Texas Fishing Forum

Warming and the Classic

Posted By: Fishspanker

Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 12:50 AM

The caught them pretty good in the Conroe Bass tournament. Possible someone catches 30#+ one day.

Posted By: the skipper

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 02:09 AM

Anything is possible but I'm thinking a 21 or 22lb average. So one high 20s and 17-19 to finish it off. Of course I have never even been on Conroe so I really don't know
Posted By: BoomBoom

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 02:19 AM

Fishspanker, do you know that third place team very well??? laugh

I was on the lake today and talked to a few of the pros. Some of them couldn't believe how rough it was. Friday should be ok for pleasure craft, but Saturday and Sunday is going to be bad.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 02:25 AM

All them Regan boys know how to fish!

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: BoomBoom
Fishspanker, do you know that third place team very well??? laugh

I was on the lake today and talked to a few of the pros. Some of them couldn't believe how rough it was. Friday should be ok for pleasure craft, but Saturday and Sunday is going to be bad.

Never heard of them......lol.

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 10:37 AM

Originally Posted By: the skipper
Anything is possible but I'm thinking a 21 or 22lb average. So one high 20s and 17-19 to finish it off. Of course I have never even been on Conroe so I really don't know

Sounds reasonable. The 3 day 5 fish 69-11 by KVD is likely safe. Lake should fish smaller each day. It's one thing to catch a mid to upper 20# bag in a one day tournament. Three days it gets tougher every day. My guess would be 62-8 to win.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 12:09 PM

Yea they are in for a real treat over the weekend.

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: E5Zero

Yea they are in for a real treat over the weekend.

They are used to it. Lots of rough water for them in their typical season. Conroe is like a washing machine especially south of 1097 bridge where it's mostly bulk headed.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishspanker
Originally Posted By: the skipper

Sounds reasonable. The 3 day 5 fish 69-11 by KVD is likely safe. Lake should fish smaller each day. It's one thing to catch a mid to upper 20# bag in a one day tournament. Three days it gets tougher every day. My guess would be 62-8 to win.

I was up there this weekend. Had dinner with a few of the pros Saturday night. Their consensus on weight was right in line with yours.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 02:07 PM

Saturday and Sunday are gonna be a zoo out on the water. The jet skiers and pleasure boaters will be out in full force with the temps in the 80's. Was just down at the marina here in 7 Coves and the wind and waves have already started this morning.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 02:18 PM

58-60 LBS may just win it.

When Conroe was announced as the venue last year and scheduled for the end of March, I think we all saw a possible 75-80 lb weight being caught and records being broke. Like she always does, mother nature had her own ideas and put things in fast forward this spring.

The most interesting thing to me is gonna be where these guys take off to Friday morning and what percentage of the field is south/north of 1097. I gotta think most will be on a post spawn pattern, but you know there will be guys targeting what is probably the last major wave of spawning fish, and even some sight fishing. Cant wait til Friday.
Posted By: Walls

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 02:18 PM

Was out there for awhile yesterday 11-2 running my new boat a bit. Only saw two pros south of 1097 and yes, it was like a freeway down there. Big boats everywhere and jet skis in between. Best thing they can hope for is poor weather- kids on wakeboards don't like rain. It'll be fine though as I bet 90% of the pros will be North of 1097 most of the time.

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 02:38 PM

The jet fleas and wake boats were hitting some of the coves on the west side of the lake, north of 1097. I wish they would have tried Peach Creek. laugh
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 02:39 PM

Those Elite guys sandbag about as well as they fish.
Posted By: mwbmod74

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 03:11 PM

Conroe gets rougher than most realize due to its size, but they may get an education soon.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 03:17 PM

No way Conroe is rougher than what they face up north when they fish up there.

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 03:27 PM

The weather those guys face up north, like at Erie, will cancel events in extreme cases or eliminate more than half the field who don't want make those long runs in huge swells.

Conroe is a completely different animal. The waves, rollers and chop have no constant direction like up north. That water moves N-S-E-W all day regardless of the wind. It's very rough on weekends even when the wind doesn't blow. Everyone knows it's because of the bulkheads, wave setters, jet skis, GIANT cruisers and go fast boats. It won't stop the event and pros will be able to run anywhere they choose. But it is bone jarring and equipment damaging rough on the south end. Like most of us, I've been in some pretty rough water and giant swells. Driving a bass boat on Conroe at higher speeds hurts as bad as anywhere I've ever fished.

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
The weather those guys face up north, like at Erie, will cancel events in extreme cases or eliminate more than half the field who don't want make those long runs in huge swells.

Conroe is a completely different animal. The waves, rollers and chop have no constant direction like up north. That water moves N-S-E-W all day regardless of the wind. It's very rough on weekends even when the wind doesn't blow. Everyone knows it's because of the bulkheads, wave setters, jet skis, GIANT cruisers and go fast boats. It won't stop the event and pros will be able to run anywhere they choose. But it is bone jarring and equipment damaging rough on the south end. Like most of us, I've been in some pretty rough water and giant swells. Driving a bass boat on Conroe at higher speeds hurts as bad as anywhere I've ever fished.

Totally agree.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 04:15 PM

Fouz hit the nail on the head. There are certain areas that will make you swear the wind is howling at 25-30 on the calmest of days because of the bulkhead effect. The "ramdomness" of the waves will dissolve the hardest of kidney stones. Like he said, it wont keep the guys from getting where they want to go, but it will loosen a few screws and battery straps.
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

Totally agree.

I third this. It's one thing to have giant waves that are in one direction. It's another when big waves crash into each other from all directions, and you have to navigate through it. Your boat gets thrown all over the place no matter how you try to drive. It's going to be ridiculous out there.

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 06:13 PM

Yes it is. The folks pulling their boats down here to "spectate" are in for a rude awakening. Especially if they're trying to be in Comb's floatilla and KVD's floatilla meets them from port or starboard. Keith and Kevin will be fine, but I can see their "comet tails" creating a very dangerous situation for themselves and everyone else on the lake.

This would definitely be a venue to leave your boat at home. Watch it all weekend on bassmaster live, go to the expo and weigh-ins or do something else fun. I'll promise you trying to spectate in this Classic is going to cause a HUGE mess and you won't enjoy it!
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/20/17 06:16 PM

That's my thinking. Stay off the lake people.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/21/17 01:38 AM

Pretty big shad spawn in the Walden Marina, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Not near as big this morning. The crappie we cleaned Saturday and today were full of 3" shad.
Posted By: kcb

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/21/17 03:52 AM

Don't know if I read this right? Saw on a thread earlier that the minimum length on largemouth for The Classic was 16". Is that true?
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/21/17 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By: kcb
Don't know if I read this right? Saw on a thread earlier that the minimum length on largemouth for The Classic was 16". Is that true?

That's the lake minimum, so yes.
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/21/17 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By: kcb

That is the TPWD size limit on Conroe for LMB
Posted By: KingChamp202

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/21/17 05:40 AM

Its gonna be a Zoo for sure. Ill be assisting media/web so at least I can say I was there lol. Looking fwd to the final weigh inn. Somebody is gonna hit it just right!
Posted By: KingChamp202

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/21/17 05:41 AM

16", Is the min length to put it in the livewell!
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/21/17 05:46 AM

Originally Posted By: KingChamp202
Its gonna be a Zoo for sure. Ill be assisting media/web so at least I can say I was there lol. Looking fwd to the final weigh inn. Somebody is gonna hit it just right!

I just glanced at the forecast. Looks like Friday they may be wet...100% chance of rain as of right now. But Saturday and Sunday is looking better weather wise, but that means it'll be wakeboard and pleasure boat hell grin

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/21/17 10:23 AM

Back on the fish.

On the Conroe Bass this past Sunday only 19 of the 58 Teams had a limit. That tournament is safe light to 3pm. I think in the Classic that you will see a few smack them and some want to curse the lake. The 16" limit will come into play. You can catch a lot of fish that are 15 to 15 3/4. Each day a certain number in the field will not have a limit.

Also multiple days makes it much harder. Most tournaments on the lake are single day. A few of the Championships are two days. They aren't going to get on a spot this time of year where they can win it off of. They will need multiple areas for multiple days. Look for a couple to smack them on day one and not be able to back it up.

I think the winner will be in the high 20# range on day one, about 20# on day two and finish with about 18# on day three. Guessing the winner at 62.8#.

Lake will fish real small by day 3.

However the lake does have a bunch of solid fish in it. Lots of 6# plus fish. Its possible to bust a 30#+ limit. You see them in some tournament especially in the spring.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Warming and the Classic - 03/21/17 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: KingChamp202
16", Is the min length to put it in the livewell!

I like that rule
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum