Texas Fishing Forum

80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities

Posted By: tbates

80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/21/17 09:50 PM

I just bought one because my old 5 speed motor guide was super loud and lost speeds 3-5. I haven't got to use it yet because it's been so gawd awful windy lately. Which brings up my question for all my fellow Terrova owners out there.

How windy is too windy for spot lock on an 80 lb thrust Terrova.

Posted By: Kens3313

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/21/17 10:58 PM

What size boat?
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/21/17 11:02 PM

mine will hold my Ranger rt188 up to 25mph, after that I cant say,..I be headed to the house.. bolt

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/21/17 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Kens3313
What size boat?

ZX 185
Posted By: ScottCook

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/22/17 12:53 AM

Considering all the little adjustments the motor makes on spot lock to hold position, I feel pretty certain that spot lock will hold a boat position better than a person can with a foot or hand control.

I stayed within 1 to 2 feet indicated on the remote on Granbury yesterday in 10-15 mph winds and the majority of the time it stayed on spot.

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/22/17 01:23 AM

I can't wait to try it out and no longer have to wait for winds to be less than 10 MPH to fish! I'm gonna take it to Alan Henry on the calmest day we have had in a a few weeks. Winds are going to be 20 MPH sustained by lunch.

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/22/17 01:11 PM

Any other experiences with the Terrova in moderate to high winds?
Posted By: jbobo

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/22/17 02:14 PM

It should hold your boat fairly well even when the waves come over the bow between 20 and 25 mph. After a while the excitement of being able to stay out in that wind wears off and it gets to be a beating. It's hard to dead stick in big waves too. Watch your battery power cause it will use much more than you are use to. Good luck and stay safe!
Posted By: Bruce Bullard

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/22/17 02:15 PM

Ranger Z20 holds fairly well 15-20,expect 10 foot drifts and constantly adjusting.

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/22/17 02:19 PM

Sounds like it holds about as much as you can stand it. I bet it's still better than fighting to get back to your spot after you step off to re-tie or land a fish.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/22/17 02:43 PM

It really depends on whether you bought the new model or old model. I have the first generation terrova on my zx185 and it will easily move 15' one direction in stiff wind.

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/22/17 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
It really depends on whether you bought the new model or old model. I have the first generation terrova on my zx185 and it will easily move 15' one direction in stiff wind.

It's the Terrova 80 lb us2 60". I was told at cabelas that is was the last one before the 2017 models come out. Not sure which generation it is.
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/23/17 02:06 AM

Tbates, what size boat do you have? I have a 101 on a ZX 225 and I'll tell you that the only thing that will knock me off of a spot is poor battery management. Buy good batteries, maintain the water levels and that thing will run like me a champ. I've lasted over hours in 25 mph winds with waves crashing over the front of the boat the whole day. Only thing made us go in was cranking battery dies and we had to swap a trolling motor battery to start the boat!

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/23/17 02:40 AM

It's a ZX185. Sounds like it will hold my little boat well!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/23/17 03:13 AM

You'll have plenty of power, you just won't have pin point spotlock like the new models will be able to give. As long as you aren't fishing a brush pipe then you will be ok.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/23/17 07:02 AM

Really no such thing as to windy. It is no different than any other trolling motor, get a long enough shaft and the proper size for the boat. It might use more battery but so would any other unit that you are using to be out there.

The biggest problem for me is when there is a really strong wind and large waves but they aren't lined up. Besides the boat pulling forward, you start having it pulling left and right also. That gets annoying really quick as well as easy to get thrown out of the boat when it sits sideways on high.
Posted By: vicbass22

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/23/17 07:21 PM

In windy conditions, pull up past the spot u want to fish, let ur 60"shaft all the way down, spot lock it n go to back of boat, n fish away, not as rough in the back.
Posted By: Raul Perez

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/23/17 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: tbates
I just bought one because my old 5 speed motor guide was super loud and lost speeds 3-5. I haven't got to use it yet because it's been so gawd awful windy lately. Which brings up my question for all my fellow Terrova owners out there.

How windy is too windy for spot lock on an 80 lb thrust Terrova.

I have one and love, its held at falcons windy days, think the weatherman suggested 10-15mph. Also it really depends on the batteries charge, if they are weak it will kick off the spot lock.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: 80 lb Thrust Terrova Capabilities - 01/23/17 09:05 PM

I fished on Alan Henry yesterday. Hopped from secondary point to secondary point in the creeks. Put the trolling motor on spot lock, went to the back of the boat and took a seat. Never had to worry about adjusting the trolling motor, just sat back and fished.

Didn't catch anything on the points.

Caught all my fish on suspending jerkbaits outside the trees, although no overs.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum