Texas Fishing Forum

DROP SHOTTING LIZARDS AND LARGER PLASTIC

Posted By: toledo puma

DROP SHOTTING LIZARDS AND LARGER PLASTIC - 03/20/17 04:20 PM

I'm not really drop shotting but dragging like a C-rig. I would feel that others are doing the same thing or similar. It has worked very well. I think its just the idea that the bait is staying up off the bottom in front of the weight. I am using a 3/0 ewg hook rigging a lizard traditional style (weedless skin hooking the point), with a 12" to 18" leader above my drop shot weight. Which of you are doing something similar?
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: DROP SHOTTING LIZARDS AND LARGER PLASTIC - 03/21/17 12:54 AM

You know, I might not work it like a rig, but visualizing a lizard or B Hog wallowing around underneath a big lay down on a rig like this is messing with my imagination. What the heck, I might try dragging it too, just for the fun of it.
Posted By: NTXBankFishing

Re: DROP SHOTTING LIZARDS AND LARGER PLASTIC - 03/21/17 02:33 AM

I do it all the time, more of a power shot type rig, just an up scaled drop shot set up.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: DROP SHOTTING LIZARDS AND LARGER PLASTIC - 03/21/17 11:27 AM

I do it all the time at Roberts.. use a creature bait, heavy line and a big hook... pitch it into a brush pile or a tree and hang on
Posted By: Brad R

Re: DROP SHOTTING LIZARDS AND LARGER PLASTIC - 03/21/17 12:42 PM

Here, at around 15:00 on the video, Greg shows how he uses a drop shot to fish beds.

Drop Shot Version

And, one well known regional fisherman from the west coast was in a tournament several years ago and learned that he could drop shot and almost swim the bait back to the boat in a particular depth of the water column and fish were loving it.

Finally, isn't it Donald Harper, here on TFF, he may already have responded, who is a proponent of using a beefed up drop shot to flip/pitch/punch with? As I recall, he lets a large weight sort of "lead the way" with his plastic being pulled behind (instead of being led by a nose weight) and has great success getting it down to the fish.

It's really a very versatile technique isn't it?

Brad
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: DROP SHOTTING LIZARDS AND LARGER PLASTIC - 03/21/17 12:44 PM

I do that also with a super fluke. Every time I drop shot(with any type of bait) I try to see what works best, barely shaking or shaking quite a bit. I also drag it along until I bump something, then I shake it. All three presentations work, it just depends on how the fish want it that day.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum