By: matt varnadore

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/30/17 11:34 AM

I have had quantum exo reels since they came out. I've never had an issue with them. If you clean and lube them regularly you shouldn't have an issue. I like my okuma helios air better but they are more expensive. My exo 300 has held up great to big swimbaits.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/30/17 03:03 PM

I have hated every quantum I've ever owned, sold all of them. Never again.
Posted By: TX Rigged Senko

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/31/17 01:04 AM

Where are all the tackle snobs letting you know that Abu Garcia reels are the only reel they use and no one ever won a tournament using a quantum reel? I think when comparing reels it's important to remember cost. At $89 you have a good reel for yourself!
Posted By: KRM

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/31/17 01:37 AM

Oh Boy!!!! Here we go with the Quantum haters. I have owned every Quantum model made since the 1310. That are great reels. They were the first with the ceramic drags, the first with adjustable breaks in the outside of the reel. by the way on the elites last year they won over half of the events KVD (3) Hackeny (1) Aoy (Swindle) and now the bassmaster classic(Lee). Any of the major company's would pay any of those guys especially KVD but yet he fished what works for him. The energy reel you just purchased is a great reel. Tiurn on 3 of the the internal brakes and set the external accordingly(lure weight, wind etc). You won't be disappointed. Enjoy your new reel and don't worry about the negative commentary.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/31/17 03:42 AM

Never bought a Quantum but dragged one up from Davy Jones's Locker in the mangroves of Tampa Bay years ago. Threw the rod away but kept the Quantum Catalyst 30 spinning reel. Couldn't believe how well it performed after just a good cleaning after being in the salt. Was most impressed with how smooth the drag on that reel was. Mounted it on a G Loomis Greenwater. Used it for years and landed the tarpon below using it. Still have the reel but just for the memories. It did make me think much more highly of Quantum reels.

Posted By: senko 10lb

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/31/17 11:48 AM

Can't be that bad that have won many classics.
Posted By: Gungle

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/31/17 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
You WANT my opinion of them?

The handle on a Quantum PT fits a Lews....that is what I use my Quantum for now-a-days. Parts

Yep, parts is parts. I have a drawer full of Quantum parts. yawn

Cheers, cheers

George
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/31/17 03:23 PM

My first bass reel was a Quantum DynaMag. Man I loved that reel. Can't remember the specific model, but it was like this one.

Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/31/17 03:28 PM

I have one tied on to my buoy marker.
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/31/17 03:35 PM

i have a couple of really old quantums that still work and I have a fairly new one I bought used on the trade forum here. it works well. wish I had bought a couple more

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/31/17 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson
My first bass reel was a Quantum DynaMag. Man I loved that reel. Can't remember the specific model, but it was like this one.

Quantum 1310MG, got two of them that I bought in the early 90's. Still work great, never replaced any parts only an occasional cleaning. These and Garcia 4600c are the best and most durable reels I've owned. Oh, and the Garcia 5500C3's are great reels too. Each serve a purpose.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/31/17 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Quantum 1310MG, got two of them that I bought in the early 90's. Still work great, never replaced any parts only an occasional cleaning. These and Garcia 4600c are the best and most durable reels I've owned. Oh, and the Garcia 5500C3's are great reels too. Each serve a purpose.

Yep, it was the 1310, not the one above.

This one.

Posted By: ThatOneBigKid

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/31/17 06:38 PM

Quantum is just about all I use. I have one of the new (4th gen) Energy's and love that reel. I have everything from a cheaper Kinetic and Accurist PT all the way up to the Exos and Smoke Speed Freak and I am happy with all of them. Would recommend to anyone.

I have a couple 1st gen Energys that still work like brand new and I have had them since new. They are my work horses.

Enjoy!
Posted By: Lil' Louie

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 03/31/17 07:27 PM

I prolly just suck at casting but man I bought 3 Exo's used from a few different folks and I've never backlashed so many dang times in my life with em. Unless I tighten everything up where the longest cast I can make is like 10 yards that's the only way I don't backlash every 15-20 casts... Again I prolly just suck. But I do like the feel (lightweight) of the reels... Anybody wanna trade???? smile

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 04/01/17 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Lil' Louie
I prolly just suck at casting but man I bought 3 Exo's used from a few different folks and I've never backlashed so many dang times in my life with em. Unless I tighten everything up where the longest cast I can make is like 10 yards that's the only way I don't backlash every 15-20 casts... Again I prolly just suck. But I do like the feel (lightweight) of the reels... Anybody wanna trade???? smile

I'm probably going to catch a lot of flak and criticism and start a war of words but I'm going to try and help you with your backlash problem. You can backlash any reel, I don't care how much you pay for it. The reels like the old Garcia reels are the easiest because they don't have the adjustable centrifugal brake which is adjusted by turning the knob that is on the opposite side of the crank. Here's what I do, with the lure I'm going to use, say a 1/2 oz. spinnerbait, I raise the rod tip to the 11 o'clock position, press and release the bar and let the lure fall. Adjust the tension behind the crank handle until the lure slowly falls. Next step is to cast the lure with the centrifugal brake set on 5. Under normal wind conditions 5 is plenty. Now the only way the reel will backlash is if the lure hits the water, tree, boat dock, etc. and your thumb is not on the spool. It's eye to thumb coordination and with a little practice you'll be able to lightly thumb the spool right as the lure hits the water. Now if you're casting into the wind that takes a little more practice. What I do is cast side arm and keep the lure lower to the water and out of the wind. Everything takes practice whether it's hitting a golf ball, shooting marbles or two stepping.
Get ready now because I just stirred the wasp nest and the bees are starting to buzz. More and better advice than mine is on the way. You can be a better caster and angler with a little practice. Hope I didn't ruin your day.
Posted By: Ranger 188

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 04/01/17 01:12 AM

Don't want to offend anyone but don't care much for quantum. Tried a few over the years and wasn't very happy w/ 'em. Spend your money on Shimano or diawa. Check out resale prices in the classifieds.

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 04/04/17 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

I'm probably going to catch a lot of flak and criticism and start a war of words but I'm going to try and help you with your backlash problem. You can backlash any reel, I don't care how much you pay for it. The reels like the old Garcia reels are the easiest because they don't have the adjustable centrifugal brake which is adjusted by turning the knob that is on the opposite side of the crank. Here's what I do, with the lure I'm going to use, say a 1/2 oz. spinnerbait, I raise the rod tip to the 11 o'clock position, press and release the bar and let the lure fall. Adjust the tension behind the crank handle until the lure slowly falls. Next step is to cast the lure with the centrifugal brake set on 5. Under normal wind conditions 5 is plenty. Now the only way the reel will backlash is if the lure hits the water, tree, boat dock, etc. and your thumb is not on the spool. It's eye to thumb coordination and with a little practice you'll be able to lightly thumb the spool right as the lure hits the water. Now if you're casting into the wind that takes a little more practice. What I do is cast side arm and keep the lure lower to the water and out of the wind. Everything takes practice whether it's hitting a golf ball, shooting marbles or two stepping.
Get ready now because I just stirred the wasp nest and the bees are starting to buzz. More and better advice than mine is on the way. You can be a better caster and angler with a little practice. Hope I didn't ruin your day.

I can't believe I just got advice from an Aggie! lol! No man I swear I don't know what it is about these Exo's... I've done all that you mentioned. I mess with em constantly. I still like em and think I might finally have em all set right but man they frustrated the heck outta me. Been fishin my whole life and never had so many problems trying to use a reel.
Posted By: matt varnadore

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 04/05/17 01:55 PM

If you are back lashing that exo pull the side cover off and adjust the internal brake. Apparently a lot of people don't know there is one example inside the side cover.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 04/05/17 02:09 PM

Not to pile on but I have owned three of them over the years and none of them were usable after maybe 2 years. I own a bunch of 10-20+ year old Shimano's that are still running strong (with annual cleaning).
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 04/05/17 02:21 PM

I had a couple. They were noisy and loose and I just never liked them. For the same price point I can buy Daiwa, Abu Garcia or Lews. All are far better in my opinion.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 04/05/17 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom
I had a couple. They were noisy and loose and I just never liked them. For the same price point I can buy Daiwa, Abu Garcia or Lews. All are far better in my opinion.

Saying you "had a couple" seems like baseless info with respect to the question asked. Of the hundreds of models that Quantum has offered over a period of many years, which did you have? If something from 6-10 years ago, then I could see not liking them. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you did NOT own EXO or Smoke models. Even the Energy is pretty good for the price paid, though that one has been replaced by "Vapor" (which has a cooler name to get more buyers).

I have a pile of the Smoke and EXO reels, in 100, 200, and 300 size. I view them as high quality, and I quit buying Abu Garcia. In fact, the Gen 3 Winch I had bought is now my wife's cranking reel, if that tells you anything.
Posted By: LvilleLrat

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 04/05/17 02:49 PM

Louie I'll take them EXO's off your hands!!
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 04/05/17 03:00 PM

Are you aware of the brake setting dial INSIDE the reel under the side cover on the spool sideplate? On the later EXOs, there is a small safety lock button on the sideplate near the bottom that must be pushed before the sliding "Lock/Unlock" lever can be moved. This is how you get inside it to make the setting change.

The spool shaft is supported by 2 or 3 high-quality bearings for the better Quantum reels (where the EXO was the flagship). I believe that the pinion completely decouples on Smoke and EXO, so this makes "free spool" REALLY REALLY mean FREE! The drag on the spool spinning is virtually non-existent, and this is a fantastic starting point. Depending on angler skill, more or less brake and spool tension is needed. Someone who is used to casting cheap reels (with lots of drag) will find they need to adjust and practice when they move up to any of the high-quality reels, regardless of brand.

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 04/05/17 03:10 PM

I own several brands of reels and have adjusted all of them every which way, hidden centrifugal weights and spool fulness included. The Quantum I owned underwent all of these adjustments and still would not work FOR ME. It sits in the rod box unattached to any rod and soon will be demoted to the basement. But, I'm not saying that this same reel couldn't work for someone else. Everyone is a bit different in casting form and strength. {But that same reel was given to me by my son who also couldn't get it to work.}

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 04/05/17 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: matt varnadore
If you are back lashing that exo pull the side cover off and adjust the internal brake. Apparently a lot of people don't know there is one example inside the side cover.

ya I have. That's what I mess with the most.

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 04/05/17 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: LvilleLrat

Louie I'll take them EXO's off your hands!!

lol oh I know, I know....

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 04/05/17 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out

Are you aware of the brake setting dial INSIDE the reel under the side cover on the spool sideplate? On the later EXOs, there is a small safety lock button on the sideplate near the bottom that must be pushed before the sliding "Lock/Unlock" lever can be moved. This is how you get inside it to make the setting change.

The spool shaft is supported by 2 or 3 high-quality bearings for the better Quantum reels (where the EXO was the flagship). I believe that the pinion completely decouples on Smoke and EXO, so this makes "free spool" REALLY REALLY mean FREE! The drag on the spool spinning is virtually non-existent, and this is a fantastic starting point. Depending on angler skill, more or less brake and spool tension is needed. Someone who is used to casting cheap reels (with lots of drag) will find they need to adjust and practice when they move up to any of the high-quality reels, regardless of brand.

ya I've messed with it a bunch depending on if I'm trying to make long casts vs flippin and stuff... but really you prolly hit the nail on the head with high quality because I usually tend to stick with the cheaper stuff which really works just fine. Maybe its just too fancy for me. But I think I finally got it figured out for the most part.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 04/06/17 12:51 AM

JUNK!
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? - 04/06/17 01:49 AM

Don't own any they were the one brand my reel repair guy wouldn't work on, said they were junk.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum