Texas Fishing Forum

Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas

Posted By: Fisher421

Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/23/17 02:25 AM

I'm relocating from another state to somewhere outside of the Dallas area. I'm interested to know what lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas are good for bass. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Posted By: dreamweaver96

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/23/17 02:46 AM

Fork, Ray Hubbard, Lavon, Tawakoni, Cedar Creek, Grapevine, Ray Roberts, Richland Chambers. Those are the bigger ones. Depends on how far you want to drive and were exactly you're living. TX has some of the best fisheries in the nation. Some are really good, some are okay. None are completely terrible in my opinion. Good luck
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/23/17 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Fisher421
I'm relocating from another state to somewhere outside of the Dallas area.

which direction from dallas will you be? crossing the metroplex itself is an hour, so general direction would be helpful.

regardless there are tons of good fisheries within a 2 hr drive of any dfw suburb.

Generally speaking, the big ones include (in no particular order): Lavon, Ray Hubbard, Tawakoni, Fork, Bob Sandlin, Cedar Creek, Richland Chambers, Palestine, Texoma, Ray Roberts, Lewisville, Joe Pool

Smaller impoundments: Bonham, Winnsboro, Quitman, Holbrook, Hawkins, Fairfield, Athens, Cypress Springs, Monticello, Coffee Mill, Crockett, Squaw Creek

Posted By: David Burton

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/23/17 03:21 AM

Out west you have:

Granbury, Benbrook, Lake Worth, Bridgeport, Possum Kingdom, Aquilla

Only about an hour more east you have Lake o' the Pines, Caddo, the Red River (Shreveport)
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/23/17 01:37 PM

Living on the east side of Dallas has its advantages. I know people complain about Hubbard, Lavon, T-Wok, but those lakes hold some great fish.
Posted By: TX Rigged Senko

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/23/17 02:14 PM

Grapevine, Lewisville, Ray Hubbard, White Rock. Also there are local ponds to fish

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/24/17 03:07 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I knew of some of the bigger ones but didn't realize here were this many. I'm planning to live somewhere around either the Midlothian area or Grand Prairie near Joe Pool. Looking forward to lots of good fishing.

Thanks again.
Posted By: D Egge

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/24/17 03:40 AM

Where will you be working? Driving depends on a lot from where you live and work. I live by Denton and it takes a good 45 early in the am to get into Dallas
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/24/17 03:50 AM

Try this on for size! It's a clickable map of all the lakes in Texas, or at least enough to keep you busy a lifetime. Click a region and then you can either click by location or select from the alphabetized list. I spend lots of time with this tool.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/24/17 03:57 AM

I'll be working from a home office quite a bit with some travel to the airport and downtown some. I'm used to a 30 min drive now so I'll be ok with adding in a few more minutes.

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/24/17 04:01 AM

KD, this is a great tool. Very much appreciated! Will definitely spend some time using this.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/24/17 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Fisher421
KD, this is a great tool. Very much appreciated! Will definitely spend some time using this.

That area to the airport is good at 30 minutes, but 'downtown' is double (at least) what you are used to... Rush-Hour in DFW lasts from 6:30 - 9:30 AM and 4:30 - 7:00 PM
Posted By: kevindlew

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/24/17 05:31 AM

I live in nearby Mansfield. Hit me up on here when you get moved. In addition to all the Great Lakes mentioned, I can direct you to many nearby ponds.

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/24/17 02:17 PM

Thanks Kevin. I will take you up on that. Will be there when in a few weeks.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/24/17 02:59 PM

Joe Pool is prob the best secret in the DFW metroplex, no need to go far from that area
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/24/17 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Joe Pool is prob the best secret in the DFW metroplex, no need to go far from that area

Shhh
Posted By: JCHANDLER

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/25/17 01:31 AM

Palestine. hands down! 2.25 to ramp from Plano
Posted By: LakeForkLodge

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/25/17 01:55 AM

I've gotta waterfront house for sale on Fork. 1.15 to downtown Dallas. smile

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 01/25/17 02:47 AM

send me a link...

Re: Best Lakes within a couple of hours of Dallas - 03/20/17 03:45 PM

Hi Kevin. I made it to town and just closed on the house this morning in Midlothian. The boys are already talking about fishing. Can I take you up on your offer to help find some off the local ponds for them? Thanks!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum