Texas Fishing Forum

Aluminium bass boats?

Posted By: Mr.Burkham

Aluminium bass boats? - 03/17/17 07:42 PM

I am considering upgrading boats and would like some opinions and yall's shared experiences with aluminum boats. I have fished out of an 18' x press catfish series the last several years and love it. My complaints with it is how rough it is going across the lake. The other thing is it doesn't have carpet, which has always been ok for me until now. I reckon I'm just getting old. I tend to fish heavy cover (stumps, and skinny water) so I don't want a fiberglass boat. Just some thoughts on what you guys are fishing and any pros and cons that you have with your rigs. Thanks.
Posted By: Undertaker56

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/17/17 08:14 PM

I love my basstracker works just fine for me. I can think of no cons...
Posted By: Drummond1

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/17/17 08:19 PM

I have a basstracker ProTeam 175, love it, great boat however.... if the wind is blowing at 10mph you are being pushed across the lake at 9 mph. I put on 2 Talons that help with the situation but... if the water is choppy and the back of the boat is bouncing it still moves you around. I just wish it was heavier. (I fill the livewells for the extra weight, that helps) I almost bought a Nitro Z7 but it wouldn't quite fit in my garage.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/17/17 08:27 PM

Aluminum catches the wind like none other but if you're not a deep water/main lake kind of guy I'm sure an aluminum boat would fit the bill.
Posted By: Zebco1961

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/17/17 08:39 PM

I fish two tourneys a month. Local club and Media. Really like my 2002 Alumacraft 195 Invader. Mercury 150. Very nice fishing platform. 60mph with myself and all gear. Minn Kota 80# with 60" shaft. Yes wind can blow them around. Get biggest troll motor you can afford. Talons if you can afford. Get the biggest motor rated for hull ( that you can afford). Any questions feel free.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/17/17 08:45 PM

Posted By: x19dm

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/17/17 09:06 PM

I have an Xpress X19 that I have had since 2004. Been a great boat and has held up well. Doesn't have the fit and finish of fiberglass boats but it has served me well. As others mentioned it will blow in the wind but I don't even notice it that bad anymore until I get in a fiberglass and step up to run the trolling motor. I do fish offshore and put a Motorguide Xi5 on it and that sure made offshore fishing a pleasure. Only issue I have had in rough water is I have to stay on the front to keep the trolling motor in the water.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/17/17 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishinfellow
Aluminum catches the wind like none other but if you're not a deep water/main lake kind of guy I'm sure an aluminum boat would fit the bill.

^^^ Here's the deal:
Bass are a shallow water fish. There are ALWAYS some bass shallow.
And....there are days when the wind does not blow.

I've fished em all. Big fiberglass down to a buster boat or canoe.
Aluminum costs less to start with, is lighter (this time of year that means shallow draft / shallow water), trailers great, uses less fuel trailering, is a WHOLE lot less maintenance then fiberglass, pushes easier with less horses - i.e. better gas efficiency, and NEVER suffers from gel coat related issues (there are many as boats age).

It's true, if you plan to fish Rayburn or Texoma on windy days - forget tin boats.
If you want ease of use, trailering, loading / unloading, maintenance and start up cost.............might wanna look at aluminum.
Bass fishing doesn't have to be complicated but it should be easy to enjoy.
Posted By: Undertaker56

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/17/17 09:26 PM

You are correct sir!!!
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/17/17 11:45 PM

If I was going to go Aluminum, I'd be looking at a Lund boat. Has all the features and size of a big fiberglass boat plus a lifetime warranty on the hull.

http://www.lundboats.com/boat-models/2075-pro-v-bass/
Posted By: etexbasser

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/18/17 12:04 AM

I fish a triton 18cTX with a 115 merc 4stroke. It is one of the new aluminum boats that triton and ranger came out with a few years ago. I am still impressed with the way it handles the rough water and the way it fishes, very stable for an aluminum boat. Look into them, I think you will be very pleased. The size of the trolling motor is important also, I have a 24 volt 74 pound minn kota and it does very good.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/18/17 12:23 AM

John Cox is making a good living out of the tin-can
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/18/17 02:56 AM

Also, the Minn Kota Ultrex is making the wind a non-factor basically. Get one and the biggest "issue" with tin goes away.
Posted By: Kemo Sabe

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/18/17 06:48 AM

Reeltexan had it right. Aluminum will do it all. I've had many. I've also had fiberglass. If your crossing open water on a windy day even a 21' high dollar heavy fiberglass boat will beat you up. A well built, all-welded, mod V aluminum boat is the way to go.
Posted By: Texasdeepv

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/18/17 07:33 AM

Belton Lake was windy yesterday and my boat got pushed around alot. Anchor mode on my xi5 may help pin the front of the boat down but the back end kind of acts like the tail end of a windmill. back and forth.....
I really like my Lund but the wind kicks it in the balls. Where it performs the best is white capped 2-3 footers wont affect it one bit getting from point A to B.

btw.... who ever was out on Belton yesterday (heading into owl creek area) with the 12ft flat bottom.... much respect your way, you sir, are a savage. smile
Posted By: wagonwheel

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/18/17 11:57 AM

Every boat has it's limits, as does the person operating the boat. Know your limits. I have seen plenty of times me and my little aluminum boat fishing in the wind while the guys with the larger fiberglass boats are hiding in the protected areas. I also take my aluminum boat into the stumps and never worry about getting it scratched. I wouldn't have anything but an aluminum boat. I have been looking to get something a little larger than I have now, perhaps a G3.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/18/17 12:23 PM

Aluminum boats tend to get stuck on stumps, fiberglass tend to slide off

That was what I noticed the most
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/18/17 12:24 PM

Call me tin man..I just upgraded from a bass style flat bottom to a deep V style tin boat...I was initially worried I wouldn't be able to fish my shallow, stump infested creeks, coves, etc...imagine my surprise, to find out all I had to do to fish those waters was pick up the trolling motor to get to them...Just like I did, with a two foot shorter flat bottom...

The greatest surprise was crossing the lake in 20 mph wind, with a very nice ride, and not getting soaking wet!
Guess I can sell my beloved flatty now...

Max HP motor is a real good thing on a tin boat...and still fuel friendly...
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/18/17 12:29 PM

IF and that's a big IF you can find a Tracker Avalanche, It would probably be close to what you are looking for. These aluminum battleships are not longer made but were one of the best mass production aluminum boats ever. Mine is the 18DC with a 150efi Merc. It will run 61mph with one person and 3/4 tank of gas. It's layout on top is nearly identical to a Nitro 2000 series.
[img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics..._40980844633943[/img]

Tracker stopped making this boat in 2008 and they are rare and hard to find now. These tubs were made from a full .125" thick aluminum with a form molded hull and are a heavy boat. 96" beam and will take rough water real good. They will also fish very shallow.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/18/17 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: crapicat
Call me tin man..I just upgraded from a bass style flat bottom to a deep V style tin boat...I was initially worried I wouldn't be able to fish my shallow, stump infested creeks, coves, etc...imagine my surprise, to find out all I had to do to fish those waters was pick up the trolling motor to get to them...Just like I did, with a two foot shorter flat bottom...

The greatest surprise was crossing the lake in 20 mph wind, with a very nice ride, and not getting soaking wet!
Guess I can sell my beloved flatty now...

Max HP motor is a real good thing on a tin boat...and still fuel friendly...
Good points. People think "flat bottom" when thinking "skinny water fishing". When your boat is really small(10'-12') you benefit from the flat bottom with stability. Negative is nothing gets stuck on stumps like a flat bottom especially with the multiple ribbed keels going down the bottom. Unless boat is real small get a V or semi-V bottom. It will hang way less, ride 1000% smoother and float in only 1"-2" less shallow water.
Posted By: perrypogue

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/18/17 12:55 PM

I've got an Alumacraft MV1650 that I bought from Rockwall Marine. I love the boat and I'll tell you my reasons for getting this particular design. First, it's lots less expensive than many mentioned above. Mine cost about $13,000 with a new 30 horse motor. I went to a carpet store and found a good buy and found someone to glue it in. That made it as quiet as a fiberglass boat. Then I used a local welder and he made a strong durable platform for the seat on the very stable front deck. I've added a couple of 70 lb sand bags and placed them under the front deck. Without the weight up front plus driving the boat from the back you would find this kind of boat very rough riding. I added a foot operated trolling motor. I'm strictly catch and release but would use a large ice chest if I was still tournament fishing. This boat has a little over 6' length of totally open space in the bottom of the boat. I enjoy being able to stretch out in the bottom when I want to take a break. This boat is very sea worthy .. but not fast. JMO of course so good luck.
Posted By: MDM

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/18/17 05:26 PM

The number one thing you can do to improve the fishability of an aluminum rig is to go with a trolling motor such as a Motorguide Xi5 or the new Minnkota Ultrex. Have used the Xi5 on my 17.5' aluminum rig since they came out in 2014 and really like the way it keeps the boat under control on the windy days that used to be such a pain. Will probably put the MG or MK on the big boat in the next 12 months. Like the mount on the MK better but want to let them get the bugs out before trying one.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/18/17 07:51 PM

I run a TV-18. its a little old and ugly but is a great fishing platform that handles rough water very well. 80lb. MG and 115 Merc. the only time ive ever been stuck on a stump with it was when RedRanger was driving it... I fish it in some knarly places.
Posted By: Mr.Burkham

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/18/17 08:11 PM

Thanks guys for all the feedback. Is anyone fishing the new Ranger aluminum rigs?
Posted By: Rodney2100

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/18/17 08:44 PM

I switched to aluminum 1.5 years ago and never looked back. Take a look at Gator Trax strike series boats. You pick the length you want and you get to design the entire boat the way you want it. From the console to the decks and storage..everything is your decision. I have a 2072 with a 225 pro xs on it. It's a heavy boat but it is built like a tank
Posted By: DJB

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/18/17 10:31 PM

Mr Buckman, Check out the Triton aluminum. It comes from the same factory as the Ranger,and a it's a few dollars cheaper. I've had a few tin boats and they do have limitations but a good trolling motor is a must. JMO
Posted By: David Gillham

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/19/17 04:23 PM

I've always had a 20' fiberglass boat and a smaller aluminum rig. Decided to simplify and after a lot of research chose a Gator Trax aluminum boat. Our lakes are brutal on fiberglass. Gator Trax uses 3/16" (.1875) aluminum which is almost double the thickness of the most other aluminum boats (.100) This makes a huge difference in how it rides in rougher water and it's nearly impossible to dent when hitting and riding over wood. Aluminum boats using .100 will have dents everywhere if your idling around wood. Gator Trax will make it to whatever length you want. I'll be posting pics and more info later this week.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/19/17 05:49 PM

I had a Tracker 175 for ten years and it did just fine. Upgraded to the 190 and I run it all over Amistad and Falcon with no problems, wind or no wind. Like they say, know your limits. I like the tin, I can scratch it, bump it, and get into places my buddies won't take their fiberglass. Loaded with gear, gas, and two big boys it will run 50mph (Merc 115) and thats plenty fast enough to get us where we need to be.
Posted By: gatoreyes

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/19/17 07:16 PM

I've had two Tracker TX175's and recently purchased a Ranger RT188. The benefits for me are economics and ease of operation (store, launch, clean). I've been very satisfied with all three. Wind can be an issue and a strong trolling motor is important.
Posted By: MarcM64

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/20/17 12:05 AM

I have a Ranger 188 if thats what your asking... Love the way it fishes and the wind does'nt blow it around like an Xpress! It is a little flat on the bottom. I fish Palestine alot and it will get hung on stumps, but not much different than any other boat! A couple of times, I have had to crank the big motor up and just motor off of them! There are pro's and cons, but it does great for me! I would buy another one if I had the choice! My fishing partner sold his 20ft Triton and bought the Triton aluminum. The only difference between mine and his is he got the 115 ProXS 4 stroke that will run circles around mine with a regular Merc 4 stroke! Pm me if you have any other questions!
Posted By: Pine Mills Tracker

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/20/17 04:17 PM

I have a 2008 Tracker 175. The Tracker works well and I catch as many fish in it as I did my
Skeeter. Just finished fishing the past week in it and the wind was 10-15mph. The wind can be an issue, so I would upgrade to a larger trolling motor vs what it is usually factory installed and get the highest rated outboard hp that you can. I'm using a 75 lb thrust trolling motor that I installed.
I have started using a wind sock on windy days to slow my drift and that has allowed me more fishing time vs fight the trolling motor. They are very affordable. Good Luck.
Posted By: tin man 55

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/20/17 05:37 PM

i have a Ranger RT188. like PineMills said, I catch as many or more fish in it as I did in my big skeeter. runs easily over 45 with a 115 mercury. just installed an ultrex on it, so now it's easy to beat the wind. I fish about half the time on Fork, and the other half launching off the bank in small ponds. equally at home in either situation. now, would I run wide open on a big lake with 30 mph winds - probably not. on windy days, just to be careful, you might need to pick a ramp that is near where you want to fish. overall, very satisfied with my boat.
Posted By: superfrog

Re: Aluminium bass boats? - 03/22/17 02:05 AM

I have a 176XT Stratos year 2008. It's a very light FB boat with a 70 HP Yamaha 2 stroke. It's got plenty of storage and a good attitude for bigger water. I fish Buchanan often and get caught in a blow now and then. Never felt unsafe, but will get wet. I mounted a micro power pole and it holds the boat just fine in 6ft. The best part is how it just sips gas! The best testament to the boat is that Stratos has been making this model with few changes for more than 10 years.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum