Texas Fishing Forum

Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall

Posted By: David Rush

Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 12:22 AM

Posting in the Bass Section because I want to see what the bass anglers on the border (or others that may know) think. Move if necessary. Looks like Trump is pushing forward with The Wall so, I'm wondering what happens around the lakes? Will it continue along the US side of these lakes? Stop and start dam to river? It seems like it will create problems for bass anglers either way. If it jumps the lakes it's seems like they'd become even more of a funnel for illegal activity. If the wall follows the lakes US shorelines it creates access problems and makes them more dangerous. Has this been considered?
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 12:24 AM

scared popcorn
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 12:33 AM

Lol, never gonna happen.
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 12:34 AM

I'm not sure anyone here knows what the future has in store.

But I'll tell you one thing, Trump don't give two carps about you being able to run over to Blanco for a couple green fish.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 12:51 AM

I say put the wall down the center of the river channel and make sure the spillway is on their side so ours stays full.
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 01:26 AM

I'm not really sure, but if I have a fence between the lake and my backyard I'm going to be one unhappy camper
boxing
Posted By: RCarter

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris B
I say put the wall down the center of the river channel and make sure the spillway is on their side so ours stays full.

X2

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Jobie99
I'm not really sure, but if I have a fence between the lake and my backyard I'm going to be one unhappy camper
boxing

Hope that doesn't happen Joe. I did see a story a while back where they interviewed people that would lose land and I think there were some houses that would end up on the wrong side of it. Not sure why there hasn't been any news (that I've seen) about how the lakes would be handled.
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 03:19 AM

Who wants to bet they don't account for the fluctuation and you can drive right over the wall when the lake fills.
Posted By: Chuck72

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 03:32 AM

Having managed the building of 80 miles of that fence in Cali, Arizona and Texas I can tell you they won't split the Lake with a fence. IBWC has a lot of power because of the Treaty, they will probably have final say on the designs again in Texas along the Rivers and lakes. The fence along the River was a nightmare, especially in the RGV area. But without question Arizona and Cali were the most dangerous.

It would indeed create a funnel, of course it would appear that in some areas that was the intent.

Oh the stories I could tell about that part of my life. I have already received calls asking if I am interested in managing the next build. The answer, Probably not!
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 03:42 AM

EHHHHHH....Areas like Lake Amistad and the Big Bend are already natural barriers that make for difficult points of entry as it is, I doubt anything more than beefing up patrols and electronic monitoring would be required in areas where crossings are impeded by the natural terrain.
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 05:45 AM

My guess is the us will buy or trade for the Mexico side of the lakes and run the fence on there side. Then Mexicans will need fishing liscense to go i the lake. And fish by our regulations. Who actually owns the dam?
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Chuck72
Having managed the building of 80 miles of that fence in Cali, Arizona and Texas I can tell you they won't split the Lake with a fence. IBWC has a lot of power because of the Treaty, they will probably have final say on the designs again in Texas along the Rivers and lakes. The fence along the River was a nightmare, especially in the RGV area. But without question Arizona and Cali were the most dangerous.

It would indeed create a funnel, of course it would appear that in some areas that was the intent.

Oh the stories I could tell about that part of my life. I have already received calls asking if I am interested in managing the next build. The answer, Probably not!

I agree Chuck, my guess is they'll bulk up patrol near the lakes. There are currently 2 blimps and several boats patrolling on Falcon most days.
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Flooringit
My guess is the us will buy or trade for the Mexico side of the lakes and run the fence on there side. Then Mexicans will need fishing liscense to go i the lake. And fish by our regulations. Who actually owns the dam?

Just my opinion but I don't see that happening at all. Both Falcon and Amistad were built as a joint agreement to provide power to those isolated areas (Mexico gets most of it). The actual border was set as the middle of the river nearly 200 years ago and I don't see an international border being moved to build a "Wall/Fence" or whatever they decide to do.

What I would personally expect is a fence down the middle which would be much easier and realistic than an actual "Wall". A fence or wall down the middle will assist Law Enforcement and protect our borders, but will limit fishing areas on both lakes, which I am sure will not even be considered in the dicussions. Can you imagine the cost and logistics of building a concrete wall in 50-100 feet of water for literally 100 miles or so---Not to mention having to build it to accommodate water fluctuation----The technology is there to do so but the cost would be astronomical!!

As far as the difference in fishing regulations from each side I would like to see the cast nets banned---These guys literally take thousands of quality/trophy fish from both these fisheries annually.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 01:59 PM

There won't be a physical fence of any kind built in the water. Too costly and too hard to maintain. Aerostat balloons. With increased boots on the ground and no more catch and release. After watching a couple BP agents run headlong through impenetrable brush chasing 18 "immigrants" on Christmas day, I can assure you those guys are some badarse hombres who LOVE their jobs. They just want to see the laws enforced.
Posted By: LittleGazoo

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 02:21 PM

Moderator, you need to move this thread to the Alternate Facts Forum.
Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 02:38 PM

I could see them installing maybe a floating barrier along the border of some sort mounted to a buoy line such as cables, bladders, etc. and increasing patrols. It wouldn't be that difficult or expensive to anchor some buoys and run some cables. I don't see them building a wall in the lake because that is not at all feasible from an engineering or a cost perspective.

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 02:41 PM

Dumbest discussion ever, no fences or walls will be built down the middle of the Rio Grande.
Posted By: LittleGazoo

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Dumbest discussion ever, no fences or walls will be built down the middle of the Rio Grande.

laugh
Will just make the illegals convert from shovels to snorkels.

US Gov can start up a Water Taxi service to pay for The Wall. Or build doors in the wall to create a funnel with a stockade on our side.
Where's Archie Bunker when you need some good ole' common sense.

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 03:46 PM

Can you imagine any type of fence wether it's floating or anchored when one of the floods hits?

Can you imagine the outrage from the landowners who would have their land and livestock cut off from the rio grande? Never, ever, eveerrrr going to happen in Texas. Yeah maybe Arizona, California, etc.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: ToadSnatcher14
I'm not sure anyone here knows what the future has in store.

But I'll tell you one thing, Trump don't give two carps about you being able to run over to Blanco for a couple green fish.

Yep.

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

I respect your right to your opinion but I really don't understand why you call this a dumb discussion considering your president has said it would happen. He has visited the area recently and knows these lakes exist and also that the International Border runs thru the middle of them and the Rio Grande River which feed these lakes. Never say Never!

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 06:09 PM

I'll say it. NEVER. Use some common sense fellas. How many ways are there to build a wall? It doesn't have to be a physical boundary. It can be electronic. Similar to what we have down there now, aerostat balloons, foot sensors, etc.

What we don't have are enough agents along the border to interdict intruders as they're breaching the boundary. Once we do, and once we start sending them right back home immediately, what we'll have is an impenetrable "wall".
Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 06:10 PM

The ranchers swing a lot of weight in the south Texas area. You start talking about building a wall and this cuts off a major water supply for a lot of ranches. Building the wall in the middle of the river makes zero sense. First off, it would be more costly to construct. Secondly, floods would cause water level to make the wall crossable and possibly even force the wall down. Finally, if you've looked at a map, it's easy to see following the river is probably twice the distance as if you built it straight across.

I don't know the answer, but I do know it won't make everyone happy!
Posted By: T Gutierrez

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
I'll say it. NEVER. Use some common sense fellas. How many ways are there to build a wall? It doesn't have to be a physical boundary. It can be electronic. Similar to what we have down there now, aerostat balloons, foot sensors, etc.

What we don't have are enough agents along the border to interdict intruders as they're breaching the boundary. Once we do, and once we start sending them right back home immediately, what we'll have is an impenetrable "wall".

Originally Posted By: PowPowOl'Son
The ranchers swing a lot of weight in the south Texas area. You start talking about building a wall and this cuts off a major water supply for a lot of ranches. Building the wall in the middle of the river makes zero sense. First off, it would be more costly to construct. Secondly, floods would cause water level to make the wall crossable and possibly even force the wall down. Finally, if you've looked at a map, it's easy to see following the river is probably twice the distance as if you built it straight across.

I don't know the answer, but I do know it won't make everyone happy!

These two guys got it right.
There is no way a Physical wall gets built.
There is not enough time in a Presidents run to build a wall. Even if he could get past the obstacles in front of the physical building of the wall.

A electronic wall is possible but it would not be like a electric fence(shocking folks)it would be like sensors and boots on the ground as Fouzman says alerted by sensors, blimps, camera's and such.

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 07:31 PM

I agree with Fouz, there will not be a physical wall with regards to the lakes. I can't imagine there was ever a plan to do any type physical wall/fence mid river or lake either. The places there will be a physical wall will be set back from the river and it will impact land owners. My post was about the lakes and if there would be physical walls on our shorelines (above flood stage) or if they would end and restart. I'm assuming it's something like fouz mentioned and already exists in places. I'm pretty sure we'll see an impact on how we get to use them whatever happens.

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 07:50 PM

There is only one way to stop illegals and that was the method given by Kinky Friedman several years ago. Now what I see really happening is when Mexico gets pizzed enough at us, we might not be allowed to buy Mexican fishing licenses anymore and they might give the Americans an illegal status on Mexican waters.
Posted By: T Gutierrez

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: David Rush
I agree with Fouz, there will not be a physical wall with regards to the lakes. I can't imagine there was ever a plan to do any type physical wall/fence mid river or lake either. The places there will be a physical wall will be set back from the river and it will impact land owners. My post was about the lakes and if there would be physical walls on our shorelines (above flood stage) or if they would end and restart. I'm assuming it's something like fouz mentioned and already exists in places. I'm pretty sure we'll see an impact on how we get to use them whatever happens.

I don't believe they could put anything up to restrict water to either Country. Both countries need and depend on that water. There for a physical wall will never exist.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 08:48 PM

The lakes are great pinch points, walls to and from the water I can see in the future. Either swim, dive, or float North to an increased amount of BP waiting 24/7/365.

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 08:57 PM

I agree and understand the rancher/water argument. I fully understand the logistics of what has been proposed. I'm on the fence as to what if anything can be placed in the lakes as a physical barrier. Maybe nothing will be placed in the lakes but a wall/fence whatever along the remainder of the border will undoubtedly free up more man-power to patrol the lake borders. BUT---There are already motion sensors, stationary and portable FLIR, eyes in the sky with and without FLIR, which include the balloons, helicopters, and more recently unmanned aircraft. This has been going on for many many years. I should know, I was part of it from 1991-1994 (Task Force-6). Where army aircraft and personnel were used to assist border patrol and customs from Texas to California. How's this working out?? We still have more illegals than ever before, more drugs, and of course the occasional killings and kidnappings. Electronic counter-measures and more boots on the ground are not the answer and the past 20+ years of trying these tactics have proven that. You're only seeing the "Texas" side of this and not the entire border issue. Without an actual structure which can be monitored to a higher degree, there is no way to feasibly say our border is 100% secure, if that is at all even possible and any border agent will tell you that. Further west people are kidnapped (just had a recent attempt here in Texas), ranchers have been murdered, and drug running is just as rampant as it ever has been. Coyotes are now coming to SA to steal trucks to be used to transport illegals and drugs. A friend just recently had his brand new F250 recovered from one such instance where they caused over $20K damage to his truck. Insurance would only pay $1200 for the contents that were stolen, which included his Ranger boat cover, and 5 Shimano reels on high dollar GLoomis Rods. Most days we never here of anything unless it happens locally. Sometimes it takes a someone being personally involved in an issue to get them to understand just how important and urgent the issue really is!

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 09:22 PM

Bulletman, keep in mind who has been in charge the last 8 years; but still I agree with you. There is only 1 way to stop it and it would have to come from the Mexican government.

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 09:24 PM

Bulletman99, I believe it is physically impossible to secure our border 100%. What IS possible is to enforce the laws already on our books and pass further, more punitive measures. Make it so uncomfortable to attempt to come here (and stay here) that people will stop trying, eventually. Or incarcerate them and let them work for the gubment improving our infrastructure. Or...

...To hell with PC and humanitarian treatment. This is a closed border. If we catch you trying to cross it, you will be apprehended or killed. Anyone have the stomach for the second part?
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 09:38 PM

I am in-favor of the dismemberment of arms, feet, and/or legs for a second time offender.

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 09:42 PM

LOL---Guys we are all in agreement---And yes Fouzman I DO have the stomach for what comes next---Sergeant First Class US Army Retired!! It is funny you mentioned it though. Back when I flew the border out of Ft. Hood, there was public outcry that we were in fact out to do just that. I was a Blackhawk Crew-chief in support of Apaches from 1/6 Cavalry. I had a one of a kind Blackhawk (at that time) that had FLIR mounted in the nose and a command and control communication center in the back. The particular FLIR I had was also a one of a kind from Hughes Aircraft in Van Nuys CA. We were testing it for the Comanche Program that was later cancelled by Congress. The FLIR was cable of detecting a heat signature such as a cigarette from 5 miles away and locking onto that target. We had ZERO guns mounted or even side arms. The Apaches of course had their main cannon mounted but no ammo. The only reason they were tasked to be there was they had FLIR with Day and Night capabilities. Because the Apaches had the guns mounted the program was scrapped to prevent hurting the little democrats' feelings!

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Bulletman99
LOL---Guys we are all in agreement---And yes Fouzman I DO have the stomach for what comes next---Sergeant First Class US Army Retired!! It is funny you mentioned it though. Back when I flew the border out of Ft. Hood, there was public outcry that we were in fact out to do just that. I was a Blackhawk Crew-chief in support of Apaches from 1/6 Cavalry. I had a one of a kind Blackhawk (at that time) that had FLIR mounted in the nose and a command and control communication center in the back. The particular FLIR I had was also a one of a kind from Hughes Aircraft in Van Nuys CA. We were testing it for the Comanche Program that was later cancelled by Congress. The FLIR was cable of detecting a heat signature such as a cigarette from 5 miles away and locking onto that target. We had ZERO guns mounted or even side arms. The Apaches of course had their main cannon mounted but no ammo. The only reason they were tasked to be there was they had FLIR with Day and Night capabilities. Because the Apaches had the guns mounted the program was scrapped to prevent hurting the little democrats' feelings!

What a crock! Don't want to cause an international incident by flying unarmed aircraft near the border. Thank you for your service to this country, sir! flag
Posted By: fish hard for fun

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 10:08 PM

If there is going to be a wall built along Falcon it might as well improve the Bass fishing: Electroshock the Gar and dry them like cordwood. Afterwards build a 10 foot high wall with them along the shoreline using crushed Cormorants for mortar. There would be plenty of materials left over for other projects!
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 10:56 PM

Doubt if there is any feasible way to fence off Falcon or the Rio Grande and probably wouldn't do any good anyway. At the present we have 21,000 Border Patrol agents and they haven't shut it down completely. I would use the experience and intelligence of Chief Mark Morgan and new Sec. of Defense "Mad Dog" Hattis to help solve the issue of illegals. The "wall" is a deterrent but not a fix. Fear of getting caught hasn't stopped them. It appears the answer lies on the Mexican side and fear might motivate those in charge to get involved with purpose.

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: fish hard for fun
If there is going to be a wall built along Falcon it might as well improve the Bass fishing: Electroshock the Gar and dry them like cordwood. Afterwards build a 10 foot high wall with them along the shoreline using crushed Cormorants for mortar. There would be plenty of materials left over for other projects!

Thats some funny stuff right there I don't care who you are!!

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 11:14 PM

The "illegals" problem goes way beyond getting across the border. In 2013 while employed with another oilfield company in another state, we got wind that one or more of our mexicans were illegal. The ops manager and myself brought all 27 of them in for a meeting. We came right out and asked who was illegal----23 of them admitted to it! We had completed the required I9 background checks and they all came back good. When asked how they were doing this, one told us that they were paying a man in either Virginia or W. Virginia $5K per person and he would provide paperwork that would pass right thru the federal and state systems. The man wasn't BSing either. These guys and their families had been in the states for several years, paying taxes, and getting "LEGAL" returns. Yes we must secure our borders better by some means but s**t like this has got to be investigated and stopped as well!!!
Posted By: RRogers

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 11:18 PM

What if they just knock out the dams and drain em. Then it would be way easier to build a wall.

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/26/17 11:26 PM

My first thought was where did they get the $5000 ? If there's a way they'll figure it out I guess. The illegal who killed that woman in California had been deported 4-5 times and made it back. Maybe if they started deporting them to Syria or Iran it might make them think twice. Parachutes would work great for that.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/27/17 01:35 AM

I'd probably listen to men like bullet.....Lived on the pointy end of the spear and knows what is required.....I say a wall where feasible to narrow the access points, and zero tolerance for any other crossing using the full weight of the US military..... Amnesty for those here, productive, and willing to comply with the law is fine with me...... Everyone else can learn the hard way.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/27/17 01:41 AM

Well if you set up the military on the border and shoot enough of them they will quit coming. we have gotten soft on all things. I know this is over kill, but it will take extreme measurements to stop this. I think it is to easy to built a tunnel to go under the fence.
Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/27/17 02:19 AM

I have the ultimate plan!!! Build two lakes about 40 miles from the border. Then divert the water from falcon and amistad

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/27/17 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Workfishngolf37
I have the ultimate plan!!! Build two lakes about 40 miles from the border. Then divert the water from falcon and amistad

Best idea I've heard yet pilgrim.

Re: Falcon, Amistad, and The Wall - 01/27/17 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Workfishngolf37

+1 LOL But make it 100 miles--saves me gas money!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum