Texas Fishing Forum

New Reservoir in Texas

Posted By: Jpurdue

New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 01:41 PM

I know this topic comes up from time to time, but does anyone know if there is any real chatter on the possibility of a new impoundment in Texas at any point in the near future?
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 02:10 PM

There "is" supposed to be a new one. Located along FM2945 and Bois d'Arc Creek. Was a while since I heard about it but took some screen shots of the creek!

https://www.ntmwd.com/projects/lower-bois-darc-creek-reservoir/

http://ketr.org/post/fannin-countys-proposed-lower-bois-darc-creek-reservoir-process-moving-slowly
Posted By: 9094

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 02:14 PM

There is an approved one out here in Shackelford county but it keeps getting held up. Oil wells are all plugged, power lines moved and now nothing.
If they ever build it will be a pretty lake. Like a mini PK.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 02:21 PM

The Lower Bois d'arc Creek Reservoir had a lot of momentum going but has recently stalled.

With the population growth in Fannin and Collin counties, I do think it will happen (hopefully in my lifetime)
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
The Lower Bois d'arc Creek Reservoir had a lot of momentum going but has recently stalled.

With the population growth in Fannin and Collin counties, I do think it will happen (hopefully in my lifetime)

If you can get the TCEQ out of the picture it might move forward, they are very an agency in Texas that needs to be sunsetted.

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
I know this topic comes up from time to time, but does anyone know if there is any real chatter on the possibility of a new impoundment in Texas at any point in the near future?

They opened Wheeler Branch a few years ago, Small lake, last I heard no outboards allowed.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 02:51 PM

Lake Columbia:

Looks like this one has been trying to get off the drawing board for almost 20 years and may be dead in the water:

http://www.ktre.com/story/33005474/suppo...espite-setbacks
Posted By: xbobcatx2000

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 03:01 PM

Where is wheeler branch?

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: xbobcatx2000
Where is wheeler branch?

Near Glen Rose, I understand it's a deep lake stocked with some walleye.

Never been on it personally.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger

They opened Wheeler Branch a few years ago, Small lake, last I heard no outboards allowed.

Last year they closed it to all boats mad, you can only use a kayak there, good little lake. To the OP's topic next big reservoir is Marvin Nichols in east texas but probably serveral years away from becoming a reality.
Posted By: happycampr

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 04:04 PM

I suspect that with Scott Pruitt now over the EPA and the reductions on regulations proposed this will speed up the process on the Lower Bois d'arc Creek reservoir project... just my opinion.

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 04:12 PM

Another proposed lake is Ralph Hall reservoir which would be built just north of Ladonia, about 80 miles northeast of Dallas. Here is a good map which shows both LBCR and RHR:
Posted By: LittleGazoo

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 04:32 PM

Hmm,

After the floods below Sam Rayburn, you would think common sense would be to build a new lake on the Sabine River above Rayburn.

But common sense will doom that. . .
Posted By: David Burton

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 06:32 PM

Not a reservoir, but would lend itself to recreational opportunities:

Red River Navigation
Posted By: FW_Tom_H

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 09:36 PM

Turkey Peak is also in the works. It's basically just an addition to Lake Palo Pinto, but still, new water!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: LittleGazoo
Hmm,

After the floods below Sam Rayburn, you would think common sense would be to build a new lake on the Sabine River above Rayburn.

That would be Toledo, not Rayburn...

And it has lakes already, tawakoni and fork...
Posted By: catslayer

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: xbobcatx2000
Where is wheeler branch?

Near Glen Rose, I understand it's a deep lake stocked with some walleye.

Never been on it personally.

Not sure when it will take effect but I was told wheeler branch ellected to no longer allow "big boats" on the lake... ill see if i can verify
Posted By: catslayer

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 02/28/17 11:56 PM

Found a "press release" with no offical letter head posted on it... id call b4 i went tout there with the big boat

http://www.scwd.com/about-the-park.html

Never mind just had to no where to look on the sight...

Wheeler branch, closed to bass boats
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 03/01/17 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman

Last year they closed it to all boats mad, you can only use a kayak there, good little lake. To the OP's topic next big reservoir is Marvin Nichols in east texas but probably serveral years away from becoming a reality.

Lots of opposition to Marvin Nichols. Now, they are looking at raising Wright Patman 10 to 15' and sell that water to Dallas. The studies are taking shape now. If they do that, it will essentially be a new lake.
Posted By: Go-Go Gadget

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 03/01/17 02:30 AM

For all of you Guys wondering if Bois D Arc is going to happen, let me ease your mind. We (NTMWD) should begin work on the Damn I April of 2018. Its not TCEQ holding us up it's the Corps of Engineers and their hurt feelings because NTMWD will not let them in on the operation of the Lake. It will be owned and operated by NTMWD. We have already got a Contractor hired to do the Damn and they are working on Mitigation efforts as we speak. The Raw water Pipelines are being designed to carry water to our new Water treatment Plant going in at Leonard and the Treated Water Pipeline from Leonard to McKinney is in design. After all that being said it's still a long way off but should be impounded by sometime in late 2022 or early 2023.
There is a lot of good info on the Lake and other Large Projects that we have on our website if you care to look it up. www.ntmwd.com
Posted By: Chris B

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 03/01/17 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Go-Go Gadget
For all of you Guys wondering if Bois D Arc is going to happen, let me ease your mind. We (NTMWD) should begin work on the Damn I April of 2018. Its not TCEQ holding us up it's the Corps of Engineers and their hurt feelings because NTMWD will not let them in on the operation of the Lake. It will be owned and operated by NTMWD. We have already got a Contractor hired to do the Damn and they are working on Mitigation efforts as we speak. The Raw water Pipelines are being designed to carry water to our new Water treatment Plant going in at Leonard and the Treated Water Pipeline from Leonard to McKinney is in design. After all that being said it's still a long way off but should be impounded by sometime in late 2022 or early 2023.
There is a lot of good info on the Lake and other Large Projects that we have on our website if you care to look it up. www.ntmwd.com

Glad to hear its moving forward. Wasn't it originally expected to open in 2018?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 03/01/17 03:21 AM

thumb clap
Posted By: duckkillah

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 03/01/17 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: RedEar12

Lots of opposition to Marvin Nichols. Now, they are looking at raising Wright Patman 10 to 15' and sell that water to Dallas. The studies are taking shape now. If they do that, it will essentially be a new lake.

This has always been the easiest option for providing a substantial amount of water for North Texas. I've heard rumors, but still can't understand why it has never been seriously considered till now. Wright Patman has a 30' flood pool. 30'! And another 20' before maximum designed elevation! That would satisfy North Texas' water needs for many years...or at least until a new reservoir actually fills up to a usable level!

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 03/01/17 06:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Originally Posted By: LittleGazoo
Hmm,

That would be Toledo, not Rayburn...

And it has lakes already, tawakoni and fork...

oops. Yes it was Toledo on the Sabine....

But . . .
Tawakoni is basically the head water of the Sabine and Fork is only a feeder lake. Neither of the three are for flood control.

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 03/01/17 11:44 AM

Great News
Posted By: popcork

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 03/01/17 04:41 PM

Not trying to be ugly but Rayburn is not on the Sabine, it is on the Attoyac and Angelina Rivers. Toledo Bend is on the Sabine.
Posted By: Catfish-hunter

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 03/01/17 04:50 PM

Lake Hempstead would have been nice. Brazos river impoundment would be great in that area. Yup,Somerville and Bryan are nearby, there was talk in the 90's that Somerville was soon to be silted in,that lakes weren't made to last roflmao
Anyone still interested in Choke? Corp of engineers needs to get involved in cleaning drainages, creating waterways,and funneling water into her. Sad shape when most lakes are near full and she just there always half empty or more.
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 03/01/17 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: RedEar12
Originally Posted By: Bossbowman

Where is Marvin Nichols supposed to be located if it goes through?
Posted By: MadFluker

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 03/01/17 08:22 PM

"Marvin Nichols" dam would be close to HWY 259 and I-30 by New Boston (sulpher river)

http://www.tcatexas.org/marvin-nichols-reservoir/

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 03/01/17 09:13 PM

This 1984 map shows all the potential reservoir sites, https://www.twdb.texas.gov/publications/State_Water_Plan/1984/Plate%201%20reservoirs.pdf but 25 years later this maps shows alot of those sites removed https://www.twdb.texas.gov/publications/...%20-%202007.pdf I know tennesse colony reservoir near me got nixed because of some environmental reason, might have been an endangered species that would have been affected but not sure why the tehuacana creek one south of richland chambers was taken off the map.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 03/02/17 12:14 AM

If we wait on Abilene to built Cedar Ridge my grand kids might get to fish it. fish
Posted By: hunterfishes

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 03/02/17 05:50 PM

The flooding below Rayburn was on the Neches. and it was never as bad as that on the Sabine below Toledo bend. there was actually a lake proposed on the Neches near Rockland TX (was called dam A) it was supposed to work in conjunction with Rayburn to control flooding on the Neches. But last I had heard the environmentalist had pretty much got it shut down.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 03/02/17 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: hunterfishes
The flooding below Rayburn was on the Neches. and it was never as bad as that on the Sabine below Toledo bend. there was actually a lake proposed on the Neches near Rockland TX (was called dam A) it was supposed to work in conjunction with Rayburn to control flooding on the Neches. But last I had heard the environmentalist had pretty much got it shut down.

There was also talk of raising Dam B (Steinhagen) several feet.

The lower Neches has flooded as long as I can remember which is about 60 years.

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 09/25/17 03:05 AM

Resurrecting this old post... does anyone have any predictions as to what species will do well in LBCR? One map I saw indicates there will be a bridge across the middle of the lake which lends itself to crappie fishing. Any thoughts?
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 09/25/17 01:20 PM

I recently found out that back in the 40s when the treaty was settled for building dams for Amistad and Falcon, that there's supposed to be a third lake on the border! Doubt it'll ever happen as politicians would certainly like whatever "resources" were set aside for it (if any) to be used for "other" things, but still pretty interesting..

My source is in the second section titled, "Background":

https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/amis/crs/sec2.htm
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 09/25/17 01:32 PM

Here is an interesting article about water/dams/conservation/etc in Texas. Although written from the Ecological/Conservation viewpoint it gives information about many of the proposed dams and lakes in Texas. It was written at that time (2011) also from the viewpoint of water USAGE for the larger Metropolitan Areas and not for the ideas of Flood Control. It's worth a read. (Personally I don't agree with all of it, but it is interesting.)

https://psmag.com/environment/texas-thirst-for-dams-bucks-national-trend-34541
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 09/26/17 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy
There "is" supposed to be a new one. Located along FM2945 and Bois d'Arc Creek. Was a while since I heard about it but took some screen shots of the creek!

http://ketr.org/post/fannin-countys-proposed-lower-bois-darc-creek-reservoir-process-moving-slowly

When completed, how long would it take to fill?
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 09/26/17 12:42 AM

Nice. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 09/26/17 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Rayzor
Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy

When completed, how long would it take to fill?

It would have filled about five times with as much rain as they have had up there in the last couple years.
Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 09/26/17 07:46 PM

Just recently they approved a new lake over near Lampasas.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/409270662609645/permalink/694015987468443/
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 09/26/17 08:13 PM

Need bigger lakes out here by houston on Brazos river or even San Jacinto
Posted By: KHumpert

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 09/26/17 08:57 PM

Wichita Falls is trying to get a lake built near Ringgold. The city is hitting many road blocks however.

http://www.newschannel6now.com/story/354...r-lake-ringgold
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 09/26/17 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Kens3313
Need bigger lakes out here by houston on Brazos river or even San Jacinto
Not huge at 100,000 acre/feet, but there is one in the works.

Allens Creek Map

Allens Creek Details

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 04/09/23 09:44 PM

This one is supposedly going to happen sooner than later

[Linked Image]

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 04/10/23 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by LittleGazoo
Hmm, After the floods below Sam Rayburn, you would think common sense would be to build a new lake on the Sabine River above Rayburn.

Ralph Hall was originally proposed with the dam built on the Sabine close to the Gladewater Airport and the lake extending to Mineola. But it would have flooded the rich-enclave known as the Little Sandy Hunt & Fish Club at Hawkins and politics killed it.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: New Reservoir in Texas - 04/10/23 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by LittleGazoo
Hmm,

The Sabine goes into Toledo Bend! Angelina and Neches along with Ayish Bayou feed Rayburn.

And yep common sense will not be a part of any decision, only $$$$!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum