Texas Fishing Forum

Best $100 Casting Reel

Posted By: SlowDown

Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 01:17 PM

Is there a casting reel for about $100 that stands out from the heard? I've been using spinning gear most of the time for a few years and have lost touch with which casting reels in this class are the most popular. I will use it on a MH 7' rod for plastics and jigs. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Posted By: Mitch York

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 02:24 PM

Lews SSG1SH $99.00
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: friedwatermelon420
Lews SSG1SH $99.00
Posted By: RonL

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 02:43 PM

The BPS Pro Qualifer, the Abu Garcia Orra SX, or the Lew's Speed Spool

BPS Pro Qualifier

Abu Garcia

Lews Speed Spool

I also have a ABu Garcis Pro Max that I really like . I have a Lews BB1 but a lot of times I leave it home and use the AG Pro Max .
Abu Garcia Pro Max
Posted By: Cole P

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 02:47 PM

The original Shimano Curado. You can pick them up used easily for $100 or less. And it will outlast anything you buy new.
Posted By: Wes H

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 02:50 PM

Diawa Tatula CT. $107 at Walmart online with free shipping. Absolutely amazing reel for the price.
Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 02:53 PM

Tatula ct you can get them for like $95 on eBay
Posted By: dreamweaver96

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 02:56 PM

Like others, my vote is for the Lews lfs speed spool. I've got 3 and I love them. No complaints!
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Ian f

Great reel. I'm sure the others are fine to, but I know for a fact these are very good reels for the money.
Posted By: RudyDep

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 03:00 PM

I like the Abu Garcia Revo S3. Never thought I would have said that but, I like it more than my Quantum Smokes and Curado's...
Posted By: bluebonnet2

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 03:39 PM

good morning,

bps pro quailifier.........set internal brakes on two and external brake on about 3-4, adjust tension knob to the bait and cast away.........excellent warrenty and you can catch them on sale on occasion....i have 6 of 'em.....

good luck,
PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 03:53 PM

The BPS Pro Qualifier and the Lew's Speed Spool are all the reel I need.
Posted By: Jswanz58

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 04:10 PM

Shimano casitis is a great reel
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 04:37 PM

The $99 reel from Lews is a great bargain. I am not sure, but I believe that Lews is the only company that puts 8 or more bearings in a reel under $100. Please correct me if there is another.

Also, the BPS Pro Qualifier is a heck of a reel as well. About two or three times a year, you can get the BPS Pro Qualifier for $75 instead of the normal $99
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 05:09 PM

Shimano Caenan 150

To me, the Shimano Caenan stands out over other reels. Why? Because I don't think there is a smoother reel in it's price range. Remember, Shimano also makes bike gears, and they need to be smooth for those cyclists. They take some of their bike technology and put it into reels. I've owned other reels in the same price range but the Caenan blows them all away. To be honest, I see no reason to go above the Caenan and get a Curado, it's just as good if you ask me. It's a great reel at a great price.
Posted By: FishTheBite

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 05:30 PM

Diawa Fuegos, which according to what I have read is a Tatula without the t shaped level wind, are available on E-bay for around $80. They have 12 bearings. I have not fished with it yet but the one I just bought seems very well made and is smooth as silk.

I will have to say though that the most comfortable reels I have ever used are the BPS pro qualifiers. They really have a great shape to them.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 09:37 PM

I use both the Abu Orra SX and Diawa Tatula and both have performed excellent.
Posted By: Connor S

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Cole P
The original Shimano Curado. You can pick them up used easily for $100 or less. And it will outlast anything you buy new.

Or the new Curado on ebay for 130
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 10:40 PM

Tacklewarehouse has Orra Winch on sale for $79. Great deep crankbait reel or A-rig reel.
Posted By: skeeterbugzx300

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/11/17 10:51 PM

lews lfs
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/12/17 02:51 AM

2 Abu Garcia Black Max 3s ....... Wal-Mart
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/12/17 03:15 AM

This one!
Originally Posted By: JFSwanzy
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/12/17 04:29 AM

which is female friendly easier to cast for a female that doesn't backlash easy or at a minimum.
thanks

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/12/17 04:56 AM

Thank all of you very much. I greatly appreciate your replies and will select from this list after handling some of them.
Posted By: RonL

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/13/17 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master
which is female friendly easier to cast for a female that doesn't backlash easy or at a minimum.
thanks

Most of those reels can be adjusted for backlash , just be careful when casting in the beginning and let her get use to that type of reel slowly .Make sure the spool brake isn't too loose .
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/13/17 06:53 PM

Cabelas has the Revo S reels on sale.....$99.99
Posted By: 361V

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/13/17 08:09 PM

The best $100 reel is a $179 retail reel for under $100 on Amazon shipped to your house for no tax and free shipping. Spend a few minutes surfing the web!

Posted By: Michael.Beaty

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/13/17 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: jcarring99
Originally Posted By: Ian f

Great reel. I'm sure the others are fine to, but I know for a fact these are very good reels for the money.

Another tatula vote super smooth for the price
Posted By: eenrique405

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/14/17 01:44 PM

Id highly recommend Kastking brand. For the price you'll be pleasantly surprised.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010MAVO0...&ref=plSrch
Posted By: saibling

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/14/17 02:40 PM

With reel advancements in technology the market is awash with solid reels, but if you are looking for a deal try Academy's off brand H2o for 59-85 dollars. Reel has lifetime warrantee, with receipt, similar braking system as Shimano, cover plate opens easily without disconnecting. If you haven't used casting reels in awhile you can't go wrong. Of course if your willing to break the 100.00 mark there are some awesome reels, good luck and tight lines
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/14/17 03:06 PM

Agree with Saibling. It seems $100 is the magic number to climb in to the quality reels from most of the major manufacturers. At that point is seems to be about preference for the most part.

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/14/17 04:42 PM

If you buy a reel on eBay and have a problem during the warranty period, I guess you would deal directly with the manufacturer, right? Have you ever had that experience?
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/14/17 04:58 PM

Lew's Speed Spool.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/14/17 05:08 PM

Lots of very good reels mentioned. I would not get a Kastking. I have two, one from 2015 still works great, and the same model from 2016--it was grindy and clunky right out of the box. Opened it up and one of the gears was in diagonally, fixed it and it now runs fine.

I also have a Daiwa Aird, and two Daiwa Lagunas which all run great and can be found at times less than $50.

Wish I could comment on the H2O Mettle, but they don't make Left Hand retrieve.

Another one not mentioned (I have three and they are my favorite reels)

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/14/17 10:49 PM

Well, after doing my homework, I ordered a new Lew's Speed Spool LFS Reel, SSG1SH, on eBay from catfishsupplyco (73971) for about $83, to be delivered to my door on January 25.

Among other things, I like the frame design with the line guide further from the spool to avoid sharper angles and less friction of line coming off the spool, for longer cast when needed. Also a strong aluminum frame, which will take more stress without flexing and pulling gears out of aleignment.

I have a Diawa Tatula with the T Wing that flips up to cast, and can cast it a mile. Could have gotten another one from the same seller for almost the same price as the Lew's Speed Spool. But I had a Speed Spool years ago, loved it, so decided to give the LFS a try.

Now, I have to pick out a good 7' MH casting rod to match up with the Lew's reel, so will shift my attention to doing that. Will start by looking at a local Academy for convenience, 15 minutes from my house.

Thanks again for all the help. Greatly appreciate it. And if you have a rod to recommend, please speak up.
Posted By: RudyDep

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/16/17 03:13 AM

AbuGarcia Veritas
St Croix Mojobass
Falcon BuCoo
Posted By: CrankBait1007

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/16/17 06:47 AM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Lots of very good reels mentioned. I would not get a Kastking. I have two, one from 2015 still works great, and the same model from 2016--it was grindy and clunky right out of the box. Opened it up and one of the gears was in diagonally, fixed it and it now runs fine.

I also have a Daiwa Aird, and two Daiwa Lagunas which all run great and can be found at times less than $50.

Wish I could comment on the H2O Mettle, but they don't make Left Hand retrieve.

Another one not mentioned (I have three and they are my favorite reels)

+1 great reel best at throwing crankbaits grin
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/16/17 02:24 PM

Buy two AG Black Max reels, and have $ left for other gear.....been fishing them for a while....best value in fishing gear today.
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/16/17 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: fish 'till I drop
Well, after doing my homework, I ordered a new Lew's Speed Spool LFS Reel, SSG1SH, on eBay from catfishsupplyco (73971) for about $83, to be delivered to my door on January 25.

Among other things, I like the frame design with the line guide further from the spool to avoid sharper angles and less friction of line coming off the spool, for longer cast when needed. Also a strong aluminum frame, which will take more stress without flexing and pulling gears out of aleignment.

I have a Diawa Tatula with the T Wing that flips up to cast, and can cast it a mile. Could have gotten another one from the same seller for almost the same price as the Lew's Speed Spool. But I had a Speed Spool years ago, loved it, so decided to give the LFS a try.

Now, I have to pick out a good 7' MH casting rod to match up with the Lew's reel[/color], so will shift my attention to doing that. Will start by looking at a local Academy for convenience, 15 minutes from my house.

Thanks again for all the help. Greatly appreciate it. And if you have a rod to recommend, please speak up.[/color]

Take a look at the Dobyns Rods Fury series. These are Dobyns' entry-level rods starting at $109.
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/18/17 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: dreamweaver96
Like others, my vote is for the Lews lfs speed spool. I've got 3 and I love them. No complaints!

+1
Posted By: TX Rigged Senko

Re: Best $100 Casting Reel - 01/29/17 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: basscatcher01

Bingo! For spinning check out the Daiwa Revros 2500. Both are fine reels for the money!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum