Texas Fishing Forum

Zoom - Magnum Flukes

Posted By: Klinker

Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/02/17 08:26 PM

Question for you salty old pros - do the Magnum Flukes (7") have the same erratic action and the Super Flukes (5") when fished weightless as a twitch bait? Do you "give up" anything by going up to the Magnum Fluke?
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/02/17 08:43 PM

They work just the same.

I will say that the ones with a heavy flake in them don't seem to have the flexibility that the ones without do, so the action is a little stiffer.

Giving up anything? Maybe a few more bites, but the quality seems to be better (At least to me it is)
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/02/17 08:50 PM

They're the same, but they don't really work grin
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/02/17 08:58 PM

I prefer them over the standard super fluke if the fish are on flukes. They have a better side to side 'walking' motion because they are heavier and glide better when weightless.

You get bigger bites as said above. I like them on Carolina rig. All 3 of my DD's were on mag flukes, throw some 6's, 7's and 8's in that mix as well, big thinking 2 pounders will get in on the mix just the same.
Posted By: ShawnT

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/02/17 09:06 PM

Best belly weighted hook for mag flukes? Any suggestions?
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/02/17 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: ShawnT

I hate the way a belly weighted hook tears up the head of the fluke. If anything I will slide a drop shot weight onto hook between the head and where you go back through the body.

But that's just me

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/02/17 09:21 PM

Agreed. I've been using swimbait hooks with the screwlock for that reason. Just not real happy with the half dozen brands I've tried so far.

I've been using these 8/0 and cutting off part of the lead so it's a little lighter.

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/02/17 09:45 PM

I never belly weighted them, takes away the action but that's my opinion. If I were to do it, it would be the 6/0 Owner Beast hook.

I actually t-rigged with a bullet weight or c-rig most of the time.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/02/17 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer

I hate the way a belly weighted hook tears up the head of the fluke. If anything I will slide a drop shot weight onto hook between the head and where you go back through the body.

But that's just me

+2
Posted By: JT Evans

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/03/17 12:05 AM

I fish with both Super and Mag Flukes and have caught bass on both. And I don't use a belly weighted hook. I wish they would put a paddle tail on the Mag Fluke but otherwise use a 5/0 Owners hook and its heavy enough to cast weightless. On the Super Fluke I use a 4/0 Owners and put finishing nails into the head just above the hook to make it nose heavy.

I think your erratic action has more to do with your retrieve and I typically use a reel twice and let it fall back down type of retrieve with a level rod tip.

However SuperMatt the California jig guy had a nice You Tube video posted on TFF recently where he is rigging an Owners screw lock then putting a 1/0 hook through the ring to turn it into a plastic jerkbait. Cool stuff.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/03/17 01:00 AM

I fish em weightless on a 6/0 EWG superline hook. Try a mag fluke on a big shakey head. wink
Posted By: SK1

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/03/17 03:32 AM

I fish the super fluke a whole lot but I have yet to fish the magnum fluke. Been meaning to try a deep water presentation with magnum that heard about awhile back,but hadn't got around to it yet.
Posted By: propman

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/03/17 04:10 PM

Try the magnum weightless with a # 6 hook, also with a Scrounger head, and a swinging football head jig. I got an 11# 4oz. on a white magnum rigged weightless and have caught several with the Scrounger head.
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/03/17 06:29 PM

I shy away from the belly weighted or EWG hooks for mag flukes.

Give these a shot in the 7/0 size:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_Oversize_Worm_Hooks/descpage-OOW.html

I think you'll have the best luck getting a fish in the boat with these.

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/03/17 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: NickHasty

I have tried those and do throw them when I throw them weightless or on a c-rig. I'm also throwing mag flukes in 15-20' of water over deep grass that is 3-4' tall and needing something that will get it down there quicker and stay down there and still get the side to side darting action. The issue i'm running into is hook up ratio is not great, hince the reason I'm looking to see if anyone else is doing it.
Posted By: JoeyC

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/03/17 09:26 PM

I think the mags have a smoother glide and are much easier to work because they are so big. I fish them weightless just like the super fluke.

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/03/17 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: NickHasty

I have tried those and do throw them when I throw them weightless or on a c-rig. I'm also throwing mag flukes in 15-20' of water over deep grass that is 3-4' tall and needing something that will get it down there quicker and stay down there and still get the side to side darting action. The issue i'm running into is hook up ratio is not great, hince the reason I'm looking to see if anyone else is doing it.

Throw a light C-rig, a light enough weight will keep the rig on top of the grass and you can still work the fluke. Use this hook, I've had great success with it. 6/0

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_Wide_Gap_Plus_Black_Chrome_Hooks/descpage-O5139.html
Posted By: mark.tpt

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/03/17 09:57 PM

I personally prefer the magnum and the 5" "swimming" super fluke with the paddle tail. That tail helps it stay on track with no line twist, and provides resistance and that thumping vibration in the water. Really a great general use bass bait for numbers and size.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/04/17 02:41 AM

I love throwing them on the Dangleberry Rig that Lee Sisson designed years ago. The small, sliding weight on the shank gives the bait a very, erratic action. The last ones I bought were at Fishin' World. Not sure if they are even made any more.
Posted By: Farrside

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/04/17 04:01 AM

I've had great results fishing them. I use a 5/0 wide gap and part of a nail weight in the tail. It will cause it to fall tail first on the pause. Try it out if you haven't. You'll be amazed at that action.
Posted By: Creekhead

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/04/17 04:24 AM

I think if you can get a magnum fluke close to a brushpile and keep it as natural as possible you will be in good shape.

I had great success fishing these when they first came out using them in 8ft of water on brush piles next to the river channel on Lake Eufaula during the postspawn. The key was to let it settle in the pile (weight less) and then provide just a twitch...

I have been doing the same here in Texas. Since there is a bit more wind in Texas I add some weight (usually split shot). It's a good technique and hope it helps you
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/04/17 10:57 AM

Try the new strike king magnum caffeine shad!
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 03/04/17 03:59 PM

I like to use them on a 3/4 oz bladed jig.....but, don't tell anybody I said so......
Posted By: prospec1

Re: Zoom - Magnum Flukes - 04/03/17 05:54 PM

I like them weightless with a swivel about 12"-18" in front
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum