Texas Fishing Forum

Wacky Hook?

Posted By: Wormin

Wacky Hook? - 03/27/17 02:25 PM

I need advise on what hook/setup to use for wacky senko. I am currently using 1/0 or 2/0 Mustad Octopus wacky hooks. O-ring on senko with 10-lb flouro on spinning reel. I constantly have fish shake off at the boat. Most of the fish I land are hooked down in their mouth and not through lips.

1) do I need to change hooks? Offset, Straight shank, or larger octopus?
2) do I need a heavier setup for harder hookset? Casting rod with heavier line?
3) any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Wacky Hook? - 03/27/17 02:30 PM

O-rings with a regular EWG hook if you aren't fishing heavy cover. Maybe use a wacky rig hook with a weed guard if you're near cover.

The O-ring is a lure saver for sure though.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Wacky Hook? - 03/27/17 02:37 PM

You'll be hard pressed to beta this hook. Your line is fine for all but the heavy cover applications.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_Weedless_Wacky_Hook_4pk/descpage-OWWH.html
Posted By: mudd

Re: Wacky Hook? - 03/27/17 02:54 PM

I use VMC Wacky Weedless hooks and throw it on a bait caster and 20lb line. I don't loose fish with this setup and will throw it into anything.
Posted By: mark.tpt

Re: Wacky Hook? - 03/27/17 03:06 PM

I often fish heavy cover, so I always use a weedless hook. I've used several different hooks for this, including Eagle Claw and VMC, and I've settled on the Strike King weedless hook in about a 3/0 or 4/0 size. Fish often take the wacky worm pretty deep in their mouth before the hookset, so I prefer the longer shank on the SK than most wacky hooks. Makes it so much easier to get to it and get it out. The weed guard is also way more sturdy than most.

To rig, I use 2 O-rings crossed over each other, with the hook going between them so it's perpendicular to the body of the worm. This keeps the hook pointed upward in the water as the worm falls, which helps it go into the top of the fish's mouth. This technique has greatly improved my hookup and landing percentage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-oO-86RNao

I also bend the shaft of the hook slightly toward the point so I can hook the weed guard on the barb, preventing it from popping open until you need it to.

Hope this helps!
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Wacky Hook? - 03/27/17 03:40 PM

Daiichi makes a Circle Wacky Hook that hooks in the corner of the mouth. Almost impossible to throw. Model D48Z. I have been using them for years. They are very effective!
http://www.ttiblakemore.com/product/d48z-catch-and-release-for-plastics-bleeding-bait-finish/
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Wacky Hook? - 03/27/17 05:01 PM

If you want to keep the lighter gear, consider going down to a finesse style hook with lighter wire. How are you setting the hook? You shouldn't jerk hard, but the hookset should be more vertical I think.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Wacky Hook? - 03/27/17 05:10 PM

I've used this one for years. Must be popular I have a hard time finding them locally. Read the description. The weedguard is quite soft, fish stay buttoned.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamakatsu_Wide_Gap_Finesse_Hook_Weedless_/descpage-GFWH.html
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Wacky Hook? - 03/27/17 06:44 PM

I make my own for Senkos. A 4/0 Gammy Octopus hook with added weedguard of Malin 7 leader:

Posted By: BigHead248

Re: Wacky Hook? - 03/27/17 07:27 PM

VMC wacky weedless
Posted By: Wormin

Re: Wacky Hook? - 03/27/17 10:04 PM

For hookset I use a sweeping motion more than a jerk since the hook is exposed.

Thanks everyone for the information. I will be sure to get some more hooks to try.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Wacky Hook? - 03/27/17 10:24 PM

Try just lifting the rod and reeling in to them, see if they don't pin themselves. I do give a little whip up of a hookset with this technique, not a "cross their eyes", not a true side-sweep. More of an inbetween...
Posted By: SoCalTexan

Re: Wacky Hook? - 03/27/17 10:26 PM

+1 on the Gammy Octopus hook
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum