Texas Fishing Forum

Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait?

Posted By: Spencer J.

Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 03:15 AM

I hooked three good fish today and two of the three threw my chatterbait at the boat. Does anyone recommend using a trailer hook on the back of a chatterbait? Any other suggestions on how to improve the hook set when using a chatterbait?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 03:45 AM

Tried it once, didn't work very well. The fish I have caught on a chatterbait have all come when I wait until I feel them on the other end before I set the hook!
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 03:57 AM

I would never fish a spinnerbait or chatterbait in a tournament without a trailer hook.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 05:06 AM

No.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 08:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Razorback
I would never fish a spinnerbait or chatterbait in a tournament without a trailer hook.

I am the opposite, I like to throw into wood and debris especially with a SB
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 12:02 PM

No those suckers hang up badly enough without a trailer hook.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 12:08 PM

Don't but might if I was getting short-struck.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 12:12 PM

I hang them up enough as it is, never used a trailer hook
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 12:14 PM

Depends on the junk you are throwing it in. I've used them before with some success. 90% of the time I don't add one though.
Posted By: Kiss88

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 12:19 PM

No, never! Maybe try changing color or retrieval speed and see if it changes the short strike.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 12:34 PM

I do not
Posted By: Troyz

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 12:40 PM

Not a fan of trailer hooks. Seems to me they have always been more trouble than they are worth. Get hung up too much with them.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 12:43 PM

Trim your skirt down and use a smaller swim bait (if you are using a trailer). You can also bend out your hook slightly.

As someone above stated, wait til you feel the weight of the fish fully before setting the hook. Also...what rod/line/reel setup are you using? You could have an issue there. I recommend a MH rod with 15-17lb flouro and a 6 or 7 speed reel
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: musiclife_7
Trim your skirt down and use a smaller swim bait (if you are using a trailer). You can also bend out your hook slightly.

As someone above stated, wait til you feel the weight of the fish fully before setting the hook. Also...what rod/line/reel setup are you using? You could have an issue there. I recommend a MH rod with 15-17lb flouro and a 6 or 7 speed reel
This. I bet if you look at your bait the hook is turned slightly downward. Bend the hook so it is pointing slightly above level.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Yes they do!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 01:27 PM

Which chatterbait are you using? High quality hook, soft rod and braid I rarely lose fish anymore
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 01:51 PM

Never
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 01:54 PM

I don't with a chatterbait. But tend to use a smaller soft plastic trailer and shorten the skirt some. I use a Med Heavy rod that I thnk is more "Med" so it gives a lot when they hit almost like a crankbait rod allowing them to get it. Most fish I get on the chatterbait are hooked solid.

I do always use a trailer hook on a spinnerbait though! Has helped me more times than I can count!
Posted By: Spencer J.

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 03:06 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I'll try bending my hook upward a little. I'm using a 7ft MH Veritos with 12lb fluoro. I'm setting the hook in a more sweeping action...should I be setting straight up instead?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 03:15 PM

I've fished chatterbaits with several different guides on Lake Fork. Some recommend a more vertical hookset and some a more sweeping action; and I've seen very little difference if any; but I like to set the hook vertically when I can with single open hook presentations (I have more confidence the hook will penetrate the roof of the mouth or upper jaw instead of sideways in the lateral lip)

I've tried both trailer hooks and stinger hooks with chatterbaits and didn't like either.

Agree with the braid recommendations; or braid to copoly for a little more give.
Posted By: SilverTR20

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 03:23 PM

Never.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Exactly...I catch more stumps with a chatterbait than I do fish.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Spencer J.
Thanks for all the advice. I'll try bending my hook upward a little. I'm using a 7ft MH Veritos with 12lb fluoro. I'm setting the hook in a more sweeping action...should I be setting straight up instead?

I am going to start using a vertical hookset, this last weekend I got a decent fish on a chatterbait with a sweep, and noticed the hook laid down. I did get him in the skin inside his mouth, but not a high probability of success for the future. I will try more vertical to see if I can get a solid hook-up through the mouth/jaw next time!
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 04:26 PM

I don't, in my experience if they are biting a CB they inhale it, never had problems missing fish with one.
Posted By: FACSR

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 04:41 PM

only if I'm fishing for money
Posted By: texastom

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 05:04 PM

I DO NOT.
Posted By: Statton48

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 05:59 PM

Nope
Posted By: B3AR

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 07:48 PM

Hey spencer, I was having the same problem with chatterbaits years ago. I throw mine on a 7 foot composite rod with 20 pound mono now. It was hard for me to always wait for the fish to load up, due to the fact that I like throwing the chatterbait around cover. I haven't lost a fish on a chatterbait since I made the switch.
Posted By: Worm Dunk

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/16/17 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
No.

This
Posted By: Slefler

Re: Do you use a trailer hook on your chatterbait? - 03/17/17 12:17 AM

Nope, most videos i have seen of guys throwing swimbaits as a trailer like a Keitech use a big one like a 4.8 or 3.8 but I only use a 3.3 to make sure if they hit it there's a good chance they'll get the hook as well. No trailer hook for me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum