Texas Fishing Forum

neko rig

Posted By: dynatrakben194

neko rig - 01/25/17 06:04 PM

anyone try this ? If so, what are your results?
Posted By: goodman1389

Re: neko rig - 01/25/17 06:44 PM

I've caught a few good ones throwing this around submerged timber. I throw it at the base of the tree and let if fall all the way on a slack line. once it hits bottom I twitch it a few times, if nothing bites, I bring it back and try another side of the tree.
Posted By: mikereils5er

Re: neko rig - 01/25/17 07:49 PM

weird to rig up correctly
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: neko rig - 01/25/17 09:11 PM

I need to learn more about this. I've read some, but that about it. I think will order the mushroom tail weights from Tackleware house and play with it. If I ever get off work and can fish.
Posted By: Basser1OH

Re: neko rig - 01/25/17 09:39 PM

I started using it last summer with very good success. I use the VMC 1/0 hooks and 1/8 & 3/16oz VMC mushroom weights made for it.

Various 6" straight tail worms with the GrandeBass Airtail Wiggler getting the best results due to the best floating tail worm and a 5" Senko a close second. A 6" Strike King finesse worm third.

I started by using a spinning outfit with an 8# flourocarbon leader bout switched to a baitcaster with 10# flourocarbon for better pitching accuracy and have not switched back to spinning gear.

I have found it to be a good all season rig.
Posted By: Basser1OH

Re: neko rig - 01/25/17 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Basser1OH
I started using it last summer with very good success. I use the VMC 1/0 hooks and 1/8 & 3/16oz VMC mushroom weights made for it.

Various 6" straight tail worms with the GrandeBass Airtail Wiggler getting the best results due to the best floating tail worm and a 5" Senko a close second. A 6" Strike King finesse worm third.

I started by using a spinning outfit with an 8# flourocarbon leader bout switched to a baitcaster with 10# flourocarbon for better pitching accuracy and have not switched back to spinning gear.

I have found it to be a good all season rig.

I also use a red o-ring just like I do for a wacky rigged Senko. It saves on worms.

Posted By: Neches

Re: neko rig - 01/25/17 11:12 PM

Its a wacky worm with a weight in the end of it. People have been doing it for years. All they have done is gave it a new name and tackle companies are selling specific weights for it. Im guessing Dobyns will be the first to have a Neko Rig Rod. Shove a nail or a screw or a half a clam shell weight in the end of you worm with a dot of super glue, and there ya have it. I have always wondered if tackle companies pay an advertisement fee to have those article published in Bass magazines.
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: neko rig - 01/25/17 11:25 PM

Looking at it, I think you're right-a wacky worm with a weight. There are soooo many ways to finesse fish and it seems like every small change means they have to come up with a new name.

But I have no doubt that its effective.
Posted By: goodman1389

Re: neko rig - 01/26/17 01:33 PM

I keep a pair of wire snips on the boat and cut a drywall nail in half for my "neko" weights
Posted By: CCTX

Re: neko rig - 01/26/17 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: goodman1389
I keep a pair of wire snips on the boat and cut a drywall nail in half for my "neko" weights

^^^^^this---metal coat hangers will work in a pinch.
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: neko rig - 01/26/17 03:25 PM

It works great in the winter, here in East Tennessee's clear lakes..
Posted By: Rodslinger

Re: neko rig - 01/26/17 03:26 PM

I have been experimenting with it lately. I have been using a brush hog with a nail in the head and a smaller hook in the body. I use an o ring on the body to keep the hook. I have had great results. It makes the brush hog stand up in a totally different look. I use it that way more than standard t-rig.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: neko rig - 01/26/17 05:43 PM

Hybrid of the wacky and shaky head rigs. I have not used it yet, but am very curious. I would love to hear how some folks have done on Conroe, Sam, and Toledo with these and their set ups as far as rods and reels go.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: neko rig - 01/26/17 11:16 PM

I have had very good results. Like Rodslinger said, try different baits. I think a Bluegill Fluke nose down would be deadly during the spawn.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum