Texas Fishing Forum

Buff Suggestions

Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 03:37 PM

I need a buff. No amount of sunscreen and hats and reapplying sunscreen keeps me from getting red after a summer and it lasts all year long.

I need a powerful buff.

But, I want one that has a few characteristics

- Allow the mouth to breath, i.e. does not cover the mouth
- Does not look like an armed robber
- Wont stink too bad after an hour to want to wear anymore

Thats the wish list. But open to any suggestions. Willing to spend a little for a good quality
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 03:43 PM

Simms makes the best one I've used.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan90210
I need a buff. No amount of sunscreen and hats and reapplying sunscreen keeps me from getting red after a summer and it lasts all year long.

I need a powerful buff.

Thats the wish list. But open to any suggestions. Willing to spend a little for a good quality

I have the Buff brand regular Buff that covers my mouth but it breathes fine. Doesn't smell even in the summer. I do look like an armed robber but I've made my peace with that.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 03:51 PM

Simms Sun Gaiter

I feel you, I absolutely hate buffs that cover up my mouth! To be completely honest, I haven't found one that doesn't cover your mouth. So I settled on this one and it's not too bad. It does cover your mouth but the holes that are cut into it are pretty nice, so you at least don't feel your hot breath against your face in the 100 degree heat; that's the most annoying thing about buffs. During the peak of Summer I can get about 10 uses before it needs to be washed because of the nastiness. That's a lot better than others. The colors don't look like armed robbers, so you're good there. roflmao I think you'll be pleased with this one.
Posted By: dreamweaver96

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 03:57 PM

I got the salt armor ones because I could get 5 for 20 bucks. They cover the mouth, but do breathe pretty well and none of the brands I've had stink up unless you don't wash it for weeks.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 05:40 PM

Simms for quality.

SA for quantity you can rotate the buffs, they always have deals like 5 for $20.
Posted By: NathanD

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 05:59 PM

I had a regular Buff brand one but kept getting burned around my shirt collar. I switched to Buff UVX Head Mask since it tucks under my shirt and have no problems now. Worth the extra money in my opinion. I don't wear it over my mouth so I can't speak to how it breathes, but as a result I don't look like a bank robber. I have worn it on multiple days without washing and don't notice too much stink.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 06:08 PM

Aqua design
Posted By: aquaholic1822

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 06:15 PM

i have one of the columbia omni freeze buff/gaiter and its awesome, material is way better than the actual buff brand http://www.columbia.com/freezer-zero-nec...ies&start=3
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan90210

I need a powerful buff.

I like the Simms. Its the lightest/thinnest I've found. As far as looking like a robber, they all pretty much make you look like that. I hand wash mine in the sink after every 1-3 uses depending on how it smells. Good hygiene is your friend.
Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 06:22 PM

Simms!
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: dreamweaver96
I got the salt armor ones because I could get 5 for 20 bucks. They cover the mouth, but do breathe pretty well and none of the brands I've had stink up unless you don't wash it for weeks.

thumb
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 06:40 PM

Don't mind burnt lips?
Posted By: pelican

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 06:45 PM

Omni Freeze and keep it wet when it gets hot.
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 06:47 PM

I like the ones that cover the mouth with a vent for nose and mouth so your glasses don't fog up when you run in the AM. Huk makes one. The simms is also good. There used to be one called gator skin or something, but I think they went out of business. I am using the ones now that you can get at lowes, I have a few that are in the box. For me, the real key is the length. The longer the material, the more you can do with it. The cheap 5 for 20 ones are to short to do a regular sized person any real good IMHO.
Posted By: Rodney2100

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman

+1 on the aqua design. Get the pro version
Posted By: StratVoodoo

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 06:55 PM

I have the Buff brand as well as the SA's. Both are OK. Just a heads up, the HUK's run small.
Posted By: Connor S

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 10:42 PM

Simms Sun Gaiter

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Simms_SunGaiter/descpage-SSGA.html

here's why:
- breathing holes let you breath without fogging up your sunglasses
- taper of the bottom is shaped to cover your chest and neck but doesn't bunch up on your shoulders
-taper on the top lets you wrap it over your hat without squeezing your face.

plus it's UPF 50 and it's very durable and more stink proof than most that I've used.

My second favorite is the Guy Harvey Buff. very comfortable.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 10:59 PM

I've tried 4 or 5 different brands
You'll look like an armed robber, but for good sun protection without having to wear a hat or anything else, these are great. In order to get sun protection without sunscreen or a hat, you have to cover your face, skull, ears, and neck = bank robber look

Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/24/17 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
I've tried 4 or 5 different brands
You'll look like an armed robber, but for good sun protection without having to wear a hat or anything else, these are great. In order to get sun protection without sunscreen or a hat, you have to cover your face, skull, ears, and neck = bank robber look

I've seen you in that one. You look like a mummy woken from internal slumber and now looking at robbing a bank lol

I'm gonna order the Simms.

Thanks for the feedback fellas.
Posted By: lostinthewoods

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/25/17 02:20 AM

I wear the Gillz shirts, cant forget your buff, which I usually did.
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/25/17 04:28 AM

I've used several different brands, and Gillz is the best I've found.
Posted By: basseditor

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/25/17 10:30 AM

I like the Cabelas one too. I have a lot of different ones including the Simms. I wear a visor so I have a bill to shade my eyes, then pull this hood over the top to hold the visor on even when running.

On one of my (I have several) Cabelas brand, the mesh came off so I got some fabric glue to put it back in place. On the others, I reinforced the mesh with the glue before using them.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Buff Suggestions - 01/25/17 01:56 PM

Yes, fabric glue or the Loctite gel (if that's all you have in the boat) works well if the mesh needs reinforcing where it meets the SPF/breathable material.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum