Texas Fishing Forum

54 .62on 5 bass

Posted By: Bruce Allen

54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 12:11 AM

Yes about the Mega Bass again. 12.35, 12.22, 10.97, 9.96, and 9.12 plus two more overs. Only two had red tails.
All five had to be fizzed.

And with all of those overs in 7 hourly segments how did that 2.60 slip in there at the end and win the $15,000?

Because Alex's fish was a 1/16" short? So close.

What a day for big fish.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 12:39 AM

there is no other lake like Lake Fork, period. its amazing
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

put 1800 fisherman on Falcon and see what happens...
Posted By: B-rader

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 12:48 AM

^ put that many people on several lakes , same results , please keep it there though

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 12:52 AM

[quote=Brad Hardt]^ put that many people on several lakes , same results , please keep it there though[. Without a doubt, just hearing about the pressure has stopped me from going there. Just doesn't sound like a noce day out on the water
Posted By: DevinJoe

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 04:53 AM

Don't understand why people have to talk [censored] and be negative. Yea sure your lake might be better. But ours ain't bad. Stfu
Posted By: LunkerXpress

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 10:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Jobie99
Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

put 1800 fisherman on Falcon and see what happens...

I don't remember Falcon cranking out 110 pounds in three days when the Elites were there...
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 11:32 AM

1800 boats. 2 men per boat. 8 hours. 3 fish over 10lbs. That's roughly 10,000 fishing hours per DD bass. Playing the math out... We know from published national data, the average bass fisherman gets to hit the water 16 time per year. Assuming each trip is 8 hours, on average it would take him 78 years to catch a DD. Making matters worse, the average guys annual fishing hours are spread out across the year. All these tournament hours above occurred during the peak big fish month of March.

Just goes to show you how rare these big fish are. Congrats the gents who caught them!
Posted By: Dubee

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 11:36 AM

1800 entries not 2 man teams
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
1800 boats..Just goes to show you how rare these big fish are. Congrats the gents who caught them!

A lady caught the 10.97...
Posted By: Alex Finch

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen
Yes about the Mega Bass again. 12.35, 12.22, 10.97, 9.96, and 9.12 plus two more overs. Only two had red tails.

And with all of those overs in 7 hourly segments how did that 2.60 slip in there at the end and win the $15,000?

What a day for big fish.

I appreciate your help, Bruce, and Mike's help and everything the LFSA does to support the lake.

That was a tough call, but in the end, I will have no regrets about releasing that fish instead of trying to push it through to win the last hour. We measured her twice on the water, once when we caught her and once after she settled down. As conservative as I am about measurements, I thought we had a good chance of getting that fish to measure when we carried her in. But I've been playing the game out there long enough to know that you need to take a few precautions when you go to weigh-in with a close one. Once I compared my board to the tournament board, I realized that it probably wasn't going to happen and after seeing it not touch on another board, my understanding of the rules/law were that it had to be released. I know we released it in good hands.

Fun day overall. We caught a bunch of solid fish, including that 9 and to top this great weekend off, my little boy caught one a little over 8 on his own when we were checking areas out pre-tournament.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: DevinJoe
Don't understand why people have to talk [censored] and be negative. Yea sure your lake might be better. But ours ain't bad. Stfu

nice! just what the doctor ordered this morning.
Posted By: FSWITX

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 02:23 PM

Fork is an awesome lake, my son and I fish it several times a year and get our butts kicked some times, but if your staying away from Fork because of ALL the fishing pressure, your missing out on a great fishery. This lake may not produce like it did 15 years ago, but the sport of Bass fishing has grown tremendously. Put it on your bucket list.

Falcon and/or Amistad would be a great place to host a tournament like the Mega Bass, just not sure if folks would travel that far South, would be a lot of fun.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Dubee
1800 entries not 2 man teams

didn't realize that. Cut the number in half, still nearly 40 years!

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 02:47 PM

Well now that I've been told to stfu I think it's worth defending myself. My response was merely a retort to someone saying lake Fork was the best lake around. I didn't say it sucked, because I really wouldn't know. I did say is didn't want to go there based on the amount of pressure I hear about and that goes for any lake in the country.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 05:13 PM

People get butt hurt to easy nowadays. Texas has many great lakes and Fork is one of them. Be proud of the fact that you can fish in Texas and not anywhere else.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 05:20 PM

I fished it and the lake didn't seem crowded at all. In fact for the first hour and a half we had an entire stretch of a main creek to ourself. I think if it was a more typical winter there would've been more overs. Lots of fry and post spawners in areas
Posted By: TxFisherman03

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 05:34 PM

Even with all the pressure Fork gets, it continues to produce quality fish. Not saying any other lake wouldn't challenge it, but Fork has proven itself over and over and over.
Posted By: SkeeterEater

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
1800 boats. 2 men per boat. 8 hours. 3 fish over 10lbs. That's roughly 10,000 fishing hours per DD bass. Playing the math out... We know from published national data, the average bass fisherman gets to hit the water 16 time per year. Assuming each trip is 8 hours, on average it would take him 78 years to catch a DD. Making matters worse, the average guys annual fishing hours are spread out across the year. All these tournament hours above occurred during the peak big fish month of March.

Just goes to show you how rare these big fish are. Congrats the gents who caught them!

Just to clarify your numbers... 1800 entries not boats.

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 06:06 PM

Plus you can't continue to compare fork to lakes where alot of fish are kept. Fork nearly every fish between 3lbs and 8lbs is protected. Take a lake like Toledo where studies show 70% of keepers are kept. It has an impact on the fishery.
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Alex Finch

What a day for big fish.

I appreciate your help, Bruce, and Mike's help and everything the LFSA does to support the lake.

That was a tough call, but in the end, I will have no regrets about releasing that fish instead of trying to push it through to win the last hour. We measured her twice on the water, once when we caught her and once after she settled down. As conservative as I am about measurements, I thought we had a good chance of getting that fish to measure when we carried her in. But I've been playing the game out there long enough to know that you need to take a few precautions when you go to weigh-in with a close one. Once I compared my board to the tournament board, I realized that it probably wasn't going to happen and after seeing it not touch on another board, my understanding of the rules/law were that it had to be released. I know we released it in good hands.

Fun day overall. We caught a bunch of solid fish, including that 9 and to top this great weekend off, my little boy caught one a little over 8 on his own when we were checking areas out pre-tournament.

1+ I had one just like that... she went back in the lake no cash for me!
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Plus you can't continue to compare fork to lakes where alot of fish are kept. Fork nearly every fish between 3lbs and 8lbs is protected. Take a lake like Toledo where studies show 70% of keepers are kept. It has an impact on the fishery.

and they still kick out big sacks and 10lbers

Maybe some smaller fish needs to be taken from fork so grandma want have such a hard time to eat or just eat leftovers.

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 09:53 PM

"did" kick out great bags. This weekend the oilmans took 12lbs to get a check for 2 days. It's headed downhill fast
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 10:23 PM

"did" kick out great bags. This weekend the oilmans took 12lbs to get a check for 2 days. It's headed downhill fast

You may keep this in mind on the sacks. A few years ago you couldn't fine a two pounder or smaller now after a few years of really good spawns their is a lot of smaller fish which makes it harder to get those bigger under's to make the bigger sacks. I think Fork has been down for a fews years but with the good spawns we should be getting back after another few years when they grow up.
Posted By: JCHANDLER

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 10:29 PM

bang

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/20/17 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix

You may keep this in mind on the sacks. A few years ago you couldn't fine a two pounder or smaller now after a few years of really good spawns their is a lot of smaller fish which makes it harder to get those bigger under's to make the bigger sacks. I think Fork has been down for a fews years but with the good spawns we should be getting back after another few years when they grow up.

I was referring to Toledo
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/21/17 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix

I was referring to Toledo

Sorry I miss read but Toledo will all its area and river fed will always come back, to much area to grow grass and big fish.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/21/17 05:12 PM

Alex it is wonderful that your young son caught a quality bass. His Dad must be a good instructor!

We did have 4 dead fish, 2 from TX Trails on Saturday and 2 from Mega Bass. All were eaten.
Posted By: Alex Finch

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/21/17 05:23 PM

Alex it is wonderful that your young son caught a quality bass. His Dad must be a good instructor!

We did have 4 dead fish, 2 from TX Trails on Saturday and 2 from Mega Bass. All were eaten.

Yes, his mom! roflmao He's 5 1/2 and loves to go fishing. Unfortunately, he wants to eat them all and is disappointed that we release them all. He's going to be a force when he gets a little older. I wish I'd had the opportunity to get out on lakes like Fork when I was his age. That was the hay day out there, from what I've read.
Posted By: ThatOneBigKid

Re: 54 .62on 5 bass - 03/21/17 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: coachallentca

People get butt hurt to easy nowadays. Texas has many great lakes and Fork is one of them. Be proud of the fact that you can fish in Texas and not anywhere else.

Exactly this. Being from Minnesota I would love to live in Texas where I could fish for trophy bass year round on a good number of lights out lakes. I still have 60 days up here until it's even legal to target bass. I'll be on Fork the first week of April, but I would love it to be any of Texas' trophy lakes. No point for all the negativity.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum