Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/20/17 10:51 PM

I'm holding out for the 40"
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/20/17 10:59 PM

At $5-$5.8K a pop? OMG
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/20/17 11:02 PM

I'm sure some will have to have two on the console and two up front. Before long they will be so big you won't be able to see to drive the boat unless they have a built in camera and you see where you are driving on the screen.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/20/17 11:09 PM

I love my 12 for finding slabs but I got it for less than half that! Heck I can't keep it and the 7 and the livewells running all day long on an optima 31M! That thing would need its own battery and charger I bet!! At that price point I'm out but you ditch pickle chasers spend lots more $$$!!

Slew thumb
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/20/17 11:46 PM

Posted By: BAGaBass

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/20/17 11:46 PM

Good Lawd!!! Now this is officially getting out of hand......
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/20/17 11:54 PM

It is cool though that it can control anything in your boat....but I like my big screens in my house, not on the boat. Next thing to come is a FX23/923/Z523/V23 to accommodate electronics.
Posted By: horton5303

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/20/17 11:55 PM

I bet that is awesome but i will never pay that for electronics. Maybe if i was a millionaire. My Hds 7 touch was PLENTY to find the fish.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/20/17 11:58 PM

miss the old X-85
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/20/17 11:59 PM

Build it and they will come. In a couple of years somebody will come out with a "heads-up" display unit for 10k that will cause people to say that is officially out of hand too.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 12:01 AM

It's getting a little ridiculous! lol my 12 is plenty big enough.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 12:03 AM

i'm holding out for the pop-up from the front deck
Posted By: jcwebb70

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By: fitter2259
Build it and they will come. In a couple of years somebody will come out with a "heads-up" display unit for 10k that will cause people to say that is officially out of hand too.

I like the idea of HUD for the charts when running Roberts
But for $6K it needs to show me where/what to throw and include the NCAA/NFL game day package
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 12:15 AM

I'm looking forward to the bundle package email!

2-HDS 16s and 2-12s for $14k.

Getchya sum of dat!
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 12:15 AM

Garmin has some 24" for offshore that goes for 12,000 that sale all the time. This will sale even in the bass fishing community and offshore. If you can build it they will buy it. LOL
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 12:51 AM

Good news is a lot of folks will be upgrading and selling their 12s for cheap!
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 12:51 AM

How bout Dat
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 12:58 AM

So....who's going to be first?? That's the only question lol
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 01:05 AM

offshore units have been up in that price range for quite awhile. it was only a matter of time until freshwater units reached that price level. wish I could afford one, but that is totally out of my reasoning/budget. a touch 12 is the exent of my need. would be nice, though.
Posted By: mwbmod74

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 02:09 AM

Here it is in testing,,,,, works great.....
Posted By: Texasdeepv

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: jcwebb70
[quote=fitter2259]
and include the NCAA/NFL game day package

we may laugh but im betting its just a matter of time. Im also betting the tech may already be built in them and its just a matter of flipping a switch. Just sayin....
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 02:12 AM

I'll upgrade from 12's to 16's as soon as they come equipped with the the true next generation of technology.
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 02:27 AM

I will pay 6k when it can tell me what fish I'm looking at and the weight!
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 02:32 AM

I don't see how you will be able to see around it. I am already concerned with the visibility with 2 12" mounted on the dash. I was looking at a boat at the dock at Jackson hilland he had the right hand unit mounted on a Ram Mount that was mounted on the Gunnel. It had stuck up about 8" above the windshield of the boat. I didn't see the owner and he may have been 7ft tall, but I think this was a giant blind spot for the driver.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 02:45 AM

My thoughts? Stupid.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 03:36 AM

Not for me.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 01:29 PM

The people at Hummingbird just crapped their pants.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 01:47 PM

Bigger is better as far as ease of viewing, but I think a 12" size screen is an adequate size in a bass boat. But some folks will get the new 16" and enjoy it I'm sure. I would probably consider one if I ran a big offshore boat.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 01:57 PM

I paid $3500 for my boat, motor, and trailer. I added two Garmin units a 9" and a 7", a battery charger, and new tires so I am all in at about $5500 and still don't equal the price of one of those units. No way!!!!
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 01:57 PM

That thing needs to get HBO so I can watch Game of Thrones when the fishing is slow
Posted By: javelin150

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm

Did they? Already announced and nearly $2k cheaper....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/HUMMINBIR...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm

roflmao
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 04:49 PM

Lowrance HDS 16 at the console, Humminbird 15 Solix at the bow with 360 imaging. Ultrex linked with the 'bird. $10k later you are ready to go.
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 05:29 PM

I will consider one 16 instead of two 12's at the console for next years boat.
I wish that they would come up with a head unit and then some units that were just extended displays.
For example have a HDS-XX and then be able to purchase a much lower cost unit with no processor, GPS, sonar, bluetooth etc. to give you another display like you can do on PC's.
I typically run a total of 4 screens at the console. Map, sonar, down scan and structure scan.
At the bow I run 3 map, sonar and down.
I currently run 3 12's. Could I get by with one 12 split into 4 screens or a smaller unit at the console? Sure, however I do like the larger screen size especially when running trails or boat lanes and I have to zoom in on the map.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 06:28 PM

Solix 15 is $3500 and has mega imaging. Can't see justifying the extra 2k for a 16
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 06:32 PM

Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 09:07 PM

Wow! I bet yawl get one. LOL, computer monitors.
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
You need to sell one of those and put new carpet in that boat.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 09:34 PM

The technology doesnt warrant the price tag or anywhere close. We get constantly screwed by the marine electronics industry. I'm pretty sure this one does not much more than a gen 1 or 2. When they start looking acting and costing about what a good IPad costs let me know. Most of this stuff is [censored].

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
The technology doesnt warrant the price tag or anywhere close. We get constantly screwed by the marine electronics industry. I'm pretty sure this one does not much more than a gen 1 or 2. When they start looking acting and costing about what a good IPad costs let me know. Most of this stuff is [censored].

confused How are they (marine electronics industry) screwing us? There's offerings at all price points for consumers; these newer, higher-priced ones should drive down the cost of older, smaller units...

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: M. Alexander

confused How are they (marine electronics industry) screwing us? There's offerings at all price points for consumers; these newer, higher-priced ones should drive down the cost of older, smaller units...

When you get down to it all the companies are offering basically the same stuff, 2,3,4,5k for a unit. Look at other stuff, phones, laptops, tv, iPad, hell one of my kids kendells cost next to nothing. Now marine electronics that have not really changed at all in how many years? It's antiquated stuff at a premium and they just trickle it out, change the look a bit, bigger screen, same [censored]. The high end stuff if you want to call it high end should cost about what and hdi maybe does. It's dooky. But you go ahead and buy it.

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/21/17 10:44 PM

When you get down to it all the companies are offering basically the same stuff, 2,3,4,5k for a unit. Look at other stuff, phones, laptops, tv, iPad, hell one of my kids kendells cost next to nothing. Now marine electronics that have not really changed at all in how many years? It's antiquated stuff at a premium and they just trickle it out, change the look a bit, bigger screen, same [censored]. The high end stuff if you want to call it high end should cost about what and hdi maybe does. It's dooky. But you go ahead and buy it.

Meh, these units aren't for me & I disagree with just about everything you said, but that's okay. It's the internet and we're adults cheers
Posted By: mudd

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/22/17 12:26 AM

Garmin still had bigger first and still better
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/22/17 12:39 AM

Yes sir sure do - GPSMAP® 8424 MFD
Posted By: Lone Star Ranger

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/22/17 02:05 AM

Unreal...Just the accessories that we "Must Have"(Due to excellent marketing by the fishing industry) on boats these days will run over 25k. 3-4 graphs, structure scan or PanOptix, talons or power poles, Hydro wave, blue tooth trolling motors, even lithium batteries, it just gets crazy.

Then add 10-15 rod and reels on the deck for at minimum 300 each, 75 lbs of worms and tackle in the boat, flurocarbon line, tungsten weights, $20 plus lures... You can spend 40k before even buying a boat and motor.

I can picture 23' bass boats with 350 hp outboards costing 100-120k in the very near future. financing available for 30 years and many will sign on the dotted line......
Posted By: sktr300zx

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/23/17 01:37 AM

What the hell happened to just going fishing??????
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/23/17 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: sktr300zx
What the hell happened to just going fishing??????

Nothing....you have total control on how much you spend on fishing. Tons of affordable products out there.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/23/17 11:41 AM

I always find it amusing when the negativity comes out over a new product, whether it be a 400 HP outboard or a 16" graph. I suppose it helps some folks feel better about themselves to degrade something they feel is superior than what they own or buy.

Never understood that mindset and likely never will. Reading some of the carp on here makes me want to slash my wrist with a rusty razor. roflmao
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/23/17 12:16 PM

It's cool that a company would even build it.....much less market and offer them for sale. It's the guys that DONT buy the super high end gear that win. The trickle down technology that eventually goes into the lower priced units is where it becomes a win.

Like a Helix 10 with Mega! Plenty big, and VERY powerful.....at a fraction of the Solix price.

The Carbon series will make the less expensive HDS units better with product development, and the inclusion of the latest technology in a smaller unit.

Be glad companies will make "halo" products. It's better than bitching about a new unit that is WORSE than an older one.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/23/17 12:27 PM

Oh, but I don't have one.......soooooooo, they're not worth it! Yet!
Posted By: C Worthy

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/23/17 12:55 PM

I am still trying to make up my mind....... Does it get HBO and Cinemax? Do you have to pay for ESPN extra?
Really, I think that it is a bit much but I understand why they are doing it. It is easier to have everything zoomed all the time rather than having to pick just one spot to zoom on. I had a HDS 12 and sold it and went down to a HDS 9. Wound up putting the 9 up front and getting another 12. At the console I like a big screen because it is just easier to see stuff on SI on a larger screen, but 16" is going to be big. HDS 12 is 12.92" X 8.85" HDS 16 is 16.26" X 10.15" They both pull the same power though "Hmmmm" 500W
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/23/17 01:43 PM

Stick(free), string(.49 cents, Walmart), 1 oz. weight,(.99 cents, Basspro) ur in business!!! roflmao
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/23/17 03:13 PM

I want 2.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/23/17 03:18 PM

I bet their are already boats out there with two on console. LOL
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/23/17 04:55 PM

WOW! $4,999 to $5,799.

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/23/17 06:35 PM

I guess what kills it for me.....

It simply doesn't do anything more than the regular smaller screens....not enough to justify the huge price jump.

When you can buy a 65" HD tv at a store for $600....I can't say that the 16" screen is where the huge price jump is coming from. I think the huge price jump is because someone will be stupid enough to spend it because it is the biggest HDS....for today anyway. Tomorrow, someone will have a 17" and the person with the 16" will be off to BassPro again.
Posted By: snickers

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/24/17 12:06 PM

Ill wait for the 24
Posted By: Basscat496

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/24/17 01:03 PM

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/24/17 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I guess what kills it for me.....

It simply doesn't do anything more than the regular smaller screens....not enough to justify the huge price jump.

When you can buy a 65" HD tv at a store for $600....I can't say that the 16" screen is where the huge price jump is coming from. I think the huge price jump is because someone will be stupid enough to spend it because it is the biggest HDS....for today anyway. Tomorrow, someone will have a 17" and the person with the 16" will be off to BassPro again.

Exactly
Posted By: Joefishin

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/24/17 02:26 PM

They are absolutely screwing us. I've been into technology my whole life and have worked my career in I.T. There is nothing special about these new units coming out every year, year after year. Most of the changes are in software and accessories. The core units at the base of it all is just a processor with memory.

I can't wait until the day that one of the smaller companies comes along and undercuts the big guys. Offer us a base unit with plenty of processing power and memory with solid state disk drives. As new accessories come out we purchase them and we purchase the software upgrades, but the base unit can last 3 to 5 years. Not much is changing these days on Laptops as far as processing power in respect to the software that runs on it, that's why they are getting cheaper and cheaper.

I am not buying into this game anymore. My current Touch 9 was bought used and I have and HDS8 Gen 2 on the front that I bought on closeout. They are networked and are more than adequate for what I need.

Your Computer or Laptop is 10x more powerful than these units and they are 1/2 to 1/3 the price. Think about it.....

They are bragging about a dual core processor, LOL. Dual core is 4 years ago, so basically they are bragging about giving you a technology that has existed for years and now you can run simultaneous operations because you basically have 2 Processing units. They could have done it years ago. The cost difference in the big picture in that aspect is minimal it's less than 100 bucks. It talks nothing about processor speed, just the ability to run more at the same time. Big whoop, coulda been doing that all along. Here's the nuts and bolts of it though. In order to take advantage of more than one processing unit the software has to be written to do it. So it's really not so much about adding the dual core as the advertising talks about as re-writing software to take advantage of it. All of that could have been done and sold to you as an upgrade to an already existing unit.......

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/24/17 02:39 PM

This no different than what has happened across the board in the fishing industry.
$300 rods
$500 reels
$25 spool of line...

I am in agreement with the dated technology argument and also believe it is price gouging at its finest.

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/24/17 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: RedEar12
This no different than what has happened across the board in the fishing industry.
$300 rods
$500 reels
$25 spool of line...

I am in agreement with the dated technology argument and also believe it is price gouging at its finest.

I agree to an extent, but at least with the rods and reels they are being modified to use new materials, carbon fibers, titanium, kevlar, ceramics etc.. Technology is actually being implemented that has higher costs.

You can't say the same for the core of these fish finders though, the technology aspect of it in terms of the hardware is not changing at least in what they are utilizing.

That said, I'm with you on the costs, with braid I use Falcon Lowriders and 7 year old Shimano Curados and catch just as many fish as the guy with the 700 dollar rod and reel. I ain't buyin it.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/24/17 03:10 PM

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/24/17 03:43 PM

$300 rods
$500 reels
$25 spool of line...

Not really, the last 5 years or so value rods and reels are hot. All kinds of companies putting out decent stuff at the sub 150 price point, dobyns savy line, lews, vertitas etc, basically every major player had value lines. Sure there are some that want 500 dollar rods but there are plenty of other options out there. With electronics if you want si/di GPS, map chips, etc. Really just the basic stuff that's been out for 8 years now I believe you are limited to a couple options and the companies pull stuff and keep bringing more expensive stuff to market, stuff that doesn't functionally do more. You either buy used or start fuguring out what you can live without like buying a lowrance hdi and living without si. I'll say again, I have a hds gen 1 8 at console and hds gen 2 8 on bow. I have si/di, maps, I split screens, GPS, etc. What is the game changing technology that warrants 5700 bucks for this over what I have? I don't see it.

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/24/17 04:29 PM

Wawi I agree. I am alao saying that the "look at me buyer" is a pretty strong force.

I just went to "outdated" gen 2 touches from 520's and HDI 7. I wanted touch capability and a bigger screen. These will take me down a long road.

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/24/17 04:35 PM

Wawi I agree. I am alao saying that the "look at me buyer" is a pretty strong force.

I just went to "outdated" gen 2 touches from 520's and HDI 7. I wanted touch capability and a bigger screen. These will take me down a long road.

The look at me buyer is massive clearly. I think the look at me buyer is part of the problem. A lot run buy this stuff instead of keeping their money in their pocket or credit card more likely (lol) and applying market force for real innovation and change. Then the consumer wins. Ie Nokia vs Apple etc. Right now we are just paying more for a different colored nokia, doesn't do more at the end of the day.

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/24/17 04:43 PM

The touch is really nice, I still don't think I got the 'value' out of the technology even buying used. But I will say the touch at the console makes things much easier. Waypoint naming etc is where it really shines.

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/24/17 07:50 PM

Still, and probably never will, understand the " 'x' company/industry is screwing us" folks...same as the "bass boats are way to expensive" folks. If you believe the technology isn't deserving of the price & the smaller, older units provide equivalent technology THEN DON'T BUY IT...get the less expensive one -- problem solved, you are no longer screwed. Hell, one could even argue that you're the savvy one that's screwing them then. If the top-of-line, premium 20-21 footer w/ poles & a 250 doesn't fit in your budget, stop complaining and get something in your price range. Since when is everybody entitled to the most expensive, top of line equipment just because they're engaged in the hobby?

You want to chunk your $5k-$10k at a fish finder(s), and you have the means? Great! I can't afford to do it, but I'm not going to bash you for doing it, or the company for providing the option.

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/24/17 08:08 PM

Why u mad bro?

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/24/17 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Joefishin
Why u mad bro?

Ha, 'cause I'm working (at least supposed to be) instead of fishing! grin
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/24/17 08:43 PM

LoOKs like EE has a 16" on his bow now.

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/24/17 08:53 PM

Still, and probably never will, understand the " 'x' company/industry is screwing us" folks...same as the "bass boats are way to expensive" folks. If you believe the technology isn't deserving of the price & the smaller, older units provide equivalent technology THEN DON'T BUY IT...get the less expensive one -- problem solved, you are no longer screwed. Hell, one could even argue that you're the savvy one that's screwing them then. If the top-of-line, premium 20-21 footer w/ poles & a 250 doesn't fit in your budget, stop complaining and get something in your price range. Since when is everybody entitled to the most expensive, top of line equipment just because they're engaged in the hobby?

You want to chunk your $5k-$10k at a fish finder(s), and you have the means? Great! I can't afford to do it, but I'm not going to bash you for doing it, or the company for providing the option.

Since I assume you are referring to me and my statement please accept my apology. I am a east Texas redneck by birth and unfortunately my vocabulary regresses. It is my feeling that the industry, lowrance specifically is doing a bad job of bringing compelling products to the market at a price point that reflects the technology. Screwing might be a strong word but I do believe they may consider a large portion of their consumers to be dummies. That's unfortunate. By the way I like my 520 with a 250 and power poles. Lol

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/24/17 10:00 PM

Since I assume you are referring to me and my statement please accept my apology. I am a east Texas redneck by birth and unfortunately my vocabulary regresses. It is my feeling that the industry, lowrance specifically is doing a bad job of bringing compelling products to the market at a price point that reflects the technology. Screwing might be a strong word but I do believe they may consider a large portion of their consumers to be dummies. That's unfortunate. By the way I like my 520 with a 250 and power poles. Lol

Nah, wasn't referring to anyone specific, bud. It just seems once a month there's a thread about how expensive all this gear is getting and how either we're (the consumers) or they (the producers) are stupid or ripping us off...I believe in the free market and that there's good options for everybody's budget/taste... Maybe I flew off the handle a bit, I can be a hot-head sometimes and make knee-jerk reactions. Sorry if you took offense personally. East Texas rednecks are my favorite kinds of peeps smile
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/25/17 01:24 PM

Raymarine is coming out out with a 60 " and it's so clear than you can tell what kind of fish it is. Can even see scales, only starts at 20k with sidescan, waiting for one
Posted By: Texasdeepv

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/25/17 11:55 PM

If you watched the weigh-in .... Skeet Reese was streaming the weigh-in on his fish finder. So the tech is there folks.

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/26/17 12:39 AM

Bluetooth is not new.

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/27/17 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Bluetooth is not new.

Bluetooth, USB, Solid State Hardrives, Touch Screens, Quad Core Processors, GPS, et. all. None of it is new, they just 'update' hardware and sell you these new units that have that functionality.

All I'm saying is the reality is that most of those changes are software. The only Hardware changes that they make is because they change their proprietary adapters. Realistically if they would standardize all their connections as USB and Bluetooth, they could offer one core piece of hardware and then everything is an accessory. You want a touchscreen, great it's an accessory upgrade for the new display and it plugs into your console/hardware via USB. You want to connect the front unit, add it to bluetooth, or run a standard ethernet cable. You want a new transducer, it's an accessory with a USB connection.

CHIRP is the latest in the long line of 'New' Units that are unnecessary. Sure you 'might' need a new transducer in some cases, but you absolutely do not need a new UNIT. CHIRP is almost 100% software, it's the ability to process frequencies and interpret the readings into on display. Instead of constantly shooting at 200khz, it will shoot at a range of frequencies. Yet every manufacture will sell you a new CHIRP unit and you can't use that technology in their older units. They will tell you it's because the newer units have faster processors and sure that is partially true. But if you remember my earlier post it's because they cheaped out on the processors for so long that they are behind. The NEWEST Lowrance in this thread is using a Dual Core processor, LOL your Iphone has a Dual Core and you guys with Androids are using Quad Cores and have been since 2015.

Most of the issue is that Humminbird, Lowrance and Garmin are making everything in their own proprietary way. Side Imaging has been the biggest addition in the last 5 or so years. Side Imaging has been around for decades with towable submersibles that connect into a..........get this...........Laptop........ The technology and ability is there, the incentive is still not for the Manufacturers. One of the smaller guys or Japanese tech companies is going to do just what I'm saying and force the majors to comply or get pushed aside. Their days are numbered and it's because they have been gouging us for so long.
Posted By: TX Cranker

Re: 16" Lowrance HDS Carbon - 03/28/17 02:31 AM

I'm still trying to get into an 8". haha
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum