Texas Fishing Forum

Alternatives to Lake Fork

Posted By: ThatOneBigKid

Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 04:13 PM

My two uncles, my bro-in-law, and myself will be coming down to Pope's Landing April 9th-15th. During past trips to Fork, in talking to people when the bite has been tough they have mentioned going to other lakes like Palestine, Holbrook, Monticello (Within an hours drive or so of Fork) when the fishing on Fork shuts down.

My question is, as a back up plan, which lake would you recommend going to as a plan B around Lake Fork to catch some fish if Fork is being stubborn?

The last two years the fishing on Fork has shut down after one or two days of being there and I would just like to have a backup plan if this happens for the third straight year.

Any and all help is very much appreciated!
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 04:15 PM

April 9th-15th..........you wont need a back up plan! There should still be fish on beds all over the place! You guys should catch plenty of fish.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 04:15 PM

Tawakoni

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Sinkey
April 9th-15th..........you wont need a back up plan! There should still be fish on beds all over the place! You guys should catch plenty of fish.

Man I hope so. After driving home the last two years with our tails between our legs we are due for a good one.

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Tawakoni

I have seen this close to Fork on the map, but have never heard anything about it in regards to good fishing. Is this a good bass lake?
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 04:20 PM

How do you like to fish? Be honest. There a several lakes that could treat you well depending on your style.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 04:21 PM

Lake o the Pines ,Monticello.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 04:22 PM

It has only got worse..
Originally Posted By: ThatOneBigKid

Man I hope so. After driving home the last two years with our tails between our legs we are due for a good one.

Tawakoni

I have seen this close to Fork on the map, but have never heard anything about it in regards to good fishing. Is this a good bass lake?
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 04:24 PM

Bob Sandlin, Holbrook, Hawkins, Quitman, Lake O'Pines and Palestine. All good lakes and within 2 hours of Fork. If fishing Palestine you don't have to go north to have a good time and it is probably not wise to go north your first time.
Posted By: Nick From Minnesota

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: musiclife_7
How do you like to fish? Be honest. There a several lakes that could treat you well depending on your style.

Only way I like to fish is Plastics. Tx rig or a jig on 20lbs floruo with heavy rods. I tied on a weightless Senko and I will try that.

Any lakes that are better for that than Fork?

EDIT: I am one of the relatives of OP
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 04:34 PM

Monticello and Bob Sandlin for those techniques if Fork shuts down (and both can be reached from the same park)! Keep Athens in the back of your head if the wind picks up from the south.

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Nick From Minnesota

Only way I like to fish is Plastics. Tx rig or a jig on 20lbs floruo with heavy rods. I tied on a weightless Senko and I will try that.

Change your trip to Toledo Bend / Rayburn. Between the 2 there are 295,000 acres of water.

You are already coming from the other side of the world, an extra 2 hours isn't a big deal.
Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 05:07 PM

Bob sandlin, LOP, Holbrook, tawakoni, there are plenty.

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 05:12 PM

So basically you are wanting to flip. While Fork is one of the few places that you can catch a 10+ on any cast I may have to agree with Doug R. Rayburn/Toledo may be better overall, especially in the numbers game.

However if that's not possible there are several lakes that I would recommend. First really close is Holbrook. Fun lake and plenty of things to flip.

Cedar Creek. Large lake with millions of targets and docks.
Tawakoni - keep the boat in or less than 4ft and flip your heart out. I prefer the west side of the lake personally.

Bob Sandlin, Cypress Springs, Monticello, Welsh, Lake of the Pines - within 2 hours drive and all have a ton of vegetation and trees to flip.

Personally I would stay away from Palestine being that you don't have any experience on the lake. The others are pretty doable. If you go to welsh or monti be safe and IDLE.
Posted By: Rockie Martin

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 05:13 PM

If you wanna catch fish at Fork you need to have a drop shot rigged. Just saying.....
Posted By: Brandon Potter

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 06:00 PM

Don't forget Winnsboro. Love that lake!
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 07:04 PM

Another vote for Bob Sandlin. Sandlin is an East/West lake so there are plenty of places to fish in a south wind.
Posted By: Luke Scribner

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 07:20 PM

Winnsboro! It's a Great Lake and not much pressure, Brandon has it right!
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 07:27 PM

If you wanna flip go to rayburn
Posted By: steve Mbass

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 07:28 PM

Holbrook
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 07:29 PM

Arn't you in the wrong state for those techniques lol! Like mentioned get to Rayburn or Toledo if your trying to flip all day. Fork is going to be more about weightless plastics, shad spawn moving baits and sight fishing.

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 07:50 PM

LOL Yeah....he needs to move down here to Flip City....

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 09:31 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

As for the flipping. MN is prime time late spring - early fall for flippin' weed lines. Nothing better than sticking a MN hog of a 10ft weed line. Nonetheless, Nick and I would love to move to TX. We have talked about it for the last couple years.

Technique wise, I am game to do anything on Fork to get bit. I am pumped to hear there will be bed fish. I will have a drop shot tied and will be throwing.

Was just curious as to alternatives to Fork if it really shuts off or the wind is blowing like crazy.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 10:08 PM

Fork, as has been the case for many years, has been hammered since late February. Just got finished with a Mega Bass tournament that had 1800 anglers and that doesn't count probably another 1000 that wasn't fishing the tournament. There are probably a couple hundred guides that fish with customers every day. Couple weeks ago when I was there saw a guide boat with 4 others in the boat. Now I'm not going to say other lakes aren't feeling pressure but not like Fork. Like one of the other posters said I would recommend going to Rayburn/ Toledo Bend. They are a half hour apart and have many east/west coves that will keep you out of the predominately south wind we have this time of year. I live 1 1/2 hours from Fork and I avoid it like the plague this time of year. My alternate lake is Palestine with Bob Sandlin a close second. Tawakoni is mostly a striper/ sand bass lake and a south wind is brutal there. Get with your buddies and think a little more about your choices. Regardless, good luck and safe travels.
Posted By: James P.

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 10:19 PM

Mill Creek in Canton
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 10:35 PM

My two uncles, my bro-in-law, and myself will be coming down to Pope's Landing April 9th-15th.

April 10th is Full Moon. There will be a wave of fish moving up to spawn on Fork or many of the other lakes you mentioned. Your timing is good.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 10:49 PM

Skip fork altogether and go to RC.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 11:08 PM

Richland Chambers? Why? fish for mudcats?
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Richland Chambers? Why? fish for mudcats?

Oh that's right only place and way to catch a bass in Texas is fork on a drop shot or wacky worm. Sorry I forgot.
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/28/17 11:49 PM

Winnsboro or Hawkins. Both have quality fish and don't get pressure near as much as Fork!!!!!

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/29/17 05:59 PM

Sorry guys, switching away from staying on Fork at this point is not an option. This is why I was asking for options we could drive to from Popes.

Something to consider for next spring's trip though. We mentioned it last year that changing away from Fork may be a good idea. If this year isn't productive changing to another lake will be a likely possibility.

Thanks again for all the help.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/29/17 07:06 PM

Tawkoni is close and should have some really good numbers available but not big fish for the most part. Last year in the Champs tourney between me and my brother in law's teams we caught 100+ fish but all were dinks...this year those fish should be about 2# so could make for a fun day if you can find them. And with the lake about 3' low there should be some flooded willows in about 2-3' feet of water holding fish. Last Summer the Willows were so thick in some places we were in 5-6' and couldn't get even close to the bank.
Posted By: x19dm

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/29/17 07:35 PM

While we don't travel as far I have a group that goes every year from late April to Mid-May. I know it isn't possible for you this year but my recommendation would be to consider moving your date back a week or two. Granted we have had some terrible years but in the 12-14 years we have been doing it I can only think of 1-2 that as a group we didn't catch enough to keep us wanting to come back. The only thing to watch out for and plan around is the Legends tournament which usually occurs around mid to end of May. I don't mind admitting it but after our first couple of years we have hired a couple of guides for the first day each year. We don't necessarily fish their spots but it does give us a good idea of the pattern and if the guide is doing something specific or just fishing a couple of spots you can ask them what other things might work during the week. I enjoy that day to not have to worry about running the boat. We are usually fishing post spawn and try to avoid the full moon at that time unless you wanted to fish nights. Haven't surpassed the double digit yet but have caught many 7-9 lbr's. To answer your original question we did go to Bob Sandlin a couple of years ago on the last day as the fishing turned off and had a great outing.

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/29/17 07:47 PM

Honestly if you want to enjoy Fork more, change your trips in the future to late May-July.

The Spring time is okay, but when the big schools start feeding offshore, it's a lot more fun and honestly a lot easier to catch numbers of bigger fish...
Posted By: FMJag64

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/29/17 09:22 PM

Sandlin
Posted By: Gangster

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/31/17 01:53 AM

Tawakoni

Yes. It's regarded as quantity over quality.
Posted By: LakeForkLodge

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 03/31/17 02:29 AM

Pines is my choice.
Posted By: prospec1

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/03/17 04:38 PM

I'll be there on the 6th
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/03/17 05:29 PM

Been more bass boats in our cove on Sandlin this year than I have ever seen. Might need to get out the potato cannon.
Posted By: rooster tail

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/03/17 05:35 PM

Being from Minnesota , Id plan a trip to Okeechobee in April next year. Flipping is the deal on that lake. You can also texas rig worms and swimbaits to catch big ones
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/03/17 05:37 PM

athens is 1hr 9 mins from Popes to the ramp. good alternative if its super windy.
Posted By: prospec1

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/03/17 05:51 PM

Holbrook is a great little lake
Posted By: Clint H.

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/03/17 06:51 PM

I live in winnsborro and there's not many lakes I havnt fished in the area. You could draw a 50 mIle circle around fork and pick a lake

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/03/17 07:45 PM

you could spend a week fishing wood county lakes and have a blast without launching on fork.

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/03/17 08:16 PM

We can catch 5s, 6s and 7s up here during the summer. We are looking for that 10+. That is the reason we are going to Fork. Any of those places you guys mentioned have 10+ lbs bass?
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/03/17 08:28 PM

I've fished down here for over 20 years and only have caught one double digit fish and that was from Caddo. I have several (5) 9's from Fork but they are still pretty rare. I'll bet every lake mentioned has a 10+ in it, it's a matter of finding it and getting it to bite.

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/03/17 08:31 PM

every lake in texas has dds in them. having them and catching them are 2 different things though.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/03/17 08:42 PM

We can catch 5s, 6s and 7s up here during the summer. We are looking for that 10+. That is the reason we are going to Fork. Any of those places you guys mentioned have 10+ lbs bass?

You might get very disappointed Nick, there were over 1800 anglers that fished the Mega Bass tournament March 19 on Fork and there were only 4 DD caught. And that was a two day tournament. Some of the guides go all year and not catch one. If you're real lucky and an above average angler you might catch a couple of overs. ( overs = 24" )

Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/03/17 09:18 PM

Not really..... I understand what you're saying.....Fork there's a chance for magic, however slim it may be.

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/03/17 11:01 PM

so as i understand it, you are looking for a legendary, world class big-bass fishery as a back up in case fork sucks for a day, but within an hour's drive of lake fork?
Posted By: kskoglund3233

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/03/17 11:17 PM

Lake Athens 100%. Absolutely loaded with grass, small lake and within an hour to hour fifteen from popes landing down highway 19. Also not stumpy like Palestine or any lake you are unfamiliar with.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/04/17 12:25 AM

I work a couple times a year in Minneapolis. Guides always want to fish Large Mouth at Lake Minnetonka. I go to Mille Lacs. Can't see fishing for largemouth when a 8# is a giant when I live in Texas. Now those smallmouth are fun.

Coming to Texas to catch a 10# plus isn't good odds on any lake.

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/04/17 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
You might get very disappointed Nick, there were over 1800 anglers that fished the Mega Bass tournament March 19 on Fork and there were only 4 DD caught. And that was a two day tournament. Some of the guides go all year and not catch one. If you're real lucky and an above average angler you might catch a couple of overs. ( overs = 24" )

I don't think I can be disappointed lol. We have been coming there for 5 years now and no DD. I know they are in there and I know they can bite at any time. So just the thought of one being in there makes me happy. No bass pro hat here.

Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
Not really..... I understand what you're saying.....Fork there's a chance for magic, however slim it may be.

This guy had the right idea. Positive attitude will pay off someday.

Originally Posted By: Ted Martin
so as i understand it, you are looking for a legendary, world class big-bass fishery as a back up in case fork sucks for a day, but within an hour's drive of lake fork?

Sure. Why not? Worth asking right?
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/04/17 02:49 PM

If your goal is a DD and you really don't care about 5-7lber then put the TM on high and don't stop until you see one. Full moon is on the 11th so there should be a wave pushing up when you are there.

Re: Alternatives to Lake Fork - 04/04/17 02:54 PM

I don't think I can be disappointed lol. We have been coming there for 5 years now and no DD. I know they are in there and I know they can bite at any time. So just the thought of one being in there makes me happy. No bass pro hat here.

Originally Posted By: Ted Martin

Sure. Why not? Worth asking right?

OK, if you look at the lake records on all the lakes listed above, they are all in the double digits, some over 13. Any of the lakes you go to in east texas have monsters swimming around in them, so the opportunity is still there if you venture away from Fork.

Anecdotally, i have put in more fishing hours on Fork than any lake in Texas, but never caught a DD there, both my DDs came from other lakes i don't fish often. Go figure. if its your day its your day.

edit - look at the threads on this forum - lakes that aren't known nationally for big still give up giants. a guy weighed ... what a 13.97 at Belton of all places.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum