Texas Fishing Forum

Worst you've been hooked?

Posted By: NTXBankFishing

Worst you've been hooked? - 03/14/17 10:33 PM

Got hooked pretty good the other day..

Warning! There is bad language in the video, please forgive me.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/14/17 10:45 PM

Man. Don't know if I can get that out or not. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/14/17 11:06 PM

Geeeeezzzzzz!!!!!! That hurt just watching it!!!!

Cutting your hand off probably would have been less painful!

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/15/17 12:24 AM

It was either that or go to the hospital and I'd rather use the money to pay for more fishing stuff
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/15/17 12:37 AM

Man I bet that hurt like heck, thanks for sharing. Rather use money to buy more fishing stuff like barbless hooks? lol
Posted By: cat-aholic

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/15/17 01:47 AM

Man my hand was hurting just by watching the video ,hardcore fisherman right there man
Posted By: CrankBait1007

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/15/17 01:53 AM

Die hard angler shocked
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/15/17 02:23 AM

More fishing stuff like pliers...?
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/15/17 03:08 AM

I think I found my twin. Likes to fish, cusses like me and too cheap to go to the Dr.

cheers
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/15/17 03:13 AM

Pliers and fingerless gloves ma' man......pliers and fingerless gloves.

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/15/17 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Im RICK JAMES
More fishing stuff like pliers...?

Ha I left my pliers and split ring pliers at the house because I had just put new hooks on it and forgot to put em back in the bag. FYI owner hooks are pretty sharp, but that's the second in a week that I've had break off in a fish like that.
Posted By: TX Basser

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/15/17 08:02 AM

This is a picture of me getting a hook cut out of my hand by Chris Zaldain at a BASS Open event at Table Rock Lake. Lots of fun!!! Picture taken by a BASS Photographer and displayed on the bassmaster web site. How embarrassing at the time!!

Wouldn't want to have the same experience as the OP here. Much worse than my experience.
Posted By: Fisherdad58

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/15/17 12:02 PM

Ouch!!!! I've spent over an hour trying to get those things out before. A good sharp knife comes in real handy. Funny how those hooks can get in so deep but you just cant get them to push on thru.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/15/17 12:35 PM

Last month this happened with a spotted bass flopping on the other end of the bait!
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/15/17 12:59 PM

Not funny at the time but one time my buddy and I hired a guide on Toledo Bend, an older guy named Benny ( forget his last name ) and he had a Raycraft boat. He had a transom mounted trolling motor and guided from the back. I was in the front and my buddy was in the back. I was throwing a buzz bait and catching a few and my buddy decided he would tie one on. Unbeknownst to me he had sat down behind me to change lures and the next cast I hooked him in the top of head with the buzz bait and of course back lashed my reel. I turned around to see what happened and he was just sitting there with the buzz bait stuck in his head. I was beside myself but he was quite calm about it. We hurried back to the truck and I carried him to town to find an emergency room. Found one and as we were walking down the hall the buzz bait started spinning and as we approached the nurse at a window she ask me could she help me and at the same time saw my buddy with the buzz bait in his head and best she could tried not to laugh but couldn't help herself and we all started laughing. The doctor got to him quick and started removing the hook as we all were tearing up laughing. Apparently if you have to get hooked the top of the head is the least painful cause my buddy never complained.
Posted By: Newly Retired

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/15/17 01:15 PM

Hooked myself twice in last week. Once fishing the other unloading the truck, being careless.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/15/17 03:34 PM

Worst for me was on a FLy-in outpost on a Canadian fishing trip. Got 2 of 3 hooks of a treble hook in the palm of my hand. This was one of 3 trebles on a 9" bait, so imagine how big the hooks are for that size of bait. I treid for several hours into the night and got 1 hook out, but one was too deep and I had to sleep with it in the palm of my hand. Had to call base camp and they sent a plane, then I had to drive 2 hours back to the US and go to the Hospital. Then drive back, fly back. It was horrible. And oh yeah, woke up the next morning and my back went out so couldn't move for last 3 days of my trip. Was a nightmare.
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/15/17 04:47 PM

With me it's always the small fish that shake a treble in me. Lost skin off the entire tip of my index finger on Falcon just this past weekend. The worst I've seen was on Old Hickory lake in Nashville TN. many years ago. I was fishing a tourney and was catching a few smallies in crystal clear water. One fish chased the crankbait almost all the way to the boat before it hit. When it did I gave a pretty good jerk. It missed and the crank came out of the water. I turned around to see it hanging off my partners left cheek. 2 of the 3 hooks had went all the way in and were almost out again. I told him we had 2 choices, the ER and forfeit the tourney or I pulled them out with pliers. He said to get them out. The first jerk only got 1 of them out and had to do it again. He had tears rolling down his face but he was pretty tough overall. I nicknamed him "Crankbait" after that!!
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/15/17 05:11 PM

Daaaang that hurt just watching.....tuff dude!
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/15/17 05:18 PM

When I started bass fishing.
Posted By: Patrick3679

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/16/17 12:30 AM

Flash back... got hooked in the index finger knuckle. Had a treble hook buried to the bend with a 3lb er at the other end. Had to jerk it out with some needle nose plyers. Kept on fishing for another 30 before squaw closed. So......... that night I went to academy and bought one of those white fish clampers. I honestly don't care what people think when I use because they haven't had a hook buried in the knuckle.
Glad you were able to get it out... 👍🏻
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/17/17 11:22 AM

Originally Posted By: James Biggs

Last month this happened with a spotted bass flopping on the other end of the bait!

Ouch! Been there & Done that!! frown

It's always the little ones you swing in the boat green that get you.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/17/17 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by NTXBankFishing

Got hooked pretty good the other day..

Warning! There is bad language in the video, please forgive me.

Dude, you really need to learn the line pop trick. Would have saved you a BUNCH of misery.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/17/17 03:28 PM

I still hurt from watching it. Ouch! The only worse thing that you could have experienced is having a snake slither through the grass and bite you on the nads while you were crouched.
Posted By: gap

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/19/17 03:55 AM

Worst not me, but on my boat - offshore fishing, a friends dad catches a 10lb Red Snapper on a double hook type stiff rig, trying to unhook, the off hook goes deep into his palm. Huge hook, 12/0 type. Fish was completely alive going nuts digging that hook around in his hand. He literally passed out. I brained the fish with needlenose pliers to get it to stop flopping. 50 miles back, ER, all good.

Fishing with my dad and grandfather on Toledo Bend, March 1999. Fishing near 6-mile campground, throwing 3/4 oz rattletraps. I got hit in the head hard, went to the deck, reached up and felt it in my face, in my eye! One hook through the top eyelid, one through the bottom. Ambulance ride, 3 surgeries later, I can see out of the right eye, but just barely. I won't post the pictures, but the cornea, colored part, was a blue lima bean for a year. Freaked people out...
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/19/17 04:37 AM

Dodged a bullet while fishing from kayak outside of Port Everglades Inlet in Ft Lauderdale years ago. Sportfishing boat trolling two live baits passed between me outside of jetty. Outgoing current pushed his live baits 30 degrees in a matter of seconds and one line with 8 inch live bait with stinger hook came skipping across water and then my deck at high rate of speed. It happened so fast I only had time to push bait away with back of my gloved hand as it crossed my lap. Hook caught sun glove and jerked my hand across my body before almost yanking me out of kayak as glove completely ripped off my hand. Two of the three prongs on hook nicked me but didn't go past barb. It could have been really bad. Boat captain never stopped but I believe crew knew what had happened as no one set the hook.
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/19/17 04:52 AM

My dad had a Rouge stuck in his head once through his cap from my grandpa launching a cast! That was a pita. Fortunately the barbs came through and I could cut them off. Dad on the other hand didn't think so.
Posted By: wtf242

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/19/17 07:14 AM

I was on a boat the guy in the front cast back and hooked me with a treble in the top of the head. I tried with every bit of strength i have to pull it out of my head. It just kept bleeding more. I went to the ER and they cut it out of my head. At least it was my head and not my eye or cheek or something.
Posted By: russelltl

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/19/17 03:59 PM

Worst I have had was compliments of my little brother when we were younger. I had tied on a crappie jig for him and was bitting the excess little me off when he decided to move the rod. He caught me in the roof of the mount. Luckily it was a smaller hook, but was still pretty tough for us to get it jerked out. No fun!!
Posted By: DillonCan'tFish

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/20/17 04:54 PM

Had a 2 pounder set these in my fingers. Mad little guy kept flopping around on other end of Zara spook until I could grab him. Worst part about it, immediately after yanking on em with no luck, I get a call from girlfriends boss. Girlfriend is 20 minutes away at work having bad chest pains and can't breath. Needless to say, I carried that hook around that was locking fingers together for the next hour while getting her to the hospital. She was ok but my fingers stayed sore for a good while after getting hooks removed. Oh, and I lost my wallet sometime between getting hooked and getting to the hospital. Hardly ever carry cash but had $700 in it that day. Lucky me...
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Worst you've been hooked? - 03/20/17 08:00 PM

5/0 ewg+ after clipping off the eye end
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum