Texas Fishing Forum

Recommendations for Trailer Brake Repairs

Posted By: StratVoodoo

Recommendations for Trailer Brake Repairs - 03/22/17 01:25 PM

I have surge brakes on my boat trailer and they are not disengaging when I go to back up. Can anyone give me a recommendation on a reputable shop that works on them? They are the UFP Trailer Buddy brakes.
Posted By: SilverTR20

Re: Recommendations for Trailer Brake Repairs - 03/22/17 02:22 PM

Service Marine in Emory has fixed my trailer brakes. Sound like the solenoid.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Recommendations for Trailer Brake Repairs - 03/22/17 03:05 PM

Rockwall Marine is another source, great folks to do business with.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Recommendations for Trailer Brake Repairs - 03/22/17 03:50 PM

You are not towing with a different vehicle are you? Two years ago my new to me boat had the same issue, turns out it was not to boat trailer but my tow vehicle was missing a fuse that enabled the backup solenoid to disengage when I put the truck in reverse. Got that fuse and everything worked fine.

Re: Recommendations for Trailer Brake Repairs - 03/22/17 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher
You are not towing with a different vehicle are you? Two years ago my new to me boat had the same issue, turns out it was not to boat trailer but my tow vehicle was missing a fuse that enabled the backup solenoid to disengage when I put the truck in reverse. Got that fuse and everything worked fine.

Same vehicle, but I'll double check the power to the solenoid.
Posted By: TX Basser

Re: Recommendations for Trailer Brake Repairs - 03/22/17 05:10 PM

Not trying to be a SA but if you don't have the trailer plug hooked to your tow vehicle this will happen. First hand knowledge on this one.

Re: Recommendations for Trailer Brake Repairs - 03/22/17 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: TX Basser
Not trying to be a SA but if you don't have the trailer plug hooked to your tow vehicle this will happen. First hand knowledge on this one.

It's connected
Posted By: Jiff7210

Re: Recommendations for Trailer Brake Repairs - 03/22/17 06:20 PM

If you are fairly handy this shouldn't be a very difficult task. I ordered a entire new coupler with the reverse solenoid from etrailer for under $200. The solenoid should be even cheaper by itself. Also check the wiring. The reverse solenoid needs to go to a good ground and also the reverse wire on your wiring to activate.
Posted By: squib

Re: Recommendations for Trailer Brake Repairs - 03/22/17 07:07 PM

On a round connector, the middle "socket" is the one that needs to be hot for your trailer brakes to work properly in reverse. The pin at about 4 o'clock is the ground I believe (if you look at the cover for the plug it will show you). Get a test light and connect to the ground and then the other end to the center socket. Have someone put the vehicle in reverse, and if you don't get the light to come on, then the problem is with the truck fuses/plug.

On the trailer, those solenoids are somewhat bulletproof if they have a good ground. You may need to do a little grinding on the trailer to get the ground right.
Posted By: Beast From The East

Re: Recommendations for Trailer Brake Repairs - 03/22/17 09:02 PM

Service marine hit me with a 800 dollar bill on my trailer and then told me..... I dont know whats wrong with that back driver side brake, it keeps locking up. You want to hit it right here if it locks up on you. lol

They had my boat for two weeks and gave me a 800 dollar bill and failed to replace the caliper that was locking up.

I'd take my outboard there but I'd take my trailer elsewhere. wink

Re: Recommendations for Trailer Brake Repairs - 03/22/17 10:39 PM

Thanks for the input folks. Fixed the issue. The factory had used one of the cheap snap on splice couplers for the solenoid power wire up inside the tongue and the lead had pulled loose.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum